Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Is this structural??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrapkins
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/25/2014 :  06:44:53  Show Profile
I need to drill a 3/4 inch hole in the piece shown in this photo https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A1B45A007CA19085!3828& authkey=!AHZjwao7U27vZ-w& v=3& ithint=photo%2c.JPG

It looks like it is there to hide wires from view, but I thought I'd ask first.

Edited by - on

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2014 :  07:05:43  Show Profile
You're right, it is a channel for wiring. Just be sure the wires are out of the way.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mrapkins
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2014 :  07:34:29  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave5041</i>
<br />You're right, it is a channel for wiring. Just be sure the wires are out of the way.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Are you saying there are wires INSIDE it? On my boat it is no more than a "curtain" with the wires secured to its rear so they cannot be seen.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2014 :  07:41:39  Show Profile
Mine is an 84. No wires inside of it, just the lighting wires behind it, and the strbrd side.

Post side had wiring for mast, and interior lights and nav. lights behind it, but not in it.

The mast wiring ran up into the gap between the liner and the deck but I was never sure exactly where it was.

I cut mine ( mast wiring ) and ran new wire, hanging it on the wood strip behind there.

The original lighting had the wiring running through that channel. ( drilling through that dip and running perpendicular to it )

It might be "structural" but you can drill through it..

I did when I added more lights.

Edited by - redeye on 04/25/2014 08:01:03
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2014 :  17:46:25  Show Profile
Ray - I like your overhead light right in front of the compression post. I need to replace my VHF cable run up to the mast, perhaps I can sister a cable to power a dome light as well.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2014 :  04:33:45  Show Profile
&lt;&lt; I like your overhead light &gt;&gt;

Thank you.. I find all of those "economy" LED lights from West Marine to still be relatively dim, but with the fixtures so close to you the bigger lights are annoying.

I put one of the Dr. LED Dome Cabin Lights from defender on the port aft bulkhead over the galley, and it rocks. Given it is further away from where I'm usually sitting it brings up the light levels without blinding. I think I'm gonna add another one strbrd on the inside hull to add as room and a reading light when I'm in the aft bunk.

They were something like $77 and that was a bit much, but at least now when I checked Defender has them at around $56.

No red in them though, just 2 levels of white. LeeKey may have some drips, but at least she is well lit.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page