Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cable off Turning Ball
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/25/2014 :  05:59:59  Show Profile
So I'm pretty sure that when we had an extreme low tide after putting the boat back in for the season, the keel came up, loosened the cable and got it off of the track on the turning ball. The "roughness" when raising or lowering the keel seems to confirm this.
Any suggestions on how to get the two aligned again? I've tried loosening the cable and putting pressure toward the direction I think it needs to go but there is really no way to tell if it is back on. Also, I am assuming that by raising and lowering the keel in this state that I am causing damage?

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053

Edited by - on

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2014 :  07:12:23  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">the keel came up, loosened the cable and got it off of the track on the turning ball.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I'm not sure this is possible. I don't think there is enough room for the cable to get out of the track on the turning ball. I may be wrong.

I sail around all the time with my keel cable loose and have never had that happen. Not saying it can't, but I think my cable would have come out, if it were possible, sailing and leaving the cable loose like I do.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2014 :  07:15:50  Show Profile
The cable would chew up the fiberglass pretty quickly. I could be that the ball is just worn and hanging up. Mine is getting rough again, and its only a few years old. There really isn't much room for the cable to get off the track. Is the boat still in the water? You should be able to see it with the hose off.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2014 :  07:32:23  Show Profile
Its a brand new winch, cable, ball and hardware so that's not the issue. To be honest i wasn't sure if it could come of it or not but that's sounding unlikely. The main thing that has made me feel like that's possible is the sound but it just might be the cable rubbing on the drum. It spooled back on weird after it was loose and I think I might just need to rewind it so it is not on the edge of the drum rubbing.

Edit: Yes, the boat is back in the water, so taking that hose off is no longer a possibility.

Edited by - DavidBuoy on 04/25/2014 07:33:30
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2014 :  07:34:19  Show Profile
Mr. Hopper has a photo in his gallery of the turning ball in place. There isn't any room for the cable to get out of the track. Go to his gallery and click on the '82 swinger photos, about 15 pics in you'll find the photo of the turning ball.

I tried to link to it but could not get it to work....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2014 :  08:02:54  Show Profile
Well couldn't get it to link to the gallery, had to do it the old fashioned way:

You can thank Mr. Hopper

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2014 :  08:04:16  Show Profile
Just found the photo you're talking about and see what you're saying. It would be near impossible to come out of that slot without something crazy happening. I will work on getting the cable spooled correctly.

Thank you all for the help, once again!

Btw, was out in the Chesapeake sailing with 5 Navy 44s yesterday. Those things can point! Courteous sailors, were happy to let us join the pack!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2014 :  05:07:08  Show Profile
Try re-spooling the cable on the winch drum (wear heavy gloves!). Try to avoid cable crossover on the drum.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page