Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 cockpit drains
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eagleeyepandv
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/18/2020 :  14:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone replaced the two brass drain tubes in the cockpit that exit through the transom? The brass on ours is shot and needs to be replaced, but I haven’t had luck finding the right replacements. I’d prefer to stay away from brass this time around. Any insight or recommendations you can provide are appreciated.

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2020 :  04:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found a thread from a couple of years back, hope it helps.

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=30880&SearchTerms=Scuppers

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

eagleeyepandv
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2020 :  06:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is helpful, thanks. It didn't provide a straight forward approach, but there are a couple of resources I'm going to pursue.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2020 :  08:20:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a quick check of Catalina Direct and came up with nothing like the thin brass tubes.

• I saw a part for a C27 at https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-27/hull-deck/stern/transom-drain-amp-plug-assembly-c-22-c-27/
This is a plastic thru-transom drain plug. It might work.

• You might be able to get some thin brass sheeting. 0.005” or 0.010”. You could create a tube pretty easily by wrapping a short piece around a broomstick.

• I took a simpler approach. Since the brass was only worn through on the bottom, I took some marine tex epoxy and rolled out a bead between two pieces of waxed paper. I rolled it out about 2” long and 1/4” thick. I put this long thin strand inside the drain tube and mashed it down and coated the bottom with thickened epoxy. Did that about four years ago and it’s working fine. Not unsightly either. That said, you might prefer a more elegant solution.

Might be a few other approaches based on exotic industry-specific solutions.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 04/19/2020 08:24:52
Go to Top of Page

bjoye
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
105 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2020 :  08:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made the same repair two years ago. This is how I handled the issue.

First I tried a Forspar Garboard Drain Tube.

but this did not work out very well. The lip is too high and allowed lots of water to pool before exiting. Plus, it was pretty ugly.

The solution is to use epoxy to form a new tube. I used a dremel tool to cut out the old tubes. Then I use a drill mounting sanding wheel

to clean out the old hole. I was aiming for an approximate 1" hole, so used a slightly larger wheel.

Notice the large gap between the transom and the back of the cockpit wall. Next I used West Systems epoxy with filler (406) to the thickness of peanut butter and smeared it into all the gaps and cracks inside the hole. Then use the sanding wheel to smooth out the epoxy. And finally, apply a few coats of gel coat (with wax), and hand sand to smooth finish. (sorry, no pictures). The reason for the gel coat is to protect the epoxy from UV and it makes a nice finish.

The result works well, even better than before. The lip is very near the floor of the cockpit and drains well. I did not bother to try to tint the gel coat as the default white color is pretty close to the current oxidized gel coat.

"Frayed Knot" 1989 C-25 WK/SR #5878
Go to Top of Page

eagleeyepandv
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2020 :  08:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bruce, Thanks for looking into this for me. I found the same part from CD. I plan to call them tomorrow to see if this might work. Assuming it does, that will be my approach. It sounds like, and makes sense, we have/had similar wear on the tube, only the bottom is gone. It’s too bad I can’t spin it and bring the top to the bottom and get another 30 or so years out of it. Currently, the boat is sitting in our driveway, taking on water every time it rains, which it’s done a lot in Baltimore lately. If the CD part doesn’t work out, I’ll probably use the same approach you used with epoxy.
Go to Top of Page

eagleeyepandv
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2020 :  16:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far, I haven’t been able to find a suitable replacement drain tube. In an earlier post, I jokingly said I wish I could spin the existing brass tubes and get another 30 years out of them. Well…I thought “what the heck” and gave it a try. To my surprise, both tubes can be completely spun 180 degrees. Consequently, I’ve ceased my search for a replacement. I plan to use a synthesis of your suggestions along with some 4200 to use the second half of the tubes’ lives. Thanks for all of your help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page