Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 In again or Out
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captmorgan
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/18/2017 :  20:52:16  Show Profile
Unsure how long its OK to leave my C25 in the water. I have had it in for 1.5 seasons at the end of this season. I live in South Jersey and left it in all winter. the Marina I stay in has bubblers and keeps the ice away. I replaced the swing keel cable and painted the hull with Micron CSC just before I put it back in. Is there a concern leaving it another season or should I pull it and inspect bottom and then put it back next season. Curious on how long you can leave it in.

"The Gal-Way" 1985 SR/SK Barnegat Bay, NJ

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2017 :  21:35:03  Show Profile
Catalina recommends inspecting your keel lifting hardware every two years for a boat in salt water. So if you want to follow that recommendation, you could wait until next year before hauling out to inspect it.

The bottom paint can last that long too, or longer. Just see how it looks. The worst that can happen with bottom paint is marine growth or slime that you can pressure wash away when you haul the boat. You can sail with a dirty bottom, just with less performance.

While I would not recommend it, fiberglass boats like ours often sit neglected in a slip or on a mooring for years, staying afloat while being nearly derelict.

The most common problem for all boats in the water is sinking at the dock. Make sure your thru-hull valves are closed when you leave the boat. An automatic bilge pump powered by a good electrical system is nice to have too.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 08/18/2017 21:35:58
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2017 :  05:59:28  Show Profile
A lot f full service marinas offer short hauls at this time of year. They'll pull your boat up on the lift so you can inspect for growth and power wash the bottom, check for blisters in the gel coat, check your through hulls and any other checks like swing keel inspection. Usually cheap insurance.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2017 :  17:19:19  Show Profile
Thanks Ill look into the short haul idea

"The Gal-Way" 1985 SR/SK Barnegat Bay, NJ

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2017 :  22:58:35  Show Profile
I think it's a good investment. You can really see what the bottom condition is and if you find anything that needs a quick repair, you've saved a headache. Now, it's best to make sure that the yard will allow you to be there all in their business during the haul, that you have an opportunity to inspect, determine whether quick fixes or more serious repairs are needed and that you can, if you so choose, to make the repairs yourself. Some marinas will be all too happy to "help" for a fee, and if you don't have the expertise that's fine. But if you can handle some gel coat repair, replacing a "to hull" fitting, replacing your swing keel winch cable or cable tube, replacing a bearing or adjusting your outboard or lift, then go right ahead. You never quite know what you'll find. Good luck!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2017 :  11:42:11  Show Profile
Some think boats that are hauled out seasonally are better boats because the hulls "dry out" reducing blisters. In other words a long haul out can be a good thing... I think.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2017 :  12:04:45  Show Profile
I read an article in a magazine that recommends to avoid blisters you should pull the boat every 3rd off season so 2yrs in and then pull it for an off season. Fiberglass is not fully waterproof. Given enough time and water will penetrate it.I never thought it was cost effective to leave the boat in the water. Yes it's a little cheaper but then come spring the bottom is just nasty so you then pay for a haul out to pressure wash or hire a diver. Plus you get to worry about the boat in winter storms. Also make sure your insurance Co. Knows you leave the boat in the water through the winter or you may not be covered.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 08/23/2017 12:45:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page