Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 2 different size turnbuckles..
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/02/2014 :  06:55:00  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
My uppers are larger than my lowers... Well lemme rephrase that, the wire is larger, so I assume the turnbuckles are different sizes.

I want to change ALL my turnbuckles out to open style and DITCH the locking nuts... I am beyond frustrated with these closed style turnbuckles (this is my first year struggling with them, not sure why I had such a hard time this year as opposed to last year)...

I just verified my LOWER was a 5/16 LH turnbuckle. Are the uppers the next size up?

C&C 32 Smith Mountain Lake Virginia

Edited by - on

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2014 :  11:12:33  Show Profile
On mine the wires are different but the turnbuckles are the same size. I confirmed this with Catalina Direct also.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

usa 63
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2014 :  11:37:22  Show Profile
One thing to also think about is most closed body turn buckles don't have a hole through the stud that you can run a cotter ring or pin through to keep the rig from loosening its self on the leeward side of the boat. On some boats you can pin two turn buckles together but because of how far apart the turn buckles are on the capri I don't think that would work. The two options I was given by my rigger was to either put two nuts on the stud about an inch a part to hold the stud in a drill press while you make a hole in the stud, then unscrew the nuts fixing any bad threads, or replace the standing rigging which I did because I didn't know the age of the rigging.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2014 :  13:28:31  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Ok, what I saw then is confirmed which is the turnbuckles are the same, but the wire is not.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jmadd
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
84 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2014 :  10:45:49  Show Profile
My boat has the same gage shrouds on both the uppers and lowers. (the smaller size) I've always wondered if that was a characteristic of the early hulls or if somebody was hung over on a Monday when they made the cap shrouds. I was just thinking about it last weekend when I was watching them get battered around while I was way overpowered with a 155 up.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2014 :  11:46:25  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Oh, just purchased 1 open turnbuckle, and the velcro with the pins... I changed out from the closed turnbuckle... I wanted to make sure I like it!
BOY DO I LIKE IT! Why in God's earth did I not do this long ago?
This turnbuckle:

This velcro... remember to remove the locking nuts, you don't need them if you use the velcro (makes quick rigging changes way easier).

Catalina direct for both, boy that company has been great to work with
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/category/99/turnbuckles.cfm

Edited by - shnool on 05/12/2014 11:48:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page