Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Bottom Strip and Paint $800?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kper
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/04/2015 :  08:43:13  Show Profile
As most here know I've been prepping for bottom paint. It currently has CPP on it and out of curiosity I called an old coworker at a nearby marina for a price on stripping the hull. He quoted me for sand strip, barrier and Paint - labor price only - $800. I can get the barrier and paint at cost at the marina I work part time. This seems awfully cheap to me.

It's a bit difficult to visit to check progress and hull condition due to location but I supposed I could make it happen.

Thoughts?

Kyle
'86 SR/SK/Dinette #5284 "Anodyne"
In the barn where we found her...

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2015 :  08:44:22  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
ive been quoted much higher before.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2015 :  09:29:45  Show Profile
What do they mean by 'Sand Strip'? Is that sanding the bottom or sand blasting. I hope they don't mean sand blasting because that will rip the gel coat and fiberglass off. My marina uses crushed walnut shells as a medium for blasting.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2015 :  10:00:06  Show Profile
I was hoping for a walnut shell blast but I can't find anyone local with proven hull experience. This was sand paper stripping. Not really excited about that, either.

Kyle

Edited by - Kper on 05/04/2015 10:00:53
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2015 :  17:23:35  Show Profile
My marina wants $1,125. Add the price of paint (retail) to your quote and you would be pretty close to my quote.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2015 :  17:29:49  Show Profile
I was just priced at $150/foot to blast, redo barrier coat w/ 3 coats and 2 coats of copolymer

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2015 :  17:36:45  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Man I'd have happily paid twice that to avoid doing it myself.

C&C 32 Smith Mountain Lake Virginia
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2015 :  12:49:18  Show Profile
When you say "strip," most boaters interpret that to mean "strip off all the old antifouling." When this person talks about "sand stripping," he probably means sanding it a little smoother than it is, but not removing it all. I seriously doubt that Interlux Paint Company would approve of applying their barrier paint over old antifouling.

But, he might be talking about using a really aggressive power sanding tool and grinding off all the paint and perhaps more. If that's what he means, I wouldn't let him do that to my boat.

If he really means to strip all the old antifouling off, leaving all the gelcoat, barrier coat the boat, and then apply antifouling to the bottom, and do it all for $800. for labor, then I'd say that's a good price.

You should get a clear understanding as to exactly how he proposes to do it, and then put it in writing, and check on his work each day. After everything is covered with paint, you have no way of knowing whether he has damaged your boat.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 05/05/2015 12:51:44
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2015 :  14:48:30  Show Profile
I missed the part about doing the barrier coat! My $1,125 was just for sanding and painting.

I'd be very cautious if this guy is saying he can do all he mentioned for $800.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2015 :  17:53:16  Show Profile
The quoted price was to strip the hull to the gel coat by means of mechanical sanding, applying a barrier coat and bottom paint (VC17). In the conversation I was told strip the hull - $800 and I supply materials. After getting off the phone I did the quick math (quick for an old guy) and realized it was cheaper than I had expected so I called back to get another quote to include barrier coat and paint. I was told that included barrier and paint but I supplied materials.

Sounded great at first and then I started getting a bad feeling and I'm gonna have to go with my gut feeling and pass... something about somebody else putting sandpaper to my hull. I've beaten this horse for a while and since I don't live where I have many options for hiring out this sort of thing I'm left with smoothing what I have, scuff with 80 grit and rolling on more ablative. The marina has offered the hoist but my bad shoulder says I'm not up to the task. Someday I may take it down to the gel and get a hard paint on her but for now I just need to get it out of my mind.

Thanks to everyone for their input, I took everyone's advice to heart.

Kyle
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2015 :  21:35:08  Show Profile
Having just poured a bucket of boat units in a new trailer, I decided on the same solution for this year.

EDIT: My lesson in trailer repair/replace, About four years ago I spent $2500 to sandblast, paint and replace some minor bits and pieces on my trailer rather than plunking down $6-7K for a new one. I subsequently spent about $800 on tires, maintenance, and minor repairs, then I dropped another $1500 last year on a major repair. This year I was looking at a $3-400 DIY repair or $1000 repair/upgrade. I sold the trailer "as is" for $1000. The new trailer is better in every measure, less than 2/3 the weight, gives complete peace of mind and quiets the admiral. When in doubt, LISTEN TO THAT INNER VOICE.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 05/05/2015 22:03:43
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2015 :  05:01:44  Show Profile
That $800 sounds fishy... Whenever you're back in the market, I'd ask for some professional references. But while sanding and blasting (even walnuts--I believe soda is better) can damage the gelcoat, I'm not sure that's an issue if you're putting a proper barrier coat on (meaning several coats as specified by the mfgr.) You want that to go onto a solid base, and gelcoat is not as good a base as the harder resin under it. You just don't want to expose glass mat. The barrier coat becomes your protection against blisters, as well as your primer. Gelcoat, especially if it's been sanded, is not as effective against blisters.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/06/2015 06:59:16
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2015 :  17:15:59  Show Profile
I'm listening to that inner voice and, yes, it sounds fishy only because I think he may have misquoted me. I'd rather pay too much for a fantastic job that not enough and have them short cut it because they know they blew the estimate.

Kyle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page