Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Manual vs. handbook
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Catalississippi
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/20/2020 :  06:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone on here know the difference between this manual: https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-category/videos-books/owners-manual-c-25/.

And this handbook: https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-category/videos-books/c-25-owners-handbook/

?

And is either of these the same as what’s already on this site at www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/manbro.asp

?

Thanks.

1980 Catalina 25 TR/SK #2098 ?????
Former owner of 1982 Catalina 25 TR/SK #3081 Suzy-Q

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 02/20/2020 :  07:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not familiar with the "Manual", but bought the "Handbook", which can be thought of as CD's catalog for replacements and upgrades with significant "editorial comments" on what can and should be improved on these aging boats. I can recommend it. The Manual might be a reprint of what's here, or closer to that.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 02/20/2020 :  08:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Catalina Direct Owner's Manual (first link) is 70 some odd pages and combines the original manual and parts list into a full size printed binder instead of the smaller handbook size that came with the boat.

These are available on this site at the third link so you can save some $$$. The value is in the larger, double-sided printing and the binder I guess.

The Catalina Owner's Handbook (second link) is basically a nice presentation of the products Catalina Direct offers for your boat as well as some technical info and tips. All of the products are on their website but this just presents them better. It was worth the $20 for me.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA

Edited by - keats on 02/20/2020 08:21:38
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/20/2020 :  08:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen either publication, but Catalina published an Owner's Manual that is very thorough and informative, and you can download it from our website for free. I wouldn't pay $49.95 for it in the hope that it contains more useful information than Catalina's original owner's manual.

Based on the "more info" tab, the Catalina 25 Owner's Handbook appears to be essentially a catalogue of parts and merchandise that is available from Catalina Direct for the C25. I suspect most of that information is available from the Catalina Direct website. The printed publication might make it a little more convenient to search through it.

Since I haven't seen either publication, I have to guess that, perhaps the Catalina Direct Owner's Manual consists of a reprint of the original Catalina Owner's Manual, supplemented by the Catalina Direct Owner's Handbook.

In any event, I think you would get most of the same info by printing out the original Catalina Owner's Manual from our website, and searching the Catalina Direct website online for parts and merchandise.

Moreover, by participating in this forum, you'll have access to an accumulated several hundreds of years of sailors with hands-on experience in sailing and maintaining their Catalina 25s, all of whom are eager to share what they have learned.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Catalississippi
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Response Posted - 02/20/2020 :  15:06:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, all. This is what I had suspected: that 1) the Handbook appears to be published by Catalina Direct, as a kind of catalog and price list, 2) all of their info is of course online at their CD site, and 3) the Manual is/was published by Catalina and is likely the same one offered for free download here and thus not worth $50.

In any event, I had previously downloaded and printed the C-25 documents from the "Manuals and Brochures" link on the Association site here to the left side of the page. The C.Direct picture of their open manual appears to be pp. 8-9 of the Parts Manual ("parts catalogue") available for download on this site. I don't recognize the larger overhead drawing of the boat which the manual is resting on, though. Not a big deal.

I am just thirsty for information on these boats so I can best work on the Suzy-Q. And to that end I've been thinking the same thoughts Steve Milby expressed - that this forum is the best manual/handbook I could have access to.

Thanks again - this relative C-25 rookie appreciates it. Two threads in now, both with several quick and helpful replies, I can assure you all that more questions are coming.

1980 Catalina 25 TR/SK #2098 ?????
Former owner of 1982 Catalina 25 TR/SK #3081 Suzy-Q

Edited by - Catalississippi on 02/20/2020 15:19:15
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 02/20/2020 :  15:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll add that while the CD Handbook is essentially a catalog (for which they send annual updates), leafing through it gave me a number of ideas on upgrades to consider. They know these boats and their evolution, include a number of discussions in the book, and point out areas for improvements (for which, of course, they have the parts and kits). I might not have noticed most of these things just browsing their web site. I considered the Handbook about the best $10 I spent on the boat.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/20/2020 15:55:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page