Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Motor Mount fir 9.9 hp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ed White
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/14/2019 :  20:01:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am 70 years old and lifting my 9.9 hp motor is difficult. Has anyone ever put a gas lift on a motor mount to make it easier to lift? OMC made one year ago but they are out of business. I have been trying to find a used one on eBay with no success. My next idea was to try mounting a gas lift on my current motor mount. Determining the right size could be a real challenge. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Skipper Ed

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2019 :  13:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ed - the Catalina Direct motor mounts can be ordered with different numbers of springs. The more springs built into the engine mount, the easier it is to lift the engine. Have you considered that option? You can buy a 4 spring mount. I have a 2 spring engine mount for my Mercury 9.9 four stroke and my wife and kids can lift the engine, perhaps a 4 spring will be enough stored energy to be enough for you?

Erik

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234

Edited by - Erik Cornelison on 12/15/2019 13:51:49
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2019 :  15:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, to be 70 again... What do you have now? If it's primarily tubular stainless steel, it's a Garhauer like Catalina Direct sells, and a new CD mount would fit your current bolt holes. I don't know about adding springs to an older one--you could ask them. Adding a gas strut would have about the same effect, but with more engineering (and maybe some welding).

If your 9.9 is a 2-stroke, the CD 4-spring mount might be too much lift--you might have to stand on the motor to get it all the way down. They recommend the 4-spring for 95 lbs and above--that would be just about all 9+ hp 4-strokes. They recommend 3 springs for 80-95 lbs, which could include a 9.9 2-stroke.

Some folks have rigged a come-along between the stern rail and the bracket using a couple of double-blocks for 3:1 or 4:1 purchase.

Then there's the axe-handle lever shown in this thread. Simple, easy to make, and simpler is often better!

Edit: Several folks have reported that lubricating the pivot points of the bracket can make a huge difference.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/15/2019 16:04:47
Go to Top of Page

Ed White
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2019 :  16:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Outboard motor is a 2 Cycle. The motor mount is stainless steel with 2 springs. I am guessing the springs have lost a lot of strength due to age. Adding or replacing the springs could be very challenging. Stinkpotter, thank you for the link to the axe-handle lever. This may be a simple solution. I will lubricate the pivot points and see if that helps. The alternative would be to replace the motor mount. Thank you for the suggestions.

Skipper Ed
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2019 :  21:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

...Then there's the axe-handle lever shown in this thread. Simple, easy to make, and simpler is often better!...

My dad had something similar on our powerboat (didn't have power trim or tilt) he used to tilt up the 50hp 2 cycle Mercury outboard.

One day a guy was walking down the dock while my my dad was tilting up the motor and said "I see you have one of those "armstrong" handles to tilt your motor" (get it "arm strong" )! My dad nearly fell out of the boat laughing.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 12/15/2019 21:40:19
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 12/17/2019 :  11:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Stinkpotter for e link to the axe -handle. What a simple and useful tool. All the best

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page