Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Does Anyone want to sail in the NOOD?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/29/2015 :  07:35:50  Show Profile
It appears that I will need one additional crew member to race my Cal 25 in the Annapolis NOOD Regatta this Saturday. Dock time is 8:30 am Saturday morning at the small marina at 300 Burnside Street, in Eastport. If so, you will need to submit an online waiver. Anyone interested? Let me know asap, so I can add your name to the crew list.

Thanks!

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2015 :  09:21:39  Show Profile
I just received replies from two crew that they will both race on all three days, so my crew is full. (Thank goodness!)

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2015 :  13:02:35  Show Profile
Go get 'em Steve!

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2015 :  13:44:45  Show Profile
Thanks Derek! The NOOD Regatta was my first race with the Cal last year, and nothing was working for us. The winds were strong, the rig was badly untuned, the crew was new and disorganized, and we didn't do well. We did better as the year progressed. This year, the winds should be milder (I like light air), we have a new bow man who I think will be good, the rig is tuned, and we're going to try a procedure that I learned from J World last year. Instead of re-packing the spinnaker and re-running the lines after each spinnaker run, we're going to lower the spinnaker into the companionway hatch, disconnect the spinnaker topping lift and temporarily attach it to the base of the mast, where it will be out of the way of the jib sheets, and then, when we hoist the spinnaker on the next downwind leg, we'll re-attach the topping lift to the spinnaker pole, and hoist the spinnaker right out of the companionway hatch. If all the lines were in order and remained attached when the spinnaker came down, they should come out the same way. That procedure worked great at J World. We raised and doused the spinnaker at least a dozen times without a misstep. The benefit is that it greatly reduces the workload of the crew, and eliminates the likelihood of rigging errors. I hope it works for us. Did you ever use it on your boat? Do you have any thoughts as to whether it should or should not work for us?

Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 04/29/2015 13:47:59
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2015 :  03:37:30  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Steve, we companionway launch too... one tip that'll prevent some twists, and issues. pre-feed to the jaws of the spin pole... as you get ready to launch have the halyard at the mast, meanwhile as the trimmer tosses the head of the spinnaker/snap shackle out of the companionway, out and away from the boat around the shrouds... as the bowman launches the halyard... if you do things in that order, the spin clears the shrouds and fills out as it goes up, no twists.

Sounds easy but takes practice.

C&C 32 Smith Mountain Lake Virginia
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2015 :  08:13:59  Show Profile
Thanks John. That's just the kind of tip we need to avoid small hangups! I'm indebted!

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2015 :  13:18:29  Show Profile
Steve, I never ran a chute on TSU. I found that a poled-out 155% and good offwind technique was equally as fast.(Incidentally, on the Columbia River Nationals using my technique we beat every spinnaker boat).
Most of the J22's racing on our lake launch from their companionways and we saw very few "Mae Wests".

Derek Crawford
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2015 :  12:27:11  Show Profile
Wind looking pretty light tomorrow Steve. Hopefully that works in your favor! I'll be out there on DB give me a holler on the VHF if you see me! ch69

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2015 :  07:18:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Derek Crawford

Steve, I never ran a chute on TSU. I found that a poled-out 155% and good offwind technique was equally as fast.(Incidentally, on the Columbia River Nationals using my technique we beat every spinnaker boat).
Most of the J22's racing on our lake launch from their companionways and we saw very few "Mae Wests".

We raced under Portsmouth at Brookville Lake, and we also used to beat spinnaker boats with white sails, but we were allowed to use telescoping whisker poles as long as we wished.

When I came here I learned that Chesapeake Bay phrf limited the whisker pole length to the length of the J. That means you can't spread the jib over nearly as much area, and white sails can't be competitive with spinnakers. I heard that Ches. Bay phrf changed the rule recently to remove that limit on pole length, but I haven't looked at the rules to confirm it yet.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2015 :  08:04:12  Show Profile
Actually, I saw a C25 out there, but didn't know it was you, Rob.

Update: We scored DFL in the regatta. But, a few days before, I didn't have enough crew to be competitive. I checked with the Spinsheet Crew List, and got a mother and 15 year old son, and a fairly recent college grad with some foredeck experience, but more enthusiasm than skill. The mother has fairly good basic sailing skills, but she is eager to learn, and the son has good dinghy skills. All three are learning sponges.

We sailed the first race in the 10 race regatta (which was the first time any of us had sailed together) and failed miserably. So, rather than discourage them by struggling badly through 3 more races on Friday, I decided to withdraw from racing for the day, and we stayed out and practiced putting the chute up, jibing it, and taking it down.

On Saturday, all four races were abandoned due to lack of wind.

On Sunday, there were two races. Winds were moderate (neither strong nor light). The 15 year old raced with his buddy on their dinghy, and another person who planned to crew for us didn't show up, so we were shy one crew. Nevertheless, I was pleased to see my shorthanded crew complete every maneuver that they had to accomplish, successfully. They weren't smooth enough to make us competitive yet, but they got everything done without major foul-ups. The first downwind leg on Sunday was one of the most complicated that I have seen. We rounded the windward mark, hoisted the chute, doused the genoa, gybed the chute shortly afterward, ran downwind, gybed again, sailed through the gates, doused the chute, and raised the genoa. My new crew got it all done, not flawlessly, but with no major foul-ups, and shorthanded.

On the brighter side, we got great starts in every race, hitting the line at speed with clear air, and we had good windward legs. We only have to fix one problem to be competitive, and that is the spinnaker run.

Nobody likes to finish DFL, but I'm thrilled at this crew's performance, because they are definite "learners," and I think they will all race with me all summer. By then, they'll easily be competitive in the Cal 25 fleet, which is one of the Bay's most competitive racing fleets. You have to build a team, with team skills, before you can even think about winning, and I think I have a crew now that is capable of doing what it takes. I think it's going to be a good summer! Also, it gets easier after this. The NOOD is the most technically demanding regatta of the season.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2015 :  11:11:21  Show Profile
They are very lucky to have you as their teacher.

Derek Crawford
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2015 :  12:06:51  Show Profile
Thanks Derek. I just regret that I waited until I hit age 70 to learn how to fly a symmetrical spinnaker. I missed out on a lot of fun, and could have done it so much better when I was younger.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2015 :  18:48:19  Show Profile
Let me know if that doesn't pan out with them. Alyson and I would still be interested in joining Fridays. Actually that wasn't me out there Saturday. We decided to switch yardwork to Saturday and sail Sunday due to the poor wind hoping for better on Sunday. Ended up helping my buddy relocate his C30 from back creek to Whitehall creek Sunday. Good thing there was better wind that day cause his atomic 4 was acting all kinds of crazy. Died in the channel leaving back creek and lost all steerage with plenty of boats bearing down on us. I had the quick reaction to get all the sails hoisted asap to get us out of trouble. I'll say, besides being a bunch more stable, I liked everything my boat does better. Good thing I opted out of buying it lol.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2015 :  07:33:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DavidBuoy

Let me know if that doesn't pan out with them. Alyson and I would still be interested in joining Fridays.

I'm sure the 15 year old will want to sail with his buddy occasionally, and I'll need replacements. I'll keep you in mind if/when that happens, Rob. Thanks for offering!

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page