Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 WK damage
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

booyacht
1st Mate

Member Avatar

53 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/16/2011 :  20:58:52  Show Profile
The PO of my new to me boat took a 2" gash of lead out of the bottom of the keel, aft edge, when backing it off the trailer. I'll see if I can post a pic of it later. Basically, how should I go about fixing?

I've thought of bondo and melting lead/repainting but not sure if any of you have had a similar issue.

Thanks a ton!

Will Osborn
2000 C250 WK #478

Edited by - on

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2011 :  07:13:53  Show Profile
If it is not too big I would use Marine-Tex. It is an epoxy that is easy to use and works very well. I have used it for many repairs.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

booyacht
1st Mate

Members Avatar

53 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2011 :  09:03:34  Show Profile
adding pictures now

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2011 :  09:44:28  Show Profile
For a gash that small you definitely do not want to hassle with hazardous molten lead. Just fair it with a cosmetic patch like Randy suggested.

Randy - Marine-tex seems to be the most popular fairing compound out there. I have a couple of small things I need to do above the waterline. How does Marine-tex fare with UV exposure? Typically epoxy needs to be painted over, and that would make it difficult to match with unpainted gel coat. Does Marine-tex have pigment or other UV inhibitors built-in, or does it need to be painted?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2011 :  10:47:16  Show Profile
Rick, you'll want to cover it with something--it's basically heavily thickened, putty-like epoxy, slightly gray. I've used one-part gelcoat patch in a little tube (from WM). I applied a couple of coats so it was above the level of the surrounding gelcoat, and then sanded it down. I don't think Bruce Ross (C.O.) could find it--I might not be able to, either. You have the advantage of a bright white hull--it should be easy. But leave the Marine Tex a little "low" so you can sand the gelcoat to the level of the surrounding surface. For small enough dings and gouges, the gelcoat alone might do the job.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/17/2011 10:51:44
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2011 :  11:09:32  Show Profile
I have not had issues with MarineTex yellowing. Personally I would not bother with gelcoat on the keel. The Marine Tex will be sufficient. Use the white version, not the gray.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

booyacht
1st Mate

Members Avatar

53 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2011 :  14:12:45  Show Profile
Thanks guys! You've made me feel much better about the situation.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2011 :  18:03:55  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Nautiduck</i>
<br />...Personally I would not bother with gelcoat on the keel. The Marine Tex will be sufficient...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I agree. But regarding Rick's boo-boos, gelcoat will make a nicer visible surface.

Will: Looking at your pix again, I'd use a nail or a drill and make some shallow holes in the lead before packing in the Marine Tex. That'll help it hold in place.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

moserd
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 03/18/2011 :  10:49:52  Show Profile
I have also had damage to my keel from the trailer, look up the topic 'WK Trailer Issues, (help)' sourced by me (moserd); maybe it will help. My damage was repaired with epoxy and fiberglass cloth.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

booyacht
1st Mate

Members Avatar

53 Posts

Response Posted - 04/03/2011 :  17:45:27  Show Profile
Well the marine Tex worked great! Not the most beautiful job for my first time but it works :)
Thanks again!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 04/03/2011 :  20:47:26  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Pictures?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

booyacht
1st Mate

Members Avatar

53 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2011 :  13:51:34  Show Profile
I was so busy with dropping and raising the mast yesterday that I forgot to take pictures :/
I learned some valuable lessons though; put the anchor light and windex in when the mast is down the first time...and tie a messenger line to the furler halyard tail.

I'll take a picture this weekend before I put her in the water!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page