Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Spring Set-up
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pa-sailor
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
67 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/27/2011 :  18:42:36  Show Profile
I will be starting my 3rd season (April) with my 2004 250WK (#731) on the lake, however this year I am on my own as far as stepping the mast and rigging. In the past I always had a master rigger and I was just the helper. Question here is--Is the Catalina manual, the best source for help or is there another manual one may recommend. I want to avoid raising and re-raising the mast because I forgot something.

Edited by - on

bear
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
909 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2011 :  21:32:58  Show Profile
How you step your mast may be the worst part of the whole deal,also it's nice to use the baby stays to keep the past going up verticle and not tipping to one side or the other {safety issue]. Catalina manual is fine but others will chime in with better procedures that have endured the test of practce and time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2011 :  22:12:55  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Bob,
Do you have a trailer that came with the boat that has all the mast raising equipment built in? This may sound like a silly question, but my understanding is that some of our boats didn't come with a trailer.

If so, I can provide you with our checklist for launching. It's a couple of pages long and won't exactly fit your boat, but you'll get the general idea.

Bear's suggestion about using the baby stays is right on the money, they keep the mast reasonably well centered while it's going up. I say reasonably well, because inevitably you're going to be on a bit of a slope, or there's a stiff breeze blowing, and one of the stays will be taut, while the other is slack, and the mast will be leaning slight off center.

Raising the mast by yourself can be daunting the first time, but it's not overly difficult if you think through the process, double check your procedure and take slow deliberate steps. The most irritating thing is when you finally get your mast up, forestay attached, tightened properly and <i>then </i>remember the windbird or the topping lift. We did that twice before putting together our checklist.

Reading your profile, I see that you're almost in your 70's, it might be prudent to ask a couple of your dockmates to assist you, especially since it's your first time doing it yourself. I'm in my 50's and I'll raise my mast by myself if I have to, but I've done it dozens of times (with Rita, by myself, twice with this boat I think, dozens and dozens of times with earlier boats by myself). Given the choice, I'd much rather have her help me than not. It's just safer, and you have two people watching and going through the checklist.

Let me know if you'd like the checklist.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2011 :  07:28:32  Show Profile
David,
Could you send me a copy of your checklist? I'd like to use it as a template to modify for my boat. Thanks.

j.j.russell at oh dot rr dot com

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2011 :  09:26:35  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Here's the checklist:
(John, your email bounced, I suspect you mean "j.j.russell at odot rr dot com" ?)

Edit: Reading through this I notice some obvious things left out like attaching the launching bridle to the main halyard & tightening it up. Please use this as a starting point, not an end-all-be-all. Edit to edit: I guess it really is there, I just didn't see it. My point is, this is only a starting point for your checklist, so use at your own discretion.

Checklist for launching Sirius Lepak

Ready to leave the house

• Load all coolers, bags, food, clothes, sleeping bags, pots and pans, etc. on the boat at the house.
• Premixed gasoline in the fuel can onboard.
• Tool bag on board.
• Charts on board.
• First aid kit on board.
• Water in the water tank.
• Water in the porti-potti.
• Propane cylinders for stove & heater in external storage. Teflon tape for joints.
• Sunscreen, hats, etc.
• Mast stepping bolt
• Mainsail hank blocking bolt.
• Mast stepping webbing
• Baby stays.
• Life vests for humans and dogs.
• GPS
• Load Avon making sure you’ve got:
o Paddles
o Engine, fill with fuel if necessary
o Drain plug
o Foot pump
o Patch kit (in blue tool bag).
o Fiberglass seat

Above the ramp

• Get everything on the boat that’s going on the trip, no loading stuff at the pier.
• Remove all bungees, tie downs, etc. from mast, spreaders, stays, etc.
• Raise aft mast crutch to highest level.
• Attach after stay to bridle, make sure to put cover on turnbuckle.
• Tie topping lift to top of mast.
• Attach Windex
• Slide mast back to step and insert bolt & tighten thumbscrew to secure.
• Raise forward mast crutch to highest level.
• Unspool belt from winch as far as it will go leaving at least one full wrap on the spool, attach to mast stepping webbing with line so the loop in the bowline clears steaming light, and webbing is loose on the mast just under the inner stay attachment points below the spreaders. NOTE: Make dedicated lifting line for this. Attach main halyard to webbing and secure to mast at starboard cleat on mast. Make sure it’s fastened securely.
• Make sure that all turnbuckles on fore, aft & side stays are well started in their barrels. ¾ inch is a good start. There is probably little need to adjust the shrouds, only the fore & back stays.
• Attach baby stays.
• Insure that rear stay is forward of spreaders.
• Insure that halyards are on the correct sides of the spreaders.
• Make sure that stays will run free.
• Make sure that stern bridle isn’t fouled on the u-bolts at the transom.
• Raise the mast using the webbing winch.
• Attach forestay to tang at bow.
• Slack off main halyard and drop webbing to the deck & stow.
• Remove baby stays & stow.
• Remove connecting line & stow.
• Wind up belt onto winch and reattach to bow.
• Remove after mast crutch & stow in truck.
• Attach rudder & tiller.
• Attach fuel lines to outboard if necessary.
• Attach dock lines on both sides.
• Attach fenders to both sides.
• Attach main sail and 110 jib
• Remove instrument covers.
• Load hound into boat? Maybe easier at pier if it exists.

At the ramp, launching

• Back trailer down ramp, stopping about 6’ from water’s edge.
• Set chocks under trailer’s wheels.
• Raise trailer high enough to lower launching wheel and lock in place.
• Remove tow ball from trailer, removing electrical connections.
• Remove taillights from trailer and stow in green box.
• Attach towing strap, pull truck forward to take up tension on strap.
• Remove chocks from trailer
• Remove safety chain
• Back into water until forward support pads are submerged. If forward pads cannot be submerged, don’t attempt the launch.
• Remove winch strap and launch boat. Need to find a good way to do this w/o getting wet.
• Guide boat to dock and tie up.
• Pull trailer back out of water & re-chock.
• Back down on trailer, remove launching strap and reattach trailer.
• Park truck & trailer.
• Pay launch & parking fee.
• Go sailing

At the ramp, recovering

• Douse all sails & stow below if possible, the jib at a minimum.
• Fenders over both sides.
• Dock lines readied.
• Reverse procedure for launching, back trailer down on strap till forward pads are submerged. If trailer won’t go far enough down, consider towing trailer out with outboard.
• Maneuver boat onto trailer, snub up winch strap as tight as possible. Bow should be in the rubber snubbers at the bow post. Need to figure out how to do this w/o getting your feet wet.

Edited by - delliottg on 03/28/2011 09:46:50
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2011 :  09:46:27  Show Profile
Thanks, David. Don't know about the e-mail problem. It's oh.rr (as in Ohio Roadrunner). Macht Nicht. Thanks for posting it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pa-sailor
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
67 Posts

Response Posted - 04/01/2011 :  18:42:15  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by delliottg</i>
<br />Bob,
Do you have a trailer that came with the boat that has all the mast raising equipment built in? This may sound like a silly question, but my understanding is that some of our boats didn't come with a trailer.

If so, I can provide you with our checklist for launching. It's a couple of pages long and won't exactly fit your boat, but you'll get the general idea.

Bear's suggestion about using the baby stays is right on the money, they keep the mast reasonably well centered while it's going up. I say reasonably well, because inevitably you're going to be on a bit of a slope, or there's a stiff breeze blowing, and one of the stays will be taut, while the other is slack, and the mast will be leaning slight off center.

Raising the mast by yourself can be daunting the first time, but it's not overly difficult if you think through the process, double check your procedure and take slow deliberate steps. The most irritating thing is when you finally get your mast up, forestay attached, tightened properly and <i>then </i>remember the windbird or the topping lift. We did that twice before putting together our checklist.

Reading your profile, I see that you're almost in your 70's, it might be prudent to ask a couple of your dockmates to assist you, especially since it's your first time doing it yourself. I'm in my 50's and I'll raise my mast by myself if I have to, but I've done it dozens of times (with Rita, by myself, twice with this boat I think, dozens and dozens of times with earlier boats by myself). Given the choice, I'd much rather have her help me than not. It's just safer, and you have two people watching and going through the checklist.

Let me know if you'd like the checklist.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pa-sailor
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
67 Posts

Response Posted - 04/01/2011 :  18:51:53  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pa-sailor</i>
<br />I will be starting my 3rd season (April) with my 2004 250WK (#731) on the lake, however this year I am on my own as far as stepping the mast and rigging. In the past I always had a master rigger and I was just the helper. Question here is--Is the Catalina manual, the best source for help or is there another manual one may recommend. I want to avoid raising and re-raising the mast because I forgot something.
To add--I will set the mast from my venture trailer, which has a home built 7' mast raise perch. I was hoping with the help of 2 mates that I may set the mast using a block/tackle anchoring on my truck tow hitch. if I knew how to post a drawing I would, I hope this helps. Thank for all the posts

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 04/02/2011 :  15:10:43  Show Profile
Slow and steady wins the race. Make periodic checks as it raises to be sure the shrouds aren't tangled or caught on anything. If it feels stuck, it probably is so don't force it. Find out what's restricting it. Use mechanical advantage to hold the weight, not your mates.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 04/02/2011 :  19:18:17  Show Profile
It is worth repeating what John wrote:

<font size="4">If it feels stuck, it probably is so don't force it.</font id="size4">

I have ignored this advice twice and both times ended up bending the toggle bolt at the bottom of the shroud.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2270 Posts

Response Posted - 04/02/2011 :  19:58:29  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Nautiduck</i>
<br />It is worth repeating what John wrote:

<font size="4">If it feels stuck, it probably is so don't force it.</font id="size4">

I have ignored this advice twice and both times ended up bending the toggle bolt at the bottom of the shroud.

One of my turnbuckles (port lower IIRC) is very difficult to turn - much harder than the others. I ordered a new toggle bolt from CD on the assumption that it is caused by a slightly bent one. I was going to put it on before raising the mast. Given the risk of bending the new one, should I wait until the mast is up?

Also, what is the best way of avoiding this from happening? I was thinking of getting some velcro straps to gently hold up the shrouds by wrapping around the lifeline. Is this a good practice? Do you have a better one?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

skybird
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
135 Posts

Response Posted - 04/02/2011 :  21:15:56  Show Profile  Visit skybird's Homepage
I use the toggle bungees around lifelines to hold them up til they begin to get some tension on them-- with no hooks on them, they don't catch everything else in sight

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 04/02/2011 :  21:46:44  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Excellent point John, I've had stuff hang up before as well, and tried to muscle through it, leading to bent bits. It's really helpful to have a second set of eyes watching as the mast goes up. Our most recalcitrant bit is the port U-bolt where the shroud attaches right by the boarding ladder (probably the same one Randy's talking about). Inevitably it ends up upside down, and there is no way you can free it once the rig is up (trust me, I've tried). The only solution is to slack off the mast until there's enough slack to slide it around to the "right" side of the U-bolt. What I've started to do is make sure it's in the right place, then drape the rear shrouds over the catbird seats so as they pull free, the U-bolt is already under a bit of tension, so it can't drop around to the dark side. Bungees would do the same thing with less hassle, I'll try that next time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

booyacht
1st Mate

Members Avatar

53 Posts

Response Posted - 04/03/2011 :  17:40:58  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Nautiduck</i>
<br />It is worth repeating what John wrote:

I raised my mast today and bent the toggle bolt = I can't wait to be a pro at this someday. Good news is I got the new LED mast light installed and wind chicken back up.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jml
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2011 :  18:36:41  Show Profile
Never thought I needed a checklist before this weekend. On my way from the launch ramp to our slip I looked up to notice I forgot the windex. I'm in the process of making my own checklist now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2011 :  19:19:17  Show Profile
I have actually bent two of the shroud toggles. I now use a short length of velcro to stand them up and I check them throughout the mast raising. I also keep a spare toggle in my tool kit on the boat.

Doctor, I'd put the new toggle on before you raise the mast and just be attentive to it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 04/05/2011 :  07:02:23  Show Profile
From a tip I learned on the forum, I now use thin rubber bands to tie off the shrouds to the lifelines to keep the turnbuckles straight. As the mast is raised the rubber bands break.

Edited by - dlucier on 04/05/2011 07:02:51
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/05/2011 :  07:12:37  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dlucier</i>
<br />From a tip I learned on the forum, I now use thin rubber bands to tie off the shrouds to the lifelines to keep the turnbuckles straight. As the mast is raised the rubber bands break.

That works, just don't jump too high when they pop and the shrouds jump

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page