Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 leaky windows
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Adam
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
44 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/31/2011 :  12:27:40  Show Profile
What can I do to stop my leaky windows other than replacing them completely?

Edited by - on

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2011 :  13:23:24  Show Profile
What year C25?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Happy D
Admiral

Members Avatar

921 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2011 :  15:40:06  Show Profile
There is a lot of information on this forum about leaking windows. Rebuilding them seems to return marginal results. Some people rebuild them and they still leak. I am just replacing mine with plexiglass. There are several adhesives that can be used to seal the acrylic to fiberglass. Silicone should be avoided.
The problem with silicone is that it will eventually loose it's seal and then nothing ...absolutely nothing will ever stick to it again. Sikaflex makes an adhesive made just for this purpose.
Sikaflex 295 or something like that.

Edited by - Happy D on 01/31/2011 15:40:45
Go to Top of Page

Adam
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
44 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2011 :  16:55:11  Show Profile
its at 84 c25

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2011 :  19:34:01  Show Profile
We redid the windows...now we tarp over the cabin when tied up...

Edited by - jerlim on 02/01/2011 05:37:20
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2011 :  20:14:12  Show Profile
I keep a cover on our boat also, cuts down on the water intrusion, and keeps the deck cleaner.

I could also put this cover over the boom and secure the sides to the lifelines, say while at anchor.
This was a Malibu powerboat cover I bought ebay and had modified for the C25.

Edited by - dmpilc on 01/31/2011 20:27:25
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2011 :  20:14:28  Show Profile
I always tarp regardless, any boat will leak in the right storm. I will install new windows in my boat this spring and will continue to tarp. Saves wood, keeps out insects, keeps bird crap off your cabin top, and keeps the fiberglass from oxidizing too. I use nice boom tents as tarps.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Justincase
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
49 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2011 :  20:15:28  Show Profile
HappyD do you have any pics, as I am seriously considering this mod myself. Are you planning to use just the adhesive to hold them on, or through bolting? How are you planning to finish the inside? I
JC

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2011 :  21:23:56  Show Profile
I had the kit from CD for my windows (1982) but the seal that they send with it will not work with the original glass. I took my pieces to a local glass shop and they order the proper seal. Haven't had a leak since (a year and a half ago).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2011 :  08:32:11  Show Profile
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20892

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Happy D
Admiral

Members Avatar

921 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2011 :  16:33:22  Show Profile
justincase,
you can see how I redid the interior here;

I haven't figured out how I'm going to attach the plexiglass, but I'm thinking through bolting with barrel nuts on the inside.

http://members.csinet.net/dhapp/portlights/portlights.html

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jonfew346
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2011 :  06:17:28  Show Profile
You have done a great job with that recoring. It is really clean. I have heard people say that plexiglass will not work on the older boats because the surface around the opening has a slight curve. Have you laid a straight edge over you window openings to check for any type of slope? Because of the lack of success, I think this is the scariest project for most C25 guys to do. I have heard that the kit from CD works and others say to toss the gaskets and just use different types of caulk.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2011 :  06:31:08  Show Profile
Question for Happy D.
What is the brand and model # of the opening ports you used to replace the old ones in the head area?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

mrapkins
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2011 :  07:46:46  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Adam</i>
<br />What can I do to stop my leaky windows other than replacing them completely?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

You cannot. The window design is very poor. You can re-bed them and they won't leak for a year or two, but inevitably, they will leak again.

Here's a complete description of what I did to replace them.

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21699

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2011 :  08:37:04  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Happy D</i>
<br />justincase,
you can see how I redid the interior here;

I haven't figured out how I'm going to attach the plexiglass, but I'm thinking through bolting with barrel nuts on the inside.

http://members.csinet.net/dhapp/portlights/portlights.html

The portlights on my C&C 35 were originally installed without screws. They were "glued" into the openings with a strongly adhesive type of caulk that is made specifically for that purpose. I plan to replace the portlights this year, and will not screw them in place. When you drill holes through plexiglass or similar materials, you create a very high risk that a crack will form at the hole and run. Plexi and other materials expand and contract, and, if you screw them too firmly in place, or don't allow them enough space to expand and contract, they'll break. I don't know the name and brand of the caulk that is used for the purpose, but I have seen it in a chandlery and know it's out there. (I found it at Zahneiser's ship's store, in Solomons Island, MD.)

If your portlights are curved, the adhesive caulk will hold them in just fine after it's cured, but you have to figure out a way to hold them firmly in place until it cures. A simple wood device will do the trick.

Edited by - Steve Milby on 02/05/2011 08:40:22
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2011 :  13:02:57  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmpilc</i>
...This was a Malibu powerboat cover I bought ebay and had modified for the C25.

David - Do you remember the make and model # of your cover?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Happy D
Admiral

Members Avatar

921 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2011 :  06:19:43  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The portlights on my C&C 35 were originally installed without screws. They were "glued" into the openings with a strongly adhesive type of caulk that is made specifically for that purpose. I plan to replace the portlights this year, and will not screw them in place. When you drill holes through plexiglass or similar materials, you create a very high risk that a crack will form at the hole and run<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

You are absolutely correct Steve, but the C&C had a smaller window and a counter-bore in the cabin side for the plexi to sit in. With our C25's the plex is surface mounted, on the older models it is anyway. There will be more movement between the plexi and the fiberglass. Holes that are melted through or polished will reduce the stress risers but it still might crack. I believe the widows Cruising Concepts sells have screws holes in them but I'm not positive.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">[Question for Happy D.
What is the brand and model # of the opening ports you used to replace the old ones in the head area?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I bought Bomar 2000 series opening ports with screens. I bought the N2515 ports. They required the opening be cut a little larger. That gave me a full overlap of the flange on the outside and a nice tight fit. I didn't want no stinking leaks! I bought mine from Defender. [url="http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.nsf/731d6514ff5a8481852567be000745b2/0b247704d0ba2608852567c200617033?OpenDocument"]Bomar Opening Ports[/url]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have heard people say that plexiglass will not work on the older boats because the surface around the opening has a slight curve. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The curve is slight and the Plexi will bend just fine. I do however have some spare oven heating elements and I thought of bending the plexi to match the curve but I don't think it is warranted.

The coach sides where the opening ports site in the head area should be flat. If your coach sides are not flat and are delaminated from water, build a clamp and when you repair the core, clamp the wall so it is flat and 5/8" thick. The opening ports will fit so nice...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page