Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 CDI Furler
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sweetlou
1st Mate

Member Avatar

53 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/03/2008 :  12:01:24  Show Profile
Hello All-

I am a new owner of a new-to-me Catalina 25. I have an issue related to the installed CDI FF4;

The issue is that there is seemingly no anchor/cleat available on top the spool assembly to affix the D-Shaped halyard shackle/anchor pin. (i.e. I have a D shaped shackle on the end of the internal halyard with pin but no anchor on the furling unit itself). Judging by the lack of an installed horn cleat I assume this model post dates those with a cleat, implying that there is a missing anchor.

Does anyone have the specs for the halyard/tack anchor shackles? Is something like this available from West Marine or do I need to contact CDI?

An alternative would be installing a 3" cleat on the spool assembly (there appears to be two holes partially drilled on the assembly neck to accomodate a cleat), any idea on the bolt spec for this installation?

In short the unit looks like the photo on page 9/Step 15 of the manual;
http://www.sailcdi.com/sailpdf/FF4&6%20manual%207_06.pdf
(no obvious means of staying fast the halyard).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

C25 '83 FK SR
Chicago, IL

Edited by - on

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2008 :  15:53:45  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
Paul at CDI can help, 607-749-4599

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2008 :  17:12:34  Show Profile
Sorry, I don't have any photos but I have the halyard and the tack pennant tied to the same D-ring on the drum. Works for me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetlou
1st Mate

Members Avatar

53 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2008 :  18:03:39  Show Profile
Thanks all.

Frank - I will try CDI in the morning.

John - The issue I am struggling with is that there doesn't seem to be a means to attach the d-shaped shackle to the drum.

Ed

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2008 :  21:10:03  Show Profile
I should think that there ought to be 2 holes on the top of the drum that the the pins of the D-shackles slide through, one for the luff tension line shackle and one for the halyard shackle.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2008 :  21:50:03  Show Profile
Actually, there are two holes at the top of the drum thata pin comes up thru. Then, you attach the shackle to those pins. I think that Ed has had those pins drop out. I'm little luckier, I've only lost one of them,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page