Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 How To Use Mainsheet and Boom To Lower Mast
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

814 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/01/2016 :  19:05:22  Show Profile
I saw in another thread that the mainsheet length specification is longer than needed for sailing so that the mainsheet can be used to drop the mast, and that the boom can be used as a gin pole.

How would that work? Tighten mainsheet, disconnect backstay, disconnect aft shrouds, ease mainsheet to drop the mast?

Has anyone had good or bad experience with this method?

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2016 :  04:03:31  Show Profile
Seth...pretty much how you described it, except my mainsheet wasn't long enough so I also attached my boom vang (I also attached my main halyard to the back of the boom, that's more weight than I wanted to trust to a quarter inch topping lift). You'll still need a helper or two to keep the mast straight as it comes down and to keep the shrouds straight and tangled free on the way up. I'm pretty sure I had to loosen the uppers, but it's been awhile. I liked dropping the mast this way, you can control the speed of the descent, and when raising the mast, it's a pretty easy lift. Good luck.

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

JB
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
110 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2016 :  04:44:06  Show Profile
Will this method work if the boat has a furler? How do you protect it straight?

1988 C25 Wing Keel Std Rig Tohatsu 9.9 Tiller Steering and 2003 C250 Wing Keel Std Rig Inboard Diesel Wheel Steering
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2016 :  05:41:44  Show Profile
quote:
How would that work? Tighten mainsheet, disconnect backstay, disconnect aft shrouds, ease mainsheet to drop the mast?

Sounds like your talking about dropping the mast forward. Using the mainsheet is used when dropping the mast aft. It can be done but not many do it that way.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 11/02/2016 05:43:27
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2016 :  05:55:48  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
I drop the mast forwards. I follow the method listed in the tech tips under Huntington rig. http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/tech/tech25/nymastup.asp . it basically you run the halyard to the end of the boom. run the mainsheet tail to a winch and you are all set. you need to add two lines to the boom to prevent it from falling off one way or another. to do it well requires modification of your upper shrouds. the tech tips specify wire rope. I used stainless plates which were easier to fabricate. I had some pics and a video. i'll have to find them.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2016 :  08:01:52  Show Profile
I preferred dropping the mast aft, more boat length under the mast, and easy to control using DavyJ's metal conduit A-frame method. Also, the A-frame was real easy to make. I should think that, with a furler, it would not be a good idea dropping the mast forward.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2016 :  08:10:32  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by dmpilc

I should think that, with a furler, it would not be a good idea dropping the mast forward.

It's not hard. you just tie a line to it, and let it go over the side. as the mast goes down, pull it further back.

It would be easier on the furler going aft, as well as avoiding damage to the steaming light. the hunting rig advantage is that it can be done underway for a bridge. you can even keep the mainsail bent on.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2016 :  14:40:44  Show Profile
Thanks everyone - helpful as always!

Seth
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2016 :  14:53:20  Show Profile
Lowering the mast forward is going to end up with a hole lotta mast sticking out the front of your boat. Somthing like 17 1/2ft on a standard rig. Even more on a tall rig. Hang on really good when you remove the mast bolt

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 11/02/2016 14:55:12
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2016 :  04:27:50  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Lowering the mast forward is going to end up with a hole lotta mast sticking out the front of your boat. Somthing like 17 1/2ft on a standard rig. Even more on a tall rig. Hang on really good when you remove the mast bolt

you tie a short line between stanchions across the top of the mast. then remove the bolt

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2017 :  18:58:52  Show Profile
I suppose I ought to update this thread. I should have come back here first to read Todd's comment before dropping the mast last week.

We dropped the mast forward. Forward was better than aft for me because I have a permanently installed bimini abaft the boom in the cockpit. Also, if you do this right, you don't need to build a gin pole.

We used only the block and tackle on the mainsheet, with the boom acting as a gin pole. I secured the boom in place in the slot on the mast with a new mast-slot stopper above and the slot-mounted cleat for the downhaul below. We secured the end of the boom to the pigtail on the backstay in case the topping lift failed. (I think the topping lift alone will support the loading but the pigtail was there and easily attached.) In addition to completely releasing the aft lower shrouds, I also had to loosen the upper shrouds before the mast would move from vertical. I also loosened the bolt that goes through the mast step and the base of the mast.

This procedure became a bit "hairy" when the mast was less than 45 degrees from vertical because I did not secure the boom laterally (as Todd had mentioned in his post). So the boom started to fall to the side when the mast was nearly horizontal. Fortunately, I had a friend available to push on the boom and keep it somewhat centered. Next time, I will run guy lines from the aft end of the boom to the jib sheet winches on each side of the boat, to keep the boom centered, which Todd had advised in his post but I forgot.

Todd, thanks for your previous advice.

Seth
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16

Edited by - sethp001 on 08/24/2017 19:02:31
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2017 :  05:25:31  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by sethp001

This procedure became a bit "hairy" when the mast was less than 45 degrees from vertical because I did not secure the boom laterally

that's ok, when i got my current boat in Lake Norman NC. I had to drop the mast and in my hurry to make time, i forgot the baby stays. the mast fell about 4 feet at the end when the boom went over. No damage was done. Since then the boat is permanently rigged with a joint in he upper stays so they remain taught as the mast comes down.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page