Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 lifelines
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pete454ss
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/04/2008 :  10:58:40  Show Profile  Visit pete454ss's Homepage
I have a cat25 sr/sk.. I would like to replace the lifelines. Should I let a local rigger make them or order them from Catalina direct(CD).

I was concerned about hand swagging the ends to the lifeline as recommended by CD in their kits. I would feel safer if they were rolled swagged by machine.

I tried using Defender.com but they made the whole process to complicated, they lost my emails, I had to re-measure and re-submit my info...after waiting a week for a response I canceled. Then I went to west marine and they recommended me to a local rigger.

Any ideas? What should I do.

Pete

Bay Shore,NY

Edited by - on

Renzo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
621 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2008 :  11:34:33  Show Profile
I replaced my life lines a few years ago with the kit from CD and I don't remember having to swage anything. The end of the line that goes to the bow has a screw fitting that fits thru the hole in the stancions and then connect to the turn buckle at the bow where you take up the slack and tension the line. So CD must have changed something since then. If you are not confident in your ability to swage a fitting propperly I suggest you have a local rigger do the job (it shouldn't cost much) but remember the life lines (despite their name) are not really there to hold you on board if you fall against them; they are simply to provide a reminder and a visual reference of where the deck ends.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2008 :  12:16:51  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
When I replaced my lifelines I used a local rigger but supplied my own coated wire rope. Catalina uses 1x19 for lifelines because they buy it for their standing rigging. It is stiff and makes poor lifelines. 7x19 wire rope is much more flexible and a much nicer lifeline material. I bought mine and very nice new style pelicans on ebay and my local rigger put it all together using my old lines as a pattern. Give this some thought and effort and your new lifelines will be much nicer than what you are replacing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pete454ss
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2008 :  15:19:45  Show Profile  Visit pete454ss's Homepage
Thanks... for the info.. I'm going to let the local rigger replicate my lifelines... I'll keep you posted

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Even Chance
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
393 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2008 :  18:16:44  Show Profile
A local rigger did mine for $ 275.00 -- but I supplied the pelican hooks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page