Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Hawkeye sounder install
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LuckyDuck
1st Mate

Members Avatar

40 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2022 :  21:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

Looks like you have a plan!

Yes, the Robin’s Nest site was very inspiring, too. Funny, the previous owner of My C25 built a shelf above the through-hull also. It’s plywood screwed into cross members and a bear to work under but too much work to dismantle. I wish it was at least clear plexiglass like yours.

“Lucky Duck” - ‘87 C25 Trad. SR/WK #5588
Whiskeytown Lake, CA
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2022 :  21:32:16  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your comments on my shelf! The plexiglas sides basically enclose the thru-hulls & wiring. The plexiglas shelf extends over and past the sides - full length from hull’s port side to Starboard side. I have screw fasteners that attach the plexiglas sides w/wood supports to the plexiglas shelf. But the entire assembly is not screwed or fastened to the hull or bulkhead except for 2 Velcro strips on the V Berth wall that Velcro to the plexiglass sides. The entire assembly fits extremely snug because I used a cardboard template to get the contour of the shelf and the forward plexiglas side accurate. Padding was then used to cushion the hull from the assembly and firms/wedges the assembly against any shifting. I used plexiglas for the assembly to provide good visibility and sort of a more modern look.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

LuckyDuck
1st Mate

Members Avatar

40 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2022 :  22:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for your comments on my shelf! The plexiglas sides basically enclose the thru-hulls & wiring. The plexiglas shelf extends over and past the sides - full length from hull’s port side to Starboard side. I have screw fasteners that attach the plexiglas sides w/wood supports to the plexiglas shelf. But the entire assembly is not screwed or fastened to the hull or bulkhead except for 2 Velcro strips on the V Berth wall that Velcro to the plexiglass sides. The entire assembly fits extremely snug because I used a cardboard template to get the contour of the shelf and the forward plexiglas side accurate. Padding was then used to cushion the hull from the assembly and firms/wedges the assembly against any shifting. I used plexiglas for the assembly to provide good visibility and sort of a more modern look.

Yes, it looked great and it’s nice to have the extra “flat” storage under there. I’m curious how you routed your transducer cable? I’m looking to go to the starboard side under the head sink and through the compartment under the starboard settee.

Whiskeytown Lake, CA
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2022 :  12:44:53  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I routed it on the port side. The plexiglas sides have wide slots on their bottom adjacent to the hull, so the wiring passes under the plexiglas port side then passes along the port side thru the head compartment. Then the wiring passes through under the port main cabin seats. I do not recall exactly how I did that. There may have been an opening at the bottom of the main cabin bulkhead and I just pulled the wire through. You can probably do the same via the starboard side. If there is no small opening, you may have to drill a small hole to pass through the VBerth bulkhead and/or the main cabin bulkhead. I do not think I had to drill any holes - If I remember, I'll check my wiring and the pass-throughs when I next go down to the marina. I was just there yesterday but I'll probably be back there within next several days. We are right now in a brief warm spell and temps are in 50s...may hit 60F. I would be out sailing but we have to watch my grandkids the next few days since my son and daughter-in-law are going out of town starting this afternoon.

By the way, one of the VBerth shelf pictures shows the wiring passing thru to the head compartment. Probably same can e done on the starboard side. Not sure about the pass through to the main cabin - I'll have to check that out.

Larry

Edited by - OLarryR on 02/09/2022 13:28:56
Go to Top of Page

LuckyDuck
1st Mate

Members Avatar

40 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2022 :  15:13:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I routed it on the port side. The plexiglas sides have wide slots on their bottom adjacent to the hull, so the wiring passes under the plexiglas port side then passes along the port side thru the head compartment. Then the wiring passes through under the port main cabin seats. I do not recall exactly how I did that. There may have been an opening at the bottom of the main cabin bulkhead and I just pulled the wire through. You can probably do the same via the starboard side. If there is no small opening, you may have to drill a small hole to pass through the VBerth bulkhead and/or the main cabin bulkhead. I do not think I had to drill any holes - If I remember, I'll check my wiring and the pass-throughs when I next go down to the marina. I was just there yesterday but I'll probably be back there within next several days. We are right now in a brief warm spell and temps are in 50s...may hit 60F. I would be out sailing but we have to watch my grandkids the next few days since my son and daughter-in-law are going out of town starting this afternoon.

By the way, one of the VBerth shelf pictures shows the wiring passing thru to the head compartment. Probably same can e done on the starboard side. Not sure about the pass through to the main cabin - I'll have to check that out.

Thanks! I have some other wire and water tubing going through the starboard side so probably will just follow that. Just got in from sailing — it’s 83* today with brisk winds so hard to spend the day crouched in a cabin!

Whiskeytown Lake, CA
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2022 :  15:49:55  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was on my boat today and checked out the wiring access for port and starboard sides. I have an '89, so your access may be same or slightly different.You can do it on either side. You mentioned that you will likely do it on the starboard side.On the starboard side, as you indicated, you can just follow the water lines - The VBerth bulkhead has wiring access since the sink drain line goes forward to the seacock. Similarly, the main cabin bulkhead has wiring access for the water tank line going to the sink. The only issue is depending on the transducer and/or Hawkeye sounder cable connector at the end of the wire, if it is more than say 3/8" - 1/2" then you may have to widen the hole a bit. On the port side there is also access via a space between the bulkhead and the hull. The only issue on the port side is passing the wire thru the Head area. Behind my Port Potti, there is an enclosed shelf. An electrical snake/fish tape can be passed from the main cabin area, then behind the head/shelf area into the VBerth area - Then pull the wire through. Another option is to just unscrew the shelf panel (behind the port potti )to gain access to that area, then pass the wire thru by hand.

Larry

Edited by - OLarryR on 02/12/2022 15:52:22
Go to Top of Page

LuckyDuck
1st Mate

Members Avatar

40 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2022 :  18:37:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was on my boat today and checked out the wiring access for port and starboard sides. I have an '89, so your access may be same or slightly different.You can do it on either side. You mentioned that you will likely do it on the starboard side.On the starboard side, as you indicated, you can just follow the water lines - The VBerth bulkhead has wiring access since the sink drain line goes forward to the seacock. Similarly, the main cabin bulkhead has wiring access for the water tank line going to the sink. The only issue is depending on the transducer and/or Hawkeye sounder cable connector at the end of the wire, if it is more than say 3/8" - 1/2" then you may have to widen the hole a bit. On the port side there is also access via a space between the bulkhead and the hull. The only issue on the port side is passing the wire thru the Head area. Behind my Port Potti, there is an enclosed shelf. An electrical snake/fish tape can be passed from the main cabin area, then behind the head/shelf area into the VBerth area - Then pull the wire through. Another option is to just unscrew the shelf panel (behind the port potti )to gain access to that area, then pass the wire thru by hand.

Thanks Larry. I ended up running it down the starboard side, following water/drain lines as you mentioned. The rca plug on the Hawkeye cable is about 1/2” so I had to drill a separate 5/8” hole through the v-berth bulkhead and fish tape the line though. It was easy after that through the water tank area, under the quarterberth and back up and over to the gauge. I “plugged” the 4” hole left by the old gauge with high-density foam board. Now I’m waiting for the starboard to arrive so I can cap it front and back and insert the new sounder. Then plop the ducer into the wax. Can’t wait!

Whiskeytown Lake, CA
Go to Top of Page

LuckyDuck
1st Mate

Members Avatar

40 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2022 :  21:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished the sounder project today! The black 1/4” starboard worked perfectly as did the butyl tape for bedding. Worst part was kneading and sticking the blob of wax up in the tight area under the V-berth and mashing the transducer into it, getting it level etc. Even with nitrile gloves it was a messy job. Everything is now reading perfectly! Thanks to all for the tips and guidance! — Greg

Whiskeytown Lake, CA
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2022 :  22:00:55  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad it all worked out ! Enjoy!

Larry
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page