Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Charger Location?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lovelady007
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
9 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/02/2008 :  08:41:40  Show Profile  Visit lovelady007's Homepage
Hey all, a really basic question for you... I just purchased a 1980 Catalina 25 and while it's got two group 24 batteries and shore power, it doesn't have a permanently mounted battery charger, something I'd like to fix ;) However, after inspecting the various lockers available to stash one in, I'm having trouble finding a space with adequate clearances to dissipate the heat that is also relatively close to the battery bank so... general question to anyone that now or formerly owned a '25 "where did you mount yours?". Thanks in advance!

Mike

Mike Lovelady
s/v Lethe
1982 25 #3149 FK/TR
Portland, OR

Edited by - on

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2008 :  15:13:04  Show Profile
In terms of proximity, air circulation and space, why not put it in the "dumpster" section bolted underneath the forward-most port-side cockpit seat.

You might be able to mount a piece of 1" wood underneath this area epoxying it up into place, onto which to mount the charger. It has good access to the shore power plug and its behind the DC power distribution panel.

In any event, please make sure to observe the Hot wire + Cold wire + AC ground on the AC supply side, and fuse the DC charger side with the appropriate sized fuse. It might be useful to put an inline switch on the DC side.

To keep water from splashing the unit if the hatch is open, you could mount a piece of stiff plastic about 12" x 4" to the edge of the board.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2008 :  11:22:13  Show Profile
I mounted mine under the bottom step of the companionway and then drilled a hole alongside to run the wires into the space under the 1/4berth and thence into the battery compartment. The charger input wire goes through the bulkhead between the 1/4berth and the port locker to an installed plug on the side of the locker.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2008 :  15:48:45  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
I used the dumpster, it dissipated heat, accessed the battery switch which is a fine place to tap into the system and was easy to install.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2008 :  18:39:50  Show Profile
I mounted mine behind the companionway ladder on the vertical wall and ran the wires through the bilge under the quarterberth to the battery compartment. It is out of the way and I can see the status lights.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2008 :  22:19:17  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
A year or so ago, I installed a battery charger inside the cabin starboard side in front of the quarterberth. I also rewired most wiring to a new 8 circuit breaker switch panel located below the main cabin sink.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

lovelady007
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
9 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2008 :  10:58:46  Show Profile  Visit lovelady007's Homepage
Gentlemen,

Thanks for all your responses! As a first time poster / new owner I was wondering what kind of group this would be and it's definitely exceeded all my expectations :) Also, one thing I'd never considered was connecting the battery charger to the "selector switch" as opposed to directly to the batteries, which seems to be what some folks have done (and makes a heck of a lot of sense, at least if I'm reading this correctly??). Are there any advantages / disadvantages to this?

Best,
Mike

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2008 :  11:54:04  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I hard wired the AC side to the terminals behind the starboard side AC outlet which is located on the side of the seatback wall. The charger DC wires are wired directly to each of my 2 batteries. The charger has 2 DC wires for each of the batteries to charge them simultaneously but independently.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2008 :  12:27:28  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
There is no downside as long as the wires from the switch to the battery are the proper gauge... big.
switch before charger connected

you might want to look over some other photos here

http://gallery.mac.com/fhopper#100041

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page