Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Aqua Signal Series 25 Bi-color Lenses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lewalskim
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/14/2019 :  16:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re-posting from my original on the 250 Forum.

Just a heads up to those out there with Aqua Signal series 25 bi-color navigation lights... I was at the Largo, Florida Catalina plant last week and saw that they had a whole box (~50) of the bi-color replacement lenses. These are in their on-premises store.

I bought one for around $3.

I don't know about shipping but you can check.

Contact info: 727-544-6681 and ask for the parts department.

I hope this can help someone...

Mark Lewalski
"Little Wind"
C250WB #206
Upper Tampa Bay

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2019 :  00:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark, that’s a great price. I have the exact light and it got crashed into twice last summer. Guys with big boats in a narrow fairway with gusty winds.
So I’ve replaced two so far. The owners paid for damages, but it sure would be nice to have a few spares.
One problem with a colored lens-type fixture is the bulb has to be incandescent. Or the color temperature of the LED bulb has to be very yellow, for example 2900K which emulates tungsten.
If you have a very blue-white light like 6500K, the red colored side shines very bright and makes 2 Nautical Miles of range, but the green lens looks extremely blue. I’ve seen many boats with a red-blue bow nav light and it takes a minute to register in your brain what it is: an oncoming boat in the dark!
Aqua signal and Dr LED sell a purpose-built red and green LED lamp to replace the old fixture. That’s a better LED solution IMHO.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 12/24/2019 :  11:29:03  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you can get Aqua Signal bi-color replacement lenses for $3, then I'd say go for it! 

Although my old Catalina 25 has separate whale eye bow lights, my slightly newer Catalina 22 came with what appeared to be an older version of Aqua Signal #25100-7 bi-color light hanging from the pulpit (surely the most damage prone location on the entire boat).
[https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B059RM]

When I rewired the Catalina 22, I replaced all the original lights with LEDs. 

For the bow light, I used a Pactrade Marine #P00151WLD bi-color navigation light:
[https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IA7PZFA]
It's about half as expensive, uses around 1/20 the power, and has no socket contacts to corrode.  With separate red and green LEDs, the two different colors are intensely monochromatic.  (Inside the light, I added a reflective divider to help separate the colors.)  Obviously intended as a direct replacement for the Aqua Signal 25, it fits the same bracket, using the same mounting holes.  I wouldn't be too surprised if the lenses are interchangeable.

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/24/2019 :  12:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those Pactrade lights look like direct knock offs.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page