Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Exterior Handrail Questions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auburn80
1st Mate

Member Avatar

60 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/05/2006 :  12:01:03  Show Profile
Greetings All! Hope everyone is getting back into the groove for the New Year.
My questions are about the best process for cleaning and refinishing my exterior hand rails. I have a 1983 Cal 25-2 and the railings are 7 loops long. My concern is about how fragile they might be once removed. If the thinking here is that they could be easily damaged; I'll clean them thoroughly before I remove them. Once removed, I'll carefully sand and put a finish on them then re-install with a good sealer. If experience reveals them to be pretty sturdy, I will just remove them first then clean/sand/refinish at home. I've inspected them fairly carefully and don't see any obvious splits or breaks. Thanks in advance for all your input!

Edited by - on

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2006 :  12:17:58  Show Profile
I took mine off, sanded, and Cetol'd them. The key mounting points are the bolts, which allow them to be bent into place before the screws are added to the other loops. Remove the screws, and then put a little WD40 on the acorn nuts before removing them so as to avoid turning the bolts themselves--that can make removal more complicated. You should have no problem... Just knock on them first! Don't forget some polysulfide caulk around each bolt and screw hole when you re-mount them--don't tighten them for a couple of days to form a good gasket, and then tighten them down a little.

OOOPS! A Cal?? Hmmmmm... Forget the details--the general principles might still hold.

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 01/05/2006 12:21:39
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2006 :  12:34:08  Show Profile
Clark,

The handrails aren't fragile and can be removed relatively easily.
On my 80' C25, the handrails are attached via screws from inside the cabin, but I believe some handrails were installed with screws from the top which might require drilling out teak plugs.

The only thing to remember when removing or installing these handrails is that they will spring somewhat straight when not attached to the cabintop. Care must be taken to prevent the handrails from springing straight as they are unscrewed and someone should curve the rail while another puts in the screws from underneath.

Additionally, I marked (etched) the underside of each rail so I would know both the side they came from and the fore/aft orientation to prevent problems with different screw hole spacing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Auburn80
1st Mate

Members Avatar

60 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2006 :  13:55:43  Show Profile
Good input guys . . thanks. Yea, it is a Cal but the systems, general layout and all the issues one has w/ a 20 year old boat are very similar to the C25. I kinda consider them as 1st cousins
Dave, I hadn't thought about the possibility the nuts might be stiff. Will definitely use some Liq Wrench or WD40 to help them along.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2006 :  14:59:37  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dlucier</i>
<br />On my 80' C25, the handrails are attached via screws from inside the cabin, but I believe some handrails were installed with screws from the top which might require drilling out teak plugs.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
For the record (not necessarily for Cal owners)... On my '85, each handrail has three bolts with the heads under plugs in the rail and acorn nuts down below. The other loops are held by screws going up from below. With a little care, the nuts can be removed without turning the bolts--with less luck, the bolts turn with the nuts. The nice thing about the bolts it they allow you to bend the rails into place, attach the nuts, and then add the screws. If the bolts turn with the nuts, you can pull down on them as you turn them to get the bolt head to bind inside the rail, Once loosened a bit, tap on the bolt up to push the plugs out, drizzle a little epoxy or other glue down onto the bolt heads, and let it set up to hold the bolts--then replace the plugs.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

IndyJim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
130 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2006 :  22:31:56  Show Profile
I just refinished my hand rails, hatch boards and my hatch slides. Unless you've got any clearly visible cracks in your hand rails, you have nothing to worry about. The do come of easily and its much easier to sand them that way than attached! I won't even mention what I refinished them with for fear of starting another discussion topic! :)
Now I've got the companion way board guides and step off and doing the re-finishing on them. Those weren't quite as easy to remove! But when spring rolls around I'll have beautiful looking wood with low maintenance. Now on to the other boat projects on the list!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2006 :  21:12:44  Show Profile
If you refinish your hand rails while attached to the boat . . . if you use any chemical cleaners or brighteners, be careful not to allow any of it to run down onto any aluminum window frames and/or plexiglas/lexan windows - else you'll probably damage those surfaces!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Auburn80
1st Mate

Members Avatar

60 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2006 :  21:24:03  Show Profile
Thanks again for everyones input. I've decided to remove them completely before doing any cleaning, sanding or finishing. We had one of those rare January days here in N. Alabama - temps in the high 60's and winds ~ 15. . . . . Dang chores :-(

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page