Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Salvage or not to salvage ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bouy
1st Mate

Member Avatar

33 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/28/2011 :  17:10:24  Show Profile
I have a 1980 Catalina SR SK. and live in eastern North carolina where Irene (hurricane) came to visit about a month ago. I thought I was safe and secure, because my boat has been in the yard up on stands. Actually quite high because I was doing work on the swing keel. However the boat next to mine was not so high on it's stands on washed off and tipped over resting it's forestay and mast on my backstay. Needless to say it has put a lot of pressure on my shrouds. So much that it has bowed my mast and pulled the eye pads upwards flexing and cracking the side deck, and causing distortion in the port window allowing water to enter the cabin. I have an insurance adjuster coming to look at the boat and he seems to think that the boat should be totaled. Do you think the cracks and side decks can be repaired , (also inside, the backing plates have been pulled up so tight that the underside is bowed) so that the boat will be sound, secure and safe ? Or is it time to move on?

81 sksr #1733

Edited by - on

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2011 :  19:03:46  Show Profile
Take the money and buy something newer that you will never have to worry about being "...sound, secure, and safe".

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2011 :  19:09:54  Show Profile
Agreed... This could be some major structural repair--cutting out and replacing deck core, and then replacing the fiberglass above and below it. Here's another recent thread on [url="http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23950"]Cate's similar dilemma[/url].

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/28/2011 19:10:26
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2011 :  19:10:35  Show Profile
Tough decision to make. I hit an ICW marker late at night last year while in Florida. My insurance company said the same thing ($4100 in damage) I decided to get it fixed at a marina in Fort Myers Beach. It took about six weeks while waiting for parts (furler foil, bow pulpit. etc.). The nice part was they let me work on other things on my boat while they were waiting for parts (and extend my FL vacation). Now back in MI and happy with my choice but that's just me (I really like my C25).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2011 :  19:58:59  Show Profile
Lots of variables... The "agreed value" or book value (whichever your policy covers), the value to you of things you've done to her, the estimated cost of repairs, the price you could get if you decided to sell her in the next few years, the boat you might get if you decided to start over, etc...

The repairs to the deck and headliner on a 30-year-old boat are likely to be visible, and could make a later sale more problematic.

No end of issues... Let us know what the adjuster says.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2011 :  17:05:20  Show Profile
Bill,

Just read your above description again - that's a lot of damage. I wonder if it can ever be repaired correctly. Sounds totalled to me. There are a lot of bargains on C25s out there . . .

Yep, the only damage any of my past boats have suffered was the result of other, inattentive boat owners

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NCBrew
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
338 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2011 :  05:17:39  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bouy</i>
<br />I have a 1980 Catalina SR SK. and live in eastern North carolina where Irene (hurricane) came to visit about a month ago. I thought I was safe and secure, because my boat has been in the yard up on stands. Actually quite high because I was doing work on the swing keel. However the boat next to mine was not so high on it's stands on washed off and tipped over resting it's forestay and mast on my backstay. Needless to say it has put a lot of pressure on my shrouds. So much that it has bowed my mast and pulled the eye pads upwards flexing and cracking the side deck, and causing distortion in the port window allowing water to enter the cabin. I have an insurance adjuster coming to look at the boat and he seems to think that the boat should be totaled. Do you think the cracks and side decks can be repaired , (also inside, the backing plates have been pulled up so tight that the underside is bowed) so that the boat will be sound, secure and safe ? Or is it time to move on?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Take the money and buy my "Black Pearl".
It is located in NC on the Albemarle. I will sell it for exactly what I have in it. You can call me 252-312-4995 or Email me dadinnc@gmail.com

Just pulled out and swing cable replaced, bottom painted, all lines lead to the cockpit.
new gasket in anchor locker and forward hatch. No leaks in entire boat

Has 9.8 Nissan long shaft 2009 model. Runs great.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2011 :  15:42:52  Show Profile
I'm looking for solid teak companionway boards, in case your boat goes to salvage.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2011 :  17:15:43  Show Profile
The buzzards are circling!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page