Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 New Owner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RockB
Deckhand

Member Avatar

20 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/09/2019 :  20:11:29  Show Profile  Visit RockB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Long story short I just picked up a 79 Catalina 25 Swing Keel pop top for the amazing price of Free.

I was watching YouTube one day and was following a couple that had gotten a free sailboat and figured I would give it a try so I posted an add on Craigs list and 12 days later was contacted by the previous owner. Well I guess he is still technically still the owner. We are supposed to get together tomorrow to sign the title and bill of sale and the sails.

Not knowing much about these boats, or sailing in general, I am not sure how to tell if any modifications have been made to it but she is in much better shape than I thought she would be for free. She was overall clean and has a 9.9 Honda 4 stroke, long shaft, electric start, that purrs like a kitten. Fired it up yesterday and ran for a little over 2 hours to move her from the marina to my free bearth behind a family members house.

My background is sailing with my folks from age 5 to about 8 or 9. Started out with a 22, then moved to 27, then 32, then 37. Hurricane got the 37 but by that time Dad and I were more into fishing and diving so we went to power boats.

While attending college I was working marine construction and doing a little vessel maintenance and a yacht broker turned me on to a guy who had a Bruce Roberts either 38 or 48 can't remember wich but it was a big center cockpit. He basically gave me the keys and a list of stiff to fix and said take it out as much as I wanted and fix anything that broke.

Have a list of projects in mind for the C25 but the first is either locating the existing bilge pump or installing one. Was there a standard location for the discharge through hull for a bilge pump on these things?

Bill
1979 Catalina 25 SK #936
Panama City, FL
https://freeboatproject.com

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2019 :  20:41:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome and good luck, plenty of seasoned advice will be forthcoming from experienced and knowledgeable folks here.

Original manual bilge pump was located in the port locker with a lever actuator in the cockpit. A 1" hose picks up under the cabin sole near the keel and discarges through the transom above the water line.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2019 :  23:10:38  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Regarding bulge pump upgrades, I recommend reading Don Casey's description of a good bulge pump system. For that matter, read everything Don Casey has written about repairing, maintaining, and upgrading classic fiberglass sailboats.

Also search this forum for answers to any Catalina 25 question you can think of, and plenty you haven't thought of yet. That should keep you occupied at least through the holidays!

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2019 :  08:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Bill! You've found a great resource--this community of owners. (Some are POs who can't break away... ) The Search function (upper right) lets you select a forum such as General Sailing or Catalina 25--both can be useful. If you don't find much among recent discussions, try checking "Archived Posts"--that can take you back years.

Also check out Catalina Direct--a third-party supplier of replacement parts and upgrades to various Catalina models. They know these boats very well, and have parts such as spreader sockets, stem fittings, gudgeons, mast-head sheaves, etc. that are significant improvements over the original equipment. Their C-25 Owner's Handbook is one of the better $20 investments you can make for the boat, even though it's essentially a catalog... It points out various issues and explains their offerings. They've also been helpful to me over the phone.

Another good investment is membership here--$22 helps fund this site, home to one of the best communities of owners on the web!

Enjoy your "new yacht"!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2019 :  10:32:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Another good investment is membership here--$22 helps fund this site, home to one of the best communities of owners on the web!

Enjoy your "new yacht"!

I'll second that

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2019 :  14:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, indeed!

I sailed with a buddy for about 10 years. I thought I knew something about sailing. But since buying my own C25 and joining the Association, I've learned about anchoring, fiberglass repairs, boat modifications, heavy weather sailing, gennakers, interior lights, rules of the road, reference books, and many other things. In my opinion, it's worth a fortune!

Also this is the best kind of social networking!

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay

Edited by - JohnP on 12/11/2019 14:47:09
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2019 :  20:33:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, welcome. Many years ago i too found a "free" C-25. It was anything but "free" after necessary work was done, but it WAS a true pleasure for me, my sailing son, and since for me to solo sail. Great boats, better built than the press claims, excellent support from factory, Catalina Direct, and most of all this Association. Enjoy the ride, it WILL be fun!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

RockB
Deckhand

Members Avatar

20 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2019 :  07:06:51  Show Profile  Visit RockB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Started the process. If it is like other forums I am a member of it will be worth the $22

Bill
1979 Catalina 25 SK #936
Panama City, FL
Go to Top of Page

RockB
Deckhand

Members Avatar

20 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2019 :  07:37:21  Show Profile  Visit RockB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If this site is like most everyone wants pictures.

Here she is at anchor.

Bill
1979 Catalina 25 SK #936
Panama City, FL
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2019 :  10:59:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow look at that! Not only was the boat free.... It even floats!

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 12/14/2019 11:00:48
Go to Top of Page

RockB
Deckhand

Members Avatar

20 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2019 :  17:10:48  Show Profile  Visit RockB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How do I tell if it is a standard or tall?

PO said sails were for a J-27.

Bill
1979 Catalina 25 SK #936
Panama City, FL

Edited by - RockB on 12/15/2019 17:14:39
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 12/16/2019 :  06:44:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bill,

I can't really tell from the photo and the boom may have been moved if you have a non-original sail.

The mast in the standard rig is 28 feet tall and 30 feet on the tall rig. So measuring is one way to find out.

The luff dimension on the standard mainsail is 24'8" and 27'8" on the tall rig.

So the easiest way is to measure from the mast base to the top edge of the boom. 3'4" and it's a standard, 2'4" and it's a tall. This assumes standard sails and that the boom has not been raised and lowered, which may not be the case for you.

Another way to tell is if the boom hits you in the head standing in the cockpit of you are of average height.

If you have a J-27 main it must have been re-cut I would think.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

RockB
Deckhand

Members Avatar

20 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2019 :  04:16:12  Show Profile  Visit RockB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keats

quote:

Bill,

I can't really tell from the photo and the boom may have been moved if you have a non-original sail.

The mast in the standard rig is 28 feet tall and 30 feet on the tall rig. So measuring is one way to find out.

The luff dimension on the standard mainsail is 24'8" and 27'8" on the tall rig.

So the easiest way is to measure from the mast base to the top edge of the boom. 3'4" and it's a standard, 2'4" and it's a tall. This assumes standard sails and that the boom has not been raised and lowered, which may not be the case for you.

Another way to tell is if the boom hits you in the head standing in the cockpit of you are of average height.

If you have a J-27 main it must have been re-cut I would think.

Thank you Keats.

The sails that came with it are:
Main
Luff: 31'8"
Leech: 32'11"
Foot: 11'2"

Jib
Luff:27'3"
Leech 24'8"
Foot 15'3"

If the weather is not too bad Sunday I will go down with a tape measure and pull it up the mast to see what I actually need.

Bill
1979 Catalina 25 SK #936
Panama City, FL

Edited by - RockB on 12/20/2019 04:16:53
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2019 :  19:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Download the owners manual for your year boat and then measure the mast. As I recall Tall is 32 feet regular 30 -- but check the manual. It will also have sail size luff/leach/foot. Many people to save money will buy used sails for "similar" sail size. What you have may be workable, but if you decide to buy a new sail you should know what you have/need.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2019 :  06:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! If that sail works on your boat, you might also have the J-27's mast. Otherwise, I think it's too big for a C-25 Tall.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/21/2019 06:53:16
Go to Top of Page

RockB
Deckhand

Members Avatar

20 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2019 :  08:15:50  Show Profile  Visit RockB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

Download the owners manual for your year boat and then measure the mast. As I recall Tall is 32 feet regular 30 -- but check the manual. It will also have sail size luff/leach/foot. Many people to save money will buy used sails for "similar" sail size. What you have may be workable, but if you decide to buy a new sail you should know what you have/need.

bigelowp,

Can you provide a link to where to get that manual?

Bill
1979 Catalina 25 SK #936
Panama City, FL
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2019 :  08:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the top left of this forum page you will see Manuals and brochures.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2019 :  09:05:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's possible that a mainsail with an overly long luff could be used without cutting it down by tucking in a reef. Thus, you could use it until you find a suitable replacement.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2019 :  15:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome RockB, I believe you will find this group willing to give you advice, perhaps too willing.
That said, it’s never dull.
Just a suggestion, many contributors list their names (optional), boat name and type, approximate location and other information in their signature. Generally helps members understand how best to help.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page