Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Hatch gasket repair
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Member Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/25/2011 :  11:57:09  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
This weekend I was replacing the old forward hatch and the pop-top gasket.
I've ordered this white EVA foam gasket from CD http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display& product_ID=1307 but I have to say its completly useless. Its too much high density so the forward hatch is unable to close. And even if closed, it does not seal as it should. What a waste of money

So I ordered localy and relatively cheap the EPDM rubber D profile used for industry sealing.
- 21x17 mm with self adhesive side.

Then I just semi-cut the profile to make the corners so It's all in one piece. It nicely adapts and the hatch is easy to close.

Here is the picture of the forward hatch

This hatch with the pop-top is water tight again.

PS: The longest part was to get out all that old junk. Uff.

Dalpol Phobos 21, 2013, Sole Mio, hull #27, current adventures - We sail Phobos 21

PO of Catalina C25, 1978, High Anxiety, hull #701, SR, FK, L-dinette, inboard diesel Volvo Penta MD2010C w/saildrive - more info

Edited by - Tomas Kruska on 09/25/2011 11:58:50

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2011 :  12:01:58  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Nice clean install!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2011 :  17:49:51  Show Profile
I'm glad you posted. I was thinking of replacing my gaskets too. I'll go for a softer, locally acquired material for my forward hatch, or maybe for both.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2011 :  03:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Dave, I suppose you have the model with molded groove for gasket?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2011 :  06:38:23  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Very nice job Thomas ..... as usual!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NCBrew
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
338 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2011 :  13:01:27  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tomas Kruska</i>
<br />This weekend I was replacing the old forward hatch and the pop-top gasket.
I've ordered this white EVA foam gasket from CD http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display& product_ID=1307 but I have to say its completly useless. Its too much high density so the forward hatch is unable to close. And even if closed, it does not seal as it should. What a waste of money

So I ordered localy and relatively cheap the EPDM rubber D profile used for industry sealing.
- 21x17 mm with self adhesive side.

Then I just semi-cut the profile to make the corners so It's all in one piece. It nicely adapts and the hatch is easy to close.

Here is the picture of the forward hatch

This hatch with the pop-top is water tight again.

PS: The longest part was to get out all that old junk. Uff.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I wish I had seen your post before I spent $38.00 at CD. I put it in but can hardly close the hatch. We will see it it is leakproof

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2011 :  14:01:59  Show Profile
Yes I do Tomas, but I don't think it will be a problem.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2011 :  04:11:51  Show Profile
&lt;&lt; white EVA foam gasket from CD &gt;&gt;

I thought the gasket material was designed for the poptop. Fits in the poptop gasket gutter and dense enough to conform to the weight.

Not designed for the hatch gasket, as you found, it is too thick for that application.

Edited by - redeye on 09/27/2011 04:12:25
Go to Top of Page

froell56
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2011 :  15:27:33  Show Profile
So, where did you get the D profile gasket material? Home supply store? Hardware store?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 09/29/2011 :  00:53:05  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by froell56</i>
<br />So, where did you get the D profile gasket material? Home supply store? Hardware store?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Just googled and found local manufacturer of window's gaskets. I bet you will find the same in US.
Mine is from this kind of rubber http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPDM_rubber.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page