Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Holiday Greetings from an old friend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/29/2020 :  06:31:20  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all, After receiving an inquiry from an owner, it occurred to me that I've been remiss in not checking in here in a very long time.

Quickly seen was some familiar names and I express greetings to those and others not yet met.

Gosh, I haven't sailed in 17 yrs now, but have kept R&R on the outside chance that life twist may offer another window, though those chances are looking dimmer. Those who remember, know that my passion was Great Lakes Sailing, but those waters are 1,300 miles away.

Some of you also might recall my return to an earlier interest in RC airplanes, greatly because the club field is 10 min from the house and friends there go back forty five years. I did that in 2001, two years before the last Great Lakes summer cruise.

Building and flying has served a great pastime and I've greatly enjoyed both during retirement.

Oh gosh... the sailing memories flood me sometimes. 3,500 miles of sailing / cruising on the Great Lakes was the fulfillment of a young boy's dreams who grew up on the coast of Lake Huron watching sail ply up and down the lake. It was my good fortune that life offered the fulfillment of those dreams. As well, may each of your dreams be fulfilled...

It was also my pleasure to serve a stint or two as an officer to the Association, to provide 75 steering conversion kits to C250 owners, to write accounts of several cruises, to get a little recognition in Sail Magazine, to enjoy online friendships here, and to have met and talked a bit with Frank Butler about the C-250 both in person and on the phone. He provided me with the ideal boat for my needs. Bless him for doing so.

Happy holidays from an old friend.

BTW, Actually I have sailed some the past few years. The local community has a nice small pond and I've a couple of RC sailboats.

Arlyn C-250 W/B #224

N/E Texas and Great Lakes
Arlyn's Sailing Site

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2020 :  07:43:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Arlyn!!

'GREAT to hear from you! We've missed your comments and expertise, so please don't go so long between visits. There is MUCH you could contribute. I am glad to hear that you've held onto R&R, and I hope that "window" opens up.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you, too!

Buzz Maring

~~Freya~~
C-25 SK/SR #68
Lake Dallas, TX
Go to Top of Page

Bill Holcomb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
769 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2020 :  08:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Arlyn - - What a surprise to hear from you. What wonderful memories.
Bill Holcomb - C25 Snickerdoodle #4839
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2020 :  10:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arlynn, good to hear you're well and still having fun!

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2020 :  15:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arlyn, your name still comes up here in maneuvering discussions leading to "Arlyn's soft-link" and whether a C-250 WB is suitable for big-water coastal sailing. It's great to hear from you, and that you're still sailing--no matter the size of the sails! Do you have some R/C ore boats on that pond to make you feel at home? (I guess they'd have to be about 50' long to be to scale.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 11/29/2020 15:46:34
Go to Top of Page

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2020 :  21:22:17  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was really nice to see so many still share the fraternity here.

Dave, I've shared the ore freighter encounter story several times over the years. The memory remains stark.

There are a lot of sailing memories.

One that comes to mind was receiving an email from a guy who IIRC, went through some nasty chemo. He related that a video segment of a Lake Huron crossing was watched over and over again and inspired him through the worst and thanked me for sharing it.

Sailors are a great bunch of guys... it was my good fortune to rub shoulders with so many on this forum. To hear your stories and experiences enriched my sailing interest.

My thanks and gratitude to all here for the fraternity given to me for those many years.

Arlyn

Arlyn C-250 W/B #224

N/E Texas and Great Lakes
Arlyn's Sailing Site
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2020 :  22:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and YOU inspired US! A lot of lake sailors have no idea what crossing Lake Huron is about--sailing over the horizon to a place where there's nothing BUT horizon--on a LAKE--and then on to another country! I grew up near and sailed/boated on Lake Michigan, but never went over the horizon on it. However, I developed a healthy respect for the conditions that can develop on a Great Lake--it doesn't involve the long swells of the ocean, but a weather front can create 10'+ "short seas" with awesome power. It has been said, on Lake Michigan, that a 30' boat is EXACTLY the wrong size to deal with that, and more than a few have been lost. (Smaller is considered better for riding those seas.) Then there's the story (and song) of the Edmund Fitzgerald--a 729' (moderate sized) ore boat that sank on Lake Superior in a November 1975 storm. I've been on Superior, but don't know the measure of the seas from big winds over its length, and never intended to find out! The Great Lakes demand their respect.

I know you had that respect, and exercised it in your passages on L. Huron. It's a beautiful area, but seamanship is demanded, or the price is likely to be paid. That, to me, beyond your reputation for your "Arlyn's soft-link" and your knowledge of the C-250 WB, is your legacy in this sailing community.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 11/29/2020 22:21:22
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2020 :  11:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Wonderful to hear from you Arlyn. You have been a great encouragement to us during our "Living on board full time & going South", 13 month 25,000 km (17,000 mile) from September 2006 to October 2007.

It was the trip of our life. We incorporated many of your mods and additions beside having great personal contact

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2020 :  19:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Arlyn,Happy Thanksgiving! Good to hear from you.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page