Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Low Speed Control
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

philagnes2003
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/27/2016 :  12:32:22  Show Profile
So this year I had 2 close calls (Already) when maneuvering in close spaces, one was a 3 point turn that I just could not get the bow around. The other backing out of the slip (Wind). I have wheel steering and a mew 9.9 Mercury with binnacle mounted Edson controls. I am ready for a Hard or Soft link. How dramatic of an improvement is made? Ready to try the soft link.

Any thoughts?

Mac's Bounty
2003 C250 WK #679
Orient Harbor, NY

If you think you can, or think you can't, pretty soon you find out your are right! H.F.

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2016 :  15:25:27  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
When I had the hard link on my old 2-stroke engine, I really liked it, it made it really easy to maneuver in and out of the marina. My new(er) Tohatsu 4-stroke required a scissors extension, and making a viable hard link has evaded me after several tries. I also tried using Arlyn's soft link, but that didn't work so well either. I now just adjust the angle of the outboard by it's tiller handle if I need to. It's nowhere near as convenient, but I've gotten used to it.

If you're experiencing maneuvering problems at low speed, I can vouch for the efficacy of a hard link, and I'm sure others will vouch for the soft link. To directly answer your question, there's a dramatic difference to be had when your outboard swings in concert with your rudder (at low speed).

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page

philagnes2003
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2016 :  16:48:56  Show Profile
Thanks I may start with the soft link, then possibly move up to the hard link. Why did the soft link fail you?

Mac's Bounty
2003 C250 WK #679
Orient Harbor, NY

If you think you can, or think you can't, pretty soon you find out your are right! H.F.
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2016 :  21:16:58  Show Profile
Hard link pics about 1/3 of the way down the page:

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=20807&whichpage=3

Parts were made by Stearns for a kicker motor on fishing boats and modified for my use. Last I saw, it was no longer being sold under the Stearns label, but might be available under different brand names:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/33707634?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227022258874&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=52620881471&wl4=pla-84496910351&wl5=9007270&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=33707634&wl13=&veh=sem

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

philagnes2003
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2016 :  06:05:51  Show Profile
I just ordered the Panther link, Thanks, stay tuned.

Mac's Bounty
2003 C250 WK #679
Orient Harbor, NY

Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2016 :  06:17:09  Show Profile
Nice to see that you can get them again. Stearns appeared to have discontinued them for a few years, and friends couldn't find them. Panther appears to be a different brand name for the same parent company, so it should be exactly the same thing. For anyone interested, there are several variants of this listed on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=panther+steering+kit

By coincidence, I was in WestMarine yesterday and saw that they had the zinc coated version in stock. The SS version costs about double, and was available as the "saltwater" version on the WalMart website that I linked above.

In my design, I also made use of some 1" aluminum angle iron, and a few screws and nylon washers to fabricate the bracket at the top of the rudder. Also, you can see in my linked pictures that the outboard does not turn at the exact same angle as the rudder -- it turns a little less. Getting them to turn at the exact same angle would have required a much longer extension arm back from the rudder, which I thought would increase stress on the rudder. Also, that would have limited the movement of the rudder to match the motor's turning limitations. I found that even though the motor and rudder weren't perfectly parallel when turning, the maneuverability of the boat was still significantly enhanced.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 07/05/2016 06:27:39
Go to Top of Page

philagnes2003
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2016 :  06:57:14  Show Profile
All done, Really the project went very well, no lost parts or tools. The link is of a very high quality. I have not tested it as of yet. Need to add some foam on the link like you did. This with binnacle mounted controls should make a huge improvement.

Thanks for your help and advise.

Mac's Bounty
2003 C250 WK #679
Orient Harbor, NY

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page