Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Tohatsu outboards
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

machaya21
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
6 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/06/2014 :  18:25:14  Show Profile
Need a history of use of Tohatsu 9.8 hp long shaft(25"),4 stroke. Pro and con. Thank you.

Edited by - on

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2014 :  04:56:17  Show Profile
This question comes up frequently. I purchased one sometime around '07 or '08. It has been flawless with the exception that the low speed idle jet needed to be cleaned twice. That was before I started running all the fuel out of it after an outing. Hasn't been a problem since.

I will give the same advice I do when this question comes up. Spend the extra money and get a Mercury. It is built by Tohatsu. However, Mercury places the controls on the tiller and you don't need to reach back to put the motor in forward or reverse.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

kc5dlo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2014 :  05:29:08  Show Profile
I have had zero problems with mine in the year and a half that I have owned it. It was just less than a year old when i got it. Controls on the tiller would be a plus depending on the added cost.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2014 :  05:53:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Davy J

Spend the extra money and get a Mercury. It is built by Tohatsu. However, Mercury places the controls on the tiller and you don't need to reach back to put the motor in forward or reverse.

Ditto..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2014 :  07:52:07  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
If I were of the mind to go with brandy new... I'd give Lehr propane a fair shake. I don't want to start yet another debate about issues with gasoline, but it goes without saying that any fuel quality issues disappear with propane. There are some other advantages as well, including generally a more stable fuel source that can also be used in a grill.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2014 :  08:33:18  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
I,m on my second engine.

First one siezed when I started it with no oil duh.

Was able to free it up in the garage and it ran like a champ from then on.

But we took JD over to bimini and the Admiral felt better if we had a new engine.

Sold the original with full disclaimer.

New is a Nissan, same engine just different logo.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2014 :  10:39:05  Show Profile
My 5 year old Merc Bigfoot, Tohatsu power head, had a cracked fuel nozzle in the carb once. It has had no other problems, so I'll attest to the Tohatsu powerhead. The Bigfoot has a real price premium over the Tohatsu. The Bigfoot has some other advantages besides the single twist for F/R and throttle- bigger gears and bearings and a more gear reduction for a displacement hull, but the Tohatsu delivers reliable power for a good price. I was going to get the Tohatsu, but the Admiral said that for as long as these things last, you might as well spend the extra. Who can argue when the Admiral suggests spending more boat bucks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

moserd
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2014 :  10:11:08  Show Profile
I also have the Mercury with the gear shift in the throttle. I do NOT like the arrangement and would much prefer to have the gear shift on the side of the motor.

Reasons:
It is difficult for a novice to determine which way to rotate the throttle to shift into which gear. Sometimes I get confused and I have used it since 2005

It requires more force to shift gears than what I am used to with a 'normal' shifter on the side of the motor.

Maintenance on the throttle is more complicated.... cable connections rather than a simple mechanical linkage.

So in conclusion: would I buy another? Probably not however I would try a 'normal' shifter again before I would make the final decision. The 'idea' of a shifter on the throttle is very good, just don't like Mercury's execution of the idea.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

machaya21
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
6 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2014 :  16:13:52  Show Profile
Thank You for your opinions. Of all that I have looked at, Tohatsu 9.8 offers alot for the money,especially weight,thrust(prop),charger and easy shift(front).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Reality
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Response Posted - 06/22/2014 :  12:50:49  Show Profile
Does anyone know if a Mercury 8.375x6 prop is the same as the Tohatsu? Got a good deal on a 6HP Tohatsu but I would like the high thrust prop.

Edited by - Reality on 06/22/2014 12:52:48
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 06/22/2014 :  15:08:10  Show Profile
I believe that the Tohatsu and Nissan motors have the shifter in the front of the engine, on the left, no longer on the side of the engine. Makes it much easier to reach.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

tomh
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
83 Posts

Response Posted - 06/22/2014 :  16:13:43  Show Profile
I just recently launched after 18 months of storage. It was stored upright but transported on it's side as the owners manual says. Once launched, the motor wouldn't start due to oil in the cylinders. Other message boards agreed that they had the same problem.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 06/23/2014 :  08:42:13  Show Profile
One of the reasons car manufacturers list a time and mileage limit for oil changes is even if you have low use of an engine the oil retains the corrosive elements that combustion creates and over time these elements will attack the internals of the engine. If you are removing an engine for storage it would be a good idea to drain the oil first to eliminate the corrosion threat and also to avoid the possibility of oil seeping into the cylinders. 9.8 Tohatsu's use less than a quart of oil so it is definitely time and money well spent.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2014 :  19:20:37  Show Profile
Anyone have any idea if tohatsu's have a wasted spark ignition system? Meaning the spark plug fires every revolution. Or if they only fire on the power stroke. Much appreciated.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2014 :  21:36:42  Show Profile
Don't know for sure, but the Mercury version has electronic ignition. I would be surprised if any current outboard has wasted spark, a leftover from the days of straight magneto ignition. Magnetos, of course, are still present, but the control module distributes the spark

Edited by - Dave5041 on 06/25/2014 21:39:48
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2014 :  05:16:43  Show Profile
Thats what I would have figured but Im getting weird readings from the tachometer I installed. It just wraps around the plug wire and you set it to pickup either from every other revolution, every revolution or twice a revolution. I first set it on every other revolution because that seemed to make sense for a four stroke but I was getting strange readings. I set it to every revolution and that seemed to be closer at least at idle, but when out on the water with the motor up what seemed to be pretty high it was only showing like 2,300rpm rather then the 5,300 of the operating speed. I expected it to be lower because of the incorrect prop which is really the reason I installed the tach, so that I could really determine if it is smart for me to get a different prop. If I set the tach to every other revolution that should double the reading to around 4,600rpm which would make a little more sense but then my idle i definitely too high. I'm goin out this evening so I change that setting and see the difference it makes.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2014 :  08:00:58  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
We have a tach on JD's Nissan, it too has the lead that wraps around the ignition wire.

We typically motor at about 1900 rpm at 4~5 knots, rarely do we take it above 2100 rpm and that is nowhere near Wide Open Throttle (we have never wound it up that far!)

I believe we have the [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Engine-Tach-Tachometer-Hour-Meter-Gauge-Inductive-for-Racing-Motorcycle/301051061682?_trksid=p0.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D23346%26meid%3D7893412575883029787%26pid%3D100204%26prg%3D9919%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D301221550718"]Tiny Tach.[/url]

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JPS109
Deckhand

Members Avatar

20 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2014 :  11:56:54  Show Profile
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28270

Here is a discussion of the Tohatsu vs. Yamaha. The Yamaha's controls and performance are better than the Tohatsu. More expensive, but worth the money in my opinion.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2014 :  21:26:02  Show Profile
Note that he was comparing a standard shaft Tohatsu to an XLS Yamaha with a high thrust prop. 9.9hp is 9.9 hp at a given RPM. Power at the prop can vary between manufacturers d/t gear train design, but a 9.9 standard shaft anything will be a terrible performer. Put a bigger, flatter prop on any XLS and it will move our boats fine. There are other reasons to choose a particular brand, but how it moves your boat means that you must compare equivalent models.. That Yammy still has a Tohatsu powerhead, just like my Mercury.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2014 :  16:41:51  Show Profile
I believe the HP on modern outboards is rated at the prop. As stated above that would be at a given RPM.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2014 :  20:58:13  Show Profile
I have one purchased in 2007 and on a moored boat in salt water. Up until this past year it has mechanically operated flawlessly - ad I love the combination of low weight, electric start, and decent power. The cover/cowl/hood has been a problem since day one as it does not want to stay on the engine. As I bought it from Online Outboards and it was shipped to me I have thought that possibly the cover and/or metal base was damaged in shipment causing the problems. As dumb as it may seem, the cover has almost fallen off in rough water and is a real concern. This past year the carburetor failed, most likely because of the combination of lack of use (I often sail off and onto the mooring) and the gas used. Regardless, the fact that their are so few Tohatsu service dealers has been a concern. And IF a qualified dealer were available these combined issues, I believe, would be resolved easily. So, in your decision tree consider who will be servicing the engine and if they are comfortable with the Tohatsu brand. I am still looking or a qualified mechanic to get mine back into service however if I can not find someone I will be forced to look into buying an engine from a more mainstream supplier, such Yamaha or Mercury.

Edited by - bigelowp on 06/28/2014 20:41:22
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2014 :  09:14:29  Show Profile
My 5 horse has a sticky float valve that sometimes decided the gas will not flow. I understand all orifice are smaller on 4 strokes so more likely to have issues.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2014 :  06:50:52  Show Profile
That Tiny Tac looks interesting, I was wondering where you mounted the display and are they water proof?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2014 :  08:47:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DavidBuoy

...Im getting weird readings from the tachometer I installed. It just wraps around the plug wire and you set it to pickup either from every other revolution, every revolution or twice a revolution. I first set it on every other revolution because that seemed to make sense for a four stroke but I was getting strange readings. I set it to every revolution and that seemed to be closer at least at idle, but when out on the water with the motor up what seemed to be pretty high it was only showing like 2,300rpm rather then the 5,300 of the operating speed...

Could it be that the wire is sensing the pulse in the other spark wire? Do you have it wrapped at a place where it's reasonably separated from the other wire?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2014 :  09:06:29  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
We have the Tiny Tach mounted on the bar at the front of the engine. It's attached with a couple of tie-wraps.

It's supposed to be water proof, there is no method of opening it, totally sealed.

However, it has been impacted by UV and the 7 year old tach is now hard to read, but it's still working.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2014 :  10:13:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by britinusa

We have the Tiny Tach mounted on the bar at the front of the engine...
Neat little device. I assume you have it set for one spark per revolution (for a 2-cylinder 4-stroke). (?)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page