Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Getting the sink to work
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

indecentseas
1st Mate

Member Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/23/2014 :  16:22:45  Show Profile
My galley sink does not work.

The tap has a manual hand pump. It appears this connects to the water tank on the starboard side. When I pump the handle I do not get any water to flow through.

My first question is how do I get at the faucet and the attached hose to evaluate the situation. There is a set of drawers below the sink. The drawers are set in a cabinet. When I pull the drawers out I can see that the hose from the water tank seems to go up behind the cabinet to the faucet. I want to get at the base of the faucet. Do I need to take the drawer cabinet out? This looks like a bit of a production. Alternatively, it looks like I could get in from the quarter berth. There is a panel that looks like if I remove it I will see in behind the drawer cabinet but it appears the panel is attached with bolts that I can't unscrew without holding the nuts on the other side.

How do I get in to a assess the problems with my faucet?

What am I likely to find when I get there?

Is there an easier way to diagnose and possibly fix my hand pump?

One other thing, I note some of you have removed your water tanks and bleached them. Is that right? I don't see how I could get my water tank out without disassembling it.

Thanks.

David Hopkins
Vancouver, British Columbia
'78 Swing Keel, Standard Rig, Dinette

Edited by - on

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2014 :  17:05:15  Show Profile
The faucet on my 1984 was still being made and there was a $25 rebuild kit for it.

The faucet is removed using a threaded ring that is below the faucet, around the hose that goes into it. You can remove it then rebuild it once it is loose. It only takes a couple of minutes.

The plunger that pulls water has probably rotted away and isn't building any suction. The rebuild kit will fix that.

My water tank was a bit annoying to remove, but slipped out once emptied and disconnected from the water lines.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

indecentseas
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2014 :  18:23:15  Show Profile
Thanks Akex. What I still don't understand is how I get access to the threaded ring below the faucet. Isn't that under the counter? I can't figure out how to get at that area.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2014 :  19:12:44  Show Profile
I don't know if there is an easier way, but cabinet is just screwed in. Remove the drawers and screws and the cabinet slides out.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sailboat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2014 :  21:27:10  Show Profile
I had to remove the sink in order to get enough purchase on the threaded ring. The fittings securing the sink to the cabinet were almost totally rusted away (1981 C-25) so it didn't take much effort to remove it and it made access to the threaded ring simple.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2014 :  00:25:57  Show Profile
I rebuilt my faucet, and like Dave B said, I removed the drawers, then removed the screws and slide the cabinet out. It wasn't that difficult.

Even so, it's not fun getting at the base of the faucet..... Make sure women and children are out of earshot..........

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2014 :  03:40:03  Show Profile
In my boat I had to rebuild the faucets and getting the retaining nut off was not a problem, however, a friends boat was another story. The nut on his was a real problem. I had to build a deep socket to get it off and it was a battle all the way.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2014 :  04:09:03  Show Profile
Our cabinet had no top to it.....pull the drawers and you can see the sink base. The cabinet is held in only with the face frame, removal is very simple.

One other thought, a PO had plumbed in an on-demand pump to pressurize the water. The faucet guts were then removed using a foot switch to run water. Follow the line from tank to faucet to make sure there are no other systems installed preventing water flow to the faucet.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

wingman
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2014 :  09:54:14  Show Profile
My hand pumps were not working either....I pulled the spout off from the top of the pump, poured some water down there to prime it and lubricate it and they both started working. Give it a shot. Time will tell whether mine needs a rebuild.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2014 :  21:02:37  Show Profile
my hand pumps stopped working a few years ago. I opened them up after fishing for the nut holding them on, and greased up the pistons with Vaseline. They both still work fine.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

indecentseas
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2014 :  15:17:10  Show Profile
Thanks all for the help.

Jim, that kind of worked for me. I just put my hose up to the tap and forced some water down. The pump then worked. Kind of. If I leave the pump handle in the forward position (after the cycle where water does not pump through) then the pump stays primed for at least a few hours. Otherwise it loses it's prime in a short time and I have to force more water down. Not a long term solution but a good start.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2014 :  06:47:21  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
David:

Here's a link to the rebuild kit - it should be all you need to get that pump working like new. I did both of mine, and they're pretty simple.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|51|2234245|2234253&id=161212

Defender, $23.99

You will need to remove it, however, because the guts are accessed from under the base.

Just a suggestion: if there hasn't been fresh, chlorinated water circulating through the tank and hoses you might want to flush the tank (I added a Beckson access plate in the top and got in there and brushed-out the slime) and replace the hoses (they get slime inside as well). Typical: ya' solve one "challenge" and that just raises another.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page