Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Furler recommendations
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joearcht
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/15/2013 :  14:45:37  Show Profile
Probably opening a can of worms here, but my wife has mandated that I put a furler on my Capri. She wants to race with me but can't handle the foredeck dancing. What's a guy to do? I'm looking for recommendations on what has worked and not worked in this department.
Spare me the lectures about not being pure racing if you don't mind, this is a compromise situation to promote marital harmony, in other words it is either roller furling or downsizing the boat.
What works best?

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433

Edited by - on

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 05/15/2013 :  18:28:57  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
putitng on a tuff luff, and ignoriing the wife... or better teach her to steer... and YOU do foredeck...

Otherwise a CDI is cheap and usable. Might be able to use the equipment from a Cat 25... and put a racing tuff luff sail on it. Just remember a racing genoa isnt gonna furl real well. Getting a cut for a furler sail will really not be very efficient. But you can make it up downwind if you go with the spin, or better an asym.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2013 :  06:09:14  Show Profile
I've already got the tuff luff and racing genoa, Me doing the foredeck is certainly possible, but teaching the wife which way to push the tiller to turn the boat? well again remember the marital harmony condition!. (she can learn, not a dummy, just not motivated, but you know that is worth another try before I go down this road completely, thanks). CDI is on my short list, just trying to find something better. I figure I can have my current genoa re-cut, loosely furl it and put a external cover over it for storage.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2013 :  06:59:29  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by joearcht</i>
<br />...but teaching the wife which way to push the tiller to turn the boat?...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> I just told her to make the tiller point in the direction she wanted the <i>back-end</i> of the boat to go. That seemed to make sense. But we weren't in a race...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2013 :  07:11:26  Show Profile
Thanks Dave, that is a good suggestion. Like I said, she can learn that and how to adjust the sails also, just need to get her motivated to do it. Really would be the best solution, cause you never know when I might fall OVERBOARD. :) I usually race with crew that knows how to sail a boat, so I'm just going to make this a safety issue and push her to learn.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2013 :  08:41:40  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Well, not to steer you way away from the furler (because it really isn't all that bad in PHRF, or other handicap racing)... we all know the Capri 25 will trounce them all (unless waterline comes into play but that's another story)...

But consider a tiller-pilot. You set it to a direction... go forward, set sails... then go! or are you worried about CHUTE sets? Cause if you are gonna set a chute, and we are talking PHRF... throw caution to the wind, and get a furler with a nice 155... then get an asym with an ATN tacker. Easy peasy.

Oh yeah, I can easily spend YOUR money.

Edited by - shnool on 05/16/2013 08:43:59
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2013 :  09:01:19  Show Profile
Yep your spending lots of my money!
The tiller pilot is another good idea, I'll throw that at my wife and tell her. "See you learn how to basic sail the boat or I'm going to have to get a tiller pilot $$$$".

The Asym is on my list also and is really more important then the furling to me because that is a racing function and getting rid of the spin pole is a big objective here. I don't want to go forward during a take down before the mark and leave ANYBODY on the tiller unless they are more experienced then me!
I'm working on her, might get her out this weekend for a lesson :)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2013 :  15:25:27  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Hey Joe, let me know how it goes... My wife isn't into it at all.. so I am just jib and main... but I have a tiller pilot, and am thinking of how I can fly the spin solo. I have VERY little experience flying a spin, so learning solo it not a great way to get acquainted.

I don't want to HAVE to have crew to participate, so I learn ways to do things on my own. If I have help? STELLAR. If not, well that is OK too. If someone wants to go for the ride, that's OK too.

I've considered an asym, and even cosidered an asym on a sprit, with a snuffer (yep really outside the class now). I also considered a Gennaker... which might be really the way to go (at least for me).

The guys running a Catalina 27 in our club, use a furler, and a snuffer, with an ATN tacker, and a cruising spin. Double handed they seem to do quite well with it. What they do is furl the genoa first, then unsnuff the cruising spin (something about tangling lines, and catching the head of the spin in the furler if they don't).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2013 :  16:14:10  Show Profile
OK John, will do. I race PHRF only even though there are three other Capri's at my club, none of us seem to all get on the water at the same time or in the same series enough to consider one design. I'm researching spirits also, but have not heard of a Capri that has used one yet.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2013 :  19:26:55  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
If you want to go with cadillac, I think the schaefer snapfurl systems are pretty cool... CF500 I suppose, or even the CF700
http://www.furling.com/snapfurl.html

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2013 :  20:11:02  Show Profile
Or Harken Mark IV.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Fleet
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
151 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2013 :  05:48:36  Show Profile  Visit Fleet's Homepage
Guys,

Electronic tiller pilots violate Rule 52: A boat’s standing rigging, running rigging, spars and movable hull
appendages shall be adjusted and operated only by manual power.

We do participate in a 24 hour race that does allow autopilots otherwise they are not allowed.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2013 :  06:04:43  Show Profile
Thanks Fleet, I never really considered it, but don't tell my wife that! It was a good ploy, I've got her saying she'll learn a little more about sailing now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2013 :  06:23:39  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GaryB</i>
<br />Or Harken Mark IV.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">This Class 40 (Dragon) out of Mystic has a Harken. It seems to be working well for him...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2013 :  07:47:43  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Fleet... Interesting... I got permission from our club (and I am not alone in using) a tiller pilot. I think I'm going to dig deeper.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2013 :  16:39:00  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
I got a ruling saying that a Tiller pilot is approved. something about the vice commodore uses his..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2013 :  08:06:30  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
I have some more interesting information... the ISAF has a rule (52) about no powered devices (as stated before)... but apparently the IRC (international rules) have specifically removed that rule 52. The deal is apparently because of several factors... of which includes powered winches, electronically adjustable backstays, and keels, and most importantly because many people are racing short-handed and use tiller pilots. I wonder if the ISAF will consider that next-go around with the rules (2016). $400 isn't a horrible price to pay for a trailerable race boat to get a tiller pilot (and to be honest its only a poor approximation of a real skipper at the tiller).

More here: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=147274

I would feel better about using mine, if our sail club specifically announced it as part of their "allowables" in their notice of race. So much is informal though about our club, I'd rather not rock things too much, they really do their best just to make it fun.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2013 :  08:12:13  Show Profile
Thanks shnool, my Club is very focus on having fun also, and not so hard on the rules. Everyone sails short handed and our emphasis is on getting more people to race not making it harder for them to race. I may seriously consider that option if I can't push my wife into being an "auto" tiller. :)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

makai
Deckhand

Members Avatar

9 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2014 :  12:19:39  Show Profile
Not sure if your still looking but check this one out.....
no drum continuous line great design....
http://www.facnor.com/uk/products/headsail_furlers/continuous_line_range/default.asp

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2014 :  12:36:34  Show Profile
Yes, I've looked at those units and they are very nice, comes with a nice price tag also. I settled on a Selden Furlex 50S.
Have it installed now and just sailed last weekend with it for the first time. Had to buy a new sail to go with it, modification of the desk sweeper was not recommended. Functioned flawlessly and was a very welcome addition to the boat for my wife who is the principal genoa handler. Still analyzing the rig settings for what works best, but very pleased so far. We raced a S2 and J-80 last weekend, bringing home 1st place for the series.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2014 :  16:51:33  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Woah Joe, stout competition... Very BIG congrats on the placement!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page