Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Think I've found the boat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JeanAndre
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
224 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2011 :  09:20:46  Show Profile  Visit JeanAndre's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br />Fresh water is more likely to develop blisters than salt...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hi Dave,

Why does this happen?

Have a great week

Cheers

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2011 :  10:19:18  Show Profile
Osmotic pressures are different between fresh and salt water.

?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2011 :  10:25:48  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JeanAndre</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br />Fresh water is more likely to develop blisters than salt...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Hi Dave,
Why does this happen?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I think I picked this up from a surveyor and have read it in a few places, and wondered why as well... The theory I've come up with, FWIW, is that when a little water permeates the gelcoat, it dissolves some of the salt compounds in the various resins, creating salty fluid. The greater the difference in salinity between the fluid under the gelcoat and the water outside of the gelcoat, the greater the "osmotic effect", which tries to equalize the salinity on both sides through more permeation to dilute the saltier fluid. This in turn creates the internal pressure that causes the blister to appear. (Similarly, osmosis can cause cells in salt water organisms to literally burst in fresh water.) Thus, fresh water (<i>very</i> low salinity) will cause more osmosis than salt water (closer to equal salinity), and thereby cause more and larger blisters.

So that's my theory--worth almost as much as you paid for it...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JeanAndre
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
224 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2011 :  08:03:42  Show Profile  Visit JeanAndre's Homepage
I do like theories!!
Thanks!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

aaron
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2011 :  11:26:24  Show Profile
I bought her! Thanks for your help. Made the transaction last Saturday. We took took her out and motored around a bit earlier this week. Grilled up some burgers on the (included) grill. Good times. Managed to get the sails up another day and played around a bit in a light breeze. Much fun. I'm out of town this weekend, but hoping to get out some more next weekend. I guess I'll need to register here!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2011 :  11:43:10  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pastmember</i>
<br />Osmotic pressures are different between fresh and salt water. ?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Osmosis is the pressure caused by differences in salinity, as two fluids try to balance each other. That pressure causes increases in permeation through the barrier between them--and (in this case) pushes up that barrier--the gelcoat--forming a blister.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2011 :  11:49:42  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by aaron</i>
<br />I bought her!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Welcome aboard!! You've just become part of a great sailing community--be sure to officially join up. This forum was a key factor in my choice of a C-25 years ago (way back when the forum was a part of Trailersailor.com).

I'll add a commercial for [url="http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=4&ParentCat=5"]Catalina Direct's C-25 Owner's Handbook[/url]--basically their catalog, but also a great source of information and ideas for repairs, upgrades and maintenance.

What is your sailing venue--Whiskeytown or Shasta?

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/01/2011 11:54:16
Go to Top of Page

aaron
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2011 :  11:58:18  Show Profile
Whiskeytown. It's a smaller lake than Shasta (by a lot), but has a very active sailing community. It's got great slips at half the price, and happens to be about 10 minutes from my house. Shasta is a better powerboat/houseboat lake. It also doesn't get ridiculously crowded during the summer. It's a lot more peaceful and the water is much clearer.

Likewise, this community was a big factor in deciding on a Catalina 25. With so few professional sailing resources in my area, the knowledge contained in this community is, well, priceless. I'll be officially signing up soon.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2011 :  13:34:03  Show Profile
You've made an excellent choice for a 25' sailboat . . .

Congrats and enjoy!

Edited by - OJ on 10/01/2011 14:10:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page