Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 swing keel trunk moves side to side when sailing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sgmartin6
Deckhand

Member Avatar

1 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/22/2014 :  18:40:34  Show Profile
When sailing our 1980 Cat.25 #2067 S/K in the Gulf of Mexico in a 1' to 2' sea the swing keel trunk moves side to side ( port to starboard to port) about 1" to 2" with the swing keel down to 3'-4' . This alarms me because with this much age , how brittle is the fiberglass
and how much movement would it take to break the fiberglass trunk ,fill the boat with water and sink it . Can anyone relate to
this observation ?

Edited by - on

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 06/22/2014 :  18:54:28  Show Profile
Number one, put the keel all the way down. The keel trunk shouldn't be heavily loaded. Either the pivot pin or the hole it goes through in the keel is worn, or both. I would guess that it "klunks" when you tack. It needs to be addressed, and their are a number of threads on dropping the keel on the trailer and doing the repair.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 06/22/2014 :  19:37:28  Show Profile
Sgmartin6 - I'm surprised to hear that the trunk is moving but actually isn't leaking. FYI, the fiberglass of the trunk really isn't meant to flex or be structural. Its main intend is to form a place for the keel to rest and make the large cavity waterproof. Considering the this is below the waterline, any breach in the trunk could easily sink the boat. In addition to David's suggestion of keeping the keel fully down, this should also apply when the boat is moored if possible. I would get this issue corrected ASAP.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

indecentseas
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Response Posted - 06/22/2014 :  20:43:36  Show Profile
This is a longshot but last year I kept hearing a thud sound coming from my keel. I reached out to the forum. In the end it turned out, to my embarrassment, that my keel was not fully down. I raised and relowered it. The periodic bang sound went away.

Here is a link to that thread. Those suggestions may apply to your situation.

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/pop_printer_friendly.asp?TOPIC_ID=27114

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/22/2014 :  20:45:37  Show Profile
We can't see where you are, but I'd have a qualified structural (not cosmetic) fiberglass person inspect it. I think (but don't know) the front of the trunk, where the pivot pin is, should be anchored to a transverse stringer to support it against the leverage of the keel. If that connection has been broken, the trunk is vulnerable. This could conceivably be caused by something like the keel catching on something while the boat is moving sideways, as at anchor or on a mooring, or the boat being set down on the raised keel (which should never happen).

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/22/2014 20:45:57
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 06/23/2014 :  03:55:27  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
And welcome to the Forum. Your'e the 2nd new arrival in the Gulf states in the past few days.

If you have not yet done so: Please register your boat with the association (click on the 'Boat Search' link above left).

As always, you'll get a lot of support from the Members and Forum Users, so visit often and post those questions! Even old ones.

Again: Welcome.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jweikel625
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
59 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2014 :  07:45:14  Show Profile  Visit Jweikel625's Homepage
Having just repaired my keel trunk this spring, that trunk should not move at all. Based on your description, you need to inspect it and fix it asap. I had a professional glass mine and it is solid as a rock. Never moved!
Sorry my links are not updated to show progress but Annie is in the water now and sails great.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page