Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Refinishing Question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johngfoster
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
34 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/08/2014 :  13:47:38  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

I am the proud partner/owner of a 1984 Capri 25 that we picked up over the winter. Overall, it seems to be in good shape. However, it appears external wood trim and companionway hatch and boards have not seen any oil in MANY years. Yesterday I took all the wood trim off the outside to sand it down and re-oil it. Had to dig out the plugs to get to the screws. One thing I noticed was that in order to remove the wood around the companionway, I had to remove the interior wood trim to get at the screws. In doing this I found the interior trim seemed to be glued to the fiberglass headliner with a thick almost putty-like substance.

My question is that when the time comes to put it all back together, am I going to need to seal it to the cabin top with some kind of epoxy or putty, or should I be able to just screw it back in place once it is oiled/refinished. We are really looking forward to getting the boat in the water this summer.

John Foster
1983 Capri 25
Hull #380

Edited by - on

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2014 :  15:49:27  Show Profile
Welcome to the Club! I purchased my boat in 2006 and have loved every minute of sailing it since then. I did the same project you are doing now and I do not remember any glue/caulk etc under the inside trim, but seems there was sealing under the exterior wood around the screw holes. I don't think you can "waterproof" the companion way at all, so I would not worry too much about glue or caulk in reassembly. If you find yourself in a gale then expect the interior of the boat to get wet and spend your money on good bailing equipment rather than worrying the waterproofing details. In normal weather the hatch and trim sheds water good in my opinion. Good Luck and Have fun, it's a great boat for lake sailing at least, not sure I'd want to cruise blue water in it, but I've read somwhere that some brave souls have done transpacs in them. :)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2014 :  17:15:40  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
I'd invest in some good butyl tape, at the very least it'd stay pliable, it'll waterproof (to an extent) and it'll hold the trim in place while you drive the bolts back in.

This is still the best place to get the stuff, I'm still working on my rolls of tape.. actually I am almost finished my first roll.
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware&page=3

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

johngfoster
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
34 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2014 :  08:33:42  Show Profile
Thanks for the replies so far. What would you recommend about the screw holes? They were filled with a plug that I dug out when removing the wood. What kind of wood did they use? Teak?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2014 :  12:42:10  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
How about [url="http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1940"]these[/url]

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

usa 63
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2014 :  16:19:39  Show Profile
On my boat I'm replacing the wood trim with starboard. I'm tied of oiling the wood twice a year. The peice I'm using cost about what teak would and will outlast the boat.

Edited by - usa 63 on 05/13/2014 16:20:12
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2014 :  18:23:09  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Nick... take pictures please! I'd love to see it. I know they do the Capri 22s that way, and they look great (very modern).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

usa 63
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2014 :  19:20:20  Show Profile
Still a few months out but I will take some pictures . I have worked with it before and without much skill you can make it look pretty good. I think I can make everything out of 3/4" and a peice 24x54 should do everything at a cost of $230. My team has all but fallen apart and when I started pricing it out it was almost as much. My goal for the boat is to have as little wood as possible in it when I finish. Right now I think I'll only have one peice :). Not class legal but I'm tired of working on the boat and ready to work on my sailing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

johngfoster
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
34 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2014 :  00:12:56  Show Profile
So it is teak wood that is used? Some of it around the companionway is pretty light.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

makai
Deckhand

Members Avatar

9 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2014 :  10:26:12  Show Profile
I use cetol on the outside wood surfaces 3-4 coates amazing finish, on past boats it has lasted 3 years or more and even at that time you just give it a quick surface sanding and recoat....
I prefer the wood look and it's only a few pieces on the Capri doesn't take long at all....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2014 :  11:12:54  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Mine certainly looks teak! And again, that's 7 coats of Captains Spar varnish (not my first choice).. I'm waiting for it to crumble (its been 3 years so far, and only now starting to crackle), and I'll either sand it all off and oil, or rip it all off and go to starboard (OD racing is a non-event by me).

Oh wouldn't surprise me if much of the plywood below was white oak (ply) or something though.

Edited by - shnool on 05/14/2014 11:17:07
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page