Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Looking for Info on lowering the Swing Keel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sodonnell
1st Mate

Member Avatar

76 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/06/2006 :  21:35:16  Show Profile
I seem to remember seeing a post (here I think) where someone used long threaded rods the same size as the keel bolts (replacing each bolt one at a time)to lower the keel for work.
Can anyone point me to info on this.
I've searched for an hour now and can't find anything.

Edited by - on

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2006 :  21:56:18  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sodonnell
1st Mate

Members Avatar

76 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2006 :  23:30:12  Show Profile
Am I imagining it or did I find it here?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sodonnell
1st Mate

Members Avatar

76 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2006 :  23:46:54  Show Profile
Just found it on your home page.
Thanks.
Any gotchas with this method. I see you put together a vertical support for the keel.
Did you need a jack to give lift to the keel when you reinstalled it?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 01/07/2006 :  10:52:09  Show Profile
How long does it take to raise/lower the keel using this technique?

With four loooong threads and being only able to make half turns with the wrench, I'm thinking this takes a fair amount of time. Does it?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ClamBeach
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3072 Posts

Response Posted - 01/07/2006 :  11:59:01  Show Profile
I have also done this in the past... using a slight variation on the technique shown.

I used jacks to lower the keel and also to raise it back up most of the way. I only used the threaded rod technique to bring the keel hinge into it's final position. (maybe the last 8") so my all-thread was a lot shorter.

I had first tried lifting the keel all the way with the jacks. Positioning with them got the keel very, very close, but it was just too difficult to get it into the rather exact alignment needed without the all-thread. My keel bolts are slightly mis-aligned and due to that the recesses in the casting don't offer a lot of wiggle room. Your boat may vary.

I was doing it 'solo' too, and having a competent helper might have made the difference.

Doing a hybrid lift was pretty quick. The preparation (cribbing, blocking, pads etc) by far takes the bulk of the time and is in fact the most important part of the job. The jack lift itself only took a few minutes, and the last part with the all-thread maybe 10 minutes.

Good cribbing (Frank's is beautiful) is critical for both safety and succeess. Be sure to block the aft end of the keel so it doesn't slide backwards. It's time consuming to get it positioned back forward to exactly the right spot. (don't ask how I know this).

The keel is heavy, nearly an ton heavy.

IMHO: If you aren't experienced or comfortable building cribbing, positioning jacks or otherwise workiing with somewhat dangerous stuff, get some competent help or hire it done.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

clayC
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
207 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2006 :  14:21:10  Show Profile
Is there a successful way to slide the keel back to work on the keel trunk?

Clay C

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ClamBeach
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3072 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2006 :  15:28:53  Show Profile
"Is there a successful way to slide the keel back to work on the keel trunk? "

I have pondered that myself and I think it could be done. (needs tape measure analysis tho to keep clear of support points for the hull).

To do it in place, I would make a one piece cradle to catch the keel... lay down some planks on the trailer frame for slides. Use some hi-moly strips to reduce friction and a come-along to move it fore and aft. Would for sure block the trailer in place so it couldn't tip.

At a certain point, it would probably be easier to span the trailer with timbers, lift the boat clear, lower the keel onto the trailer (in cribbing) and move the trailer.

Dunno. Will probably be doing a full keel overhaul in a few months.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2006 :  15:44:31  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
To reinstall my swing keel after refurbishing, I blocked the trailer up and removed the axles. That left nothing between the keel trunk and the concrete.

-- Leon Sisson

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page