Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Checking lights on de-rigged mast
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doublereefed
Navigator

Member Avatar

167 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/16/2016 :  15:02:26  Show Profile
I need the check the anchor, motoring, and deck lights on my new-to-me 1995 C250 WB. I'll do this while my mast is (currently down so I can make repairs if needed. I see a four pin plug... 3 lights, 1 common I presume? I plan to just play with it until I find the common. Is it any more complicated than this? The boat isn't in the driveway, so thought I'd ask before I drive out to the lake.

Thanks!

-Richard

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2016 :  18:03:00  Show Profile
You are correct, three lights and one common. I did exactly the same thing to determine the common.

You should do it in two parts - first check voltage supply to the receptacle (vs. common, of course), then check continuity on the plug. If you don't have continuity, then you've got either a burnt out bulb, corroded connector, broken wire, etc. Open up the connectors and check the little set screws. If things look corroded, you might even just buy a new connector now. I like the plastic one - you can find chrome ones, but they can corrode and the heavy hard plug might take a chunk out of your gelcoat.

Here's a very crude pinout diagram from my experiments, with wire color from my boat. The "V" is the little orientation notch in the connector. Yours might be different, but at least this might speed up your locating the common.

Looking down on deck receptacle:

G - com V W - Steam
B - Deck R - Anchor

Looking down at plug:

W - Steam V G - Com
R - Anchor B - Deck

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2016 :  20:24:05  Show Profile
Rick, fantastic info. Thanks so much. I'll be working on this later this week.

Best!

-Richard

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2016 :  20:27:58  Show Profile
All the lights checked out.

The deck light seems to be missing the lens, and the running light lens is crazed. Can anyone point me to a source to replace both lenses?

Thanks,

-Richard

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page

mdidomenico
1st Mate

Members Avatar

71 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2016 :  04:28:24  Show Profile
the deck light doesn't come with a lens. and you can get a new one from catalina direct. i just replaced all the lights on my boat with ones from them
Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 05/22/2016 :  17:24:54  Show Profile
Thanks, I'll check out Catalina Direct...

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page

jefferydfloyd
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2016 :  15:12:16  Show Profile  Visit jefferydfloyd's Homepage
I purchased a 4 pin deck connector from Catalina Direct and attached trailer wire to each end... it worked perfectly... I now test my lights every spring before stepping the mast. Here is a pic of the tester

Jeff Floyd
Go to Top of Page

kjk
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
91 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2016 :  17:26:51  Show Profile
My recollection was that the CD replacement had the common ground plug longer than the other wire plugs. Matching the colors were ridiculous. The manual had one set of colors, the boat had colors that were different. Trial, and much error...

Kevin J. Kiely
Rockport, MA
1999WK
Hull # 407
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page