Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Potty Training
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/05/2014 :  12:31:00  Show Profile
So, we picked up a new Jabsco compact manual head today and I am planning on installing within the next week or so. It will be replacing an older/original Jabsco compact head without the locking mechanism and from what I've read, should bolt in with minimal modifications.

I've searched through a few different threads on the installation but was wondering if anyone that has done this replacement has a few tricks that would be helpful for me during the process.

A couple questions for example..

I am assuming i should pump the tank prior to the job so that I don't get any overflow, right?

Is there a way of doing this without making a nasty mess in the boat?

Etc..

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053

Edited by - on

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2014 :  17:00:59  Show Profile
Well, out with the old! Wasn't too bad getting it out. I am going have to drill new holes for the base as well as figure out a way to get the waste hose to make a 90 degree turn to the toilet. I guess I will see if I can add in a U joint or something. I'll leave that for tomorrow.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2014 :  18:17:52  Show Profile
On my Raritan there were multiple "tail pieces" available as accessories, one of which was a rotating L and the other was a straight piece.

You already did the hard part. Hopefully you emptied the tank, filled it with water, and repeated a couple of times to have a mostly clean tank!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2014 :  05:09:46  Show Profile
So today after work I'm off to pick up the pieces I need and hopefully finish installation tonight.

One thing I've been contemplating is plumbing it into the "fresh" water tank. Since I was just pouring gallon jugs in the toilet and i am still too fearful of even touching the to-hull till next haul out, this might be a good solution. Considering as-is i would never drink any water that has been in that tank and would rather not even wash my hands with it until all lines and fittings have been replaced (which I think is a project for further down the line). I am thinking i might just try to take the forward sink water line and plumb it to the sink drain to feed the toilet. This would let me carry jugs of water on the boat to drink, and just use the tank for flushing. I've ran water and somewhat cleaned the tank a little bit, but I am only worried to fill the tank up and have one of the fittings somewhere in the lines leak all that water into the bilge. I suppose I could try it and see if it holds. If not, stick to the jug flush method until I can replace those lines.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2014 :  19:07:15  Show Profile
Wham bamm, thank you Ma'am! Got it in and workin great. Just in time time to take out our pregnant friend tomorrow. Cleaned up the inside as well and added some new decorations. Threw on the 150 for the light winds tomorrow, should be nice and relaxing.

New pot..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1234 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2014 :  06:49:22  Show Profile
Looks good. The throne is now ready for its king.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PZell
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
548 Posts

Response Posted - 06/08/2014 :  06:33:58  Show Profile
Just saw your thread. Did the same about a week ago. The outlet to holding tank can be swiveled to any direction, but I guess you figured that out. It also was easy installation for me, just needed new base bolts.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Arlington
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
196 Posts

Response Posted - 06/23/2014 :  22:15:22  Show Profile
Dave on my 89, the water for filling the bowl and flushing the commode is supplied from the through hull that also serves the drain from the sink (in the head).

This is not the through hull that is connected to the Wye valve serving your new Jabsco Head, (that allows you to discharge into the ocean when you are more than 3-miles out at sea).

I wouldn't want to risk possibly contaminating my fresh water tank, or using the 'potential' drinking water in my fresh water tank for flushing. (I was able to clean out my tank, as well as the water lines and the whale flipper pumps. Even though the water is indeed cleaner, I still only use it for dish washing, hand washing and cooking. But not for drinking, unless it was my last choice).
Doug

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page