Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Triple high cheek block instead of deck organizer?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikesuej
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
119 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/03/2011 :  13:04:55  Show Profile  Visit mikesuej's Homepage
Well, the deck organizers I ordered from Catalina Direct will not fit my Catalina 250 1997 WK without drilling new holes and filling old ones. However, the double cheek block that works to turn two lines now could easily be made into a triple cheek block that would allow me to run the three lines back that I need to, WITHOUT drilling new holes. The profile would be about 5/8" thicker than the double cheek block. I don't like it, but I think it will work fine and will not require anything but a little longer bolt. Does anyone see any problems with going from the current double tall cheek block to a triple other than being a bit taller to kick on your way up to the anchor?

Thanks, MJ

Michael T. Janocik
Seatitude

Edited by - on

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 04/03/2011 :  13:32:39  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
MJ,
Filling the old holes and drilling new ones is less work than you might think. I have a double high turning block on my port side, and I don't like it. But, I only have two lines that run back there, so it hasn't irritated me enough to make me replace it. What I worry about is having a trip hazard on the cabin roof. I tend to go up and down the starboard side for some reason, so I'm usually stepping over my single height triple block, which isn't high enough to catch a toe effectively, especially if you're shuffling, which is what I try to do.

If you decide to go the triple high route, I might be interested in purchasing one of your new triples you're not going to use. However, I recommend biting the bullet and filling the old holes, overdrilling the new ones, back filling with epoxy, and then drilling through the epoxy to mount the new ones.

If you decide to go this route, I recommend picking up Don Casey's [url="http://www.amazon.com/Sailboat-Hull-Deck-Repair-Library/dp/0070133697/ref=pd_sim_b_1"]"Sailboat hull & deck repair"[/url]. It's a good book to have in any case. And there are any number of folks on here who will chime in to help and offer their opinions.

Let us know what you decide to do, and take pictures!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 04/03/2011 :  16:44:16  Show Profile
MJ, only problem I can see is the problem of tripping over it. It shouldn't be a problem filling the holes, though.

I'm going to add a triple rope clutch starboard and trying to decide to go with a single level triple organizer or the stack, I'm leaning toward the single level to minimize tripping over it.

David, what brand is your single level triple and where did you get it?

Frog has some good pics on the other topic started by MJ, that's what I hope to do.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 04/03/2011 :  17:39:13  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Steve,
I think mine is made by Garhauer, I didn't install it originally, but I had to remount it because the PO put it too close to the starboard rail, you couldn't move anything past it in either direction. Plus, they didn't overdrill & epoxy, they just drilled holes and went for it. So, inevitably, they leaked as well. That's all been fixed, I removed it (actually them, because the double stack on the port side was in the same condition), overdrilled the original holes (on the starboard side, way over drilled them because I had to move all the holes about 1/4"), backfilled with epoxy & then drilled the mounting holes. Inside the cabin I left the holes a little dimpled in so I could fill with Marine Tex (white), just so it looked better.

I don't think Garhauer makes my exact model any more. For all I know it was installed back in '97 when the boat was brand new. I searched their site a while back to see if I could find another matching one for the port side, but wasn't able to.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mikesuej
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
119 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2011 :  01:00:47  Show Profile  Visit mikesuej's Homepage
I've filled and drilled before and since the current double-stack is in the diamond pattern, I think that's a recipe for trouble to fill and get a good finish. My thinking is that on both sides of the deck there are cabin top winches, jib sheet blocks, rope clutches, and a lot of line running back to cockpit. In this case, I don't see how adding another 5/8" thickness for a triple stack is going to increase my odds of tripping, especially since adding it and bringing all lines to cockpit I won't be on deck nearly as often. My only concern is that by adding an additional cheek block on top, you increase the moment arm and therefore I may need to add larger fender washers to back it all inside the cabin top.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page