Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Chesapeake Bay Cruising
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sabbatical surprise
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/01/2019 :  09:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, i am buying my first Catalina 25. Is there a cat 25 association for the Chesapeake? I'm also looking for help on motoring times between points on the bay in average conditions. I have sailed all my life on other peoples boats but this is my first.

George

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2019 :  12:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a number of us who call the Chesapeake Bay home. Tell us what you want to know and we'll try to help.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2019 :  17:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could look into sailccyc.org, who says they’re a Chesapeake Catalina owners’ group now with members with C-27s and up. We joined a similar group on Long Island Sound and had about the smallest boat, but were welcomed as if that made us “special”.

A group like that can be great for cruising events and get-togethers... For getting around on your own or with other folks, there are a number of “cruising guides” for the Chesapeake with a wealth of information on places to go and how to keep out of trouble getting there. I use an Embassy Guide for L.I.S.—lots of great information and tips, but maybe less local color than some Chesapeake books I’ve seen. I’ve been told there are enough rivers and creeks off the bay that you can gunkhole in a different one every night for the rest of your life! (At my age, that might be especially believable.)

Welcome to a great web-based sailing community!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2019 :  04:00:35  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
for motoring it should be pretty easy to estimate. get a chart and measure the distance. assume an average speed of five knots. you can download charts from https://www.charts.noaa.gov/InteractiveCatalog/nrnc.shtml for free. you can print them out and measure the distance manually, or download electronic charts an use a chart plotter program like opencpn , https://opencpn.org/, which is free and runs on laptops phones and tablets.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2019 :  10:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Navionics app for iOS and Android works great for routing. And you can plan ahead from your armchair at home.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2019 :  17:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garmin offers a free app for estimating time, speed, distance for sailing. I always say plan as much as you can but prepare for the worst. Sounds and bays often react poorly with wind opposing current in shallow conditions. Happened to me last week on my maiden voyage for 2019 where temps were in the mild high 50s, but winds built from 10s to 25 kts steady plus 40 kt gusts.
A simple 7 nautical mile trip took me 2 days to complete.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2019 :  18:21:10  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seth, RE Navionics,

Yes I am using Navionics as well and don't have a great alternative yet.

But before I shell out anymore cash I assure you I'm trying a few competitors out.

YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO SET A PERMANENT MARKER ON YOUR OWN. It made me so mad I had to google how to do it and the only way to do it is very unfriendly.

It is also difficult to get the information you need from bridges WHEN YOU NEED IT IE: you're fumbling about at sea.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2019 :  20:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HerdOfTurtles

Seth, RE Navionics,

Yes I am using Navionics as well and don't have a great alternative yet.

But before I shell out anymore cash I assure you I'm trying a few competitors out.

YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO SET A PERMANENT MARKER ON YOUR OWN. It made me so mad I had to google how to do it and the only way to do it is very unfriendly.

It is also difficult to get the information you need from bridges WHEN YOU NEED IT IE: you're fumbling about at sea.

I didn't say they were PERFECT. I said they were "great". And they are. You get much of what a really expensive chart plotter provides for about $20.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 05/02/2019 20:44:07
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page