Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Bimini while sailing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doublereefed
Navigator

Member Avatar

167 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/01/2016 :  22:57:54  Show Profile
Greetings,

I am about 8 work/maintenance hours away from launching my new/old boat for the first time. I got the rig up today, got the electrical all working etc.

PO had installed this nice bimini, but I am wonder how I can create a bimini setup that I can use under sail. I had a really nice one on my C36... it had a 75% sun shade down the middle so you could see the masthead, covered the cockpit. But I digress...

I'm sure somebody has solved the problem. I'd like it as far aft as possible to shade the helmsman, and be clear of the main sheet (the boom attachment point can be moved forward), clear of the boom swing, and clear of the winch and jib sheet activity. Referring to my shoddy drawing below, is there some way to make a rigid frame attached at the stern stanchions? (I will be adding the margarita seats this next winter.)

Thanks for any designs you can share...

Best,

-Richard

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT

Edited by - doublereefed on 06/01/2016 23:06:20

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2016 :  06:02:26  Show Profile
Hi,
this is from a past posting,
hope it helps.
Dave B.
if not repost here I well talk

From nebr.
Now that's a lot of money for a Bimini !!!
I picked up a 3 bow, 6 foot long, stock off the shelf, with some 4 foot long sliders form a catalog. Mounted the sliders on the side of the boat, facing up, redrilled the boom, so I could move the main sheet FWD about 18 inch's, and mount the Bimini between the back stays, and the mainsheet.
Now, If, like a lot of people do, you need the Bimini 10 feet in the air above the seats, or wheel, This will not work for you. if you need the Bimini over the Catbird seats, this will not work for you. But, if you can live with the Bimini over the Main part of the cockpit, and under the boom,this works VERY WELL. I sail most of the time with the bimini up. Now how hi is the Bimini over the main seating area??
Sit on your boat, put a hat on, now add another 6" over your head, will that work for you? Ya, your going to bend over when you walk in the boat, and the stock bimini will need to be cut down, "only the main mounting bar" but stop and sit down, now look in your pocket, what do you find, ALL THAT MONEY YOU SAVED!!!!!!
That's how we poor folk do it.
Dave B.
____________/)_______________/)____________/))))))______________
Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2016 :  06:26:40  Show Profile
Sorry, I meant to post this awhile ago, but been a little busy and forgot:

It is possible to mount with sufficient headroom for standing up and sitting in the perch seats, and fully behind the boom. Provides nice shade in the back half of the cockpit.

Make sure to have zippered slits for the split backstays. Back in the heyday of C250 sales, http://www.thecanvasstore.com/ was making these to spec and selling them by mail order. Maybe they could do another one, although the attachment point may assume that you have the perch seats on your boat.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 07/02/2016 06:29:42
Go to Top of Page

solvasoncc
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
46 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2016 :  08:14:51  Show Profile
We do the same, but ours is just a stock one from Academy Sports, so the color isn't quite right.

Charles

Catalina 250 WK SR Hull #475
College Station, TX
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2016 :  14:15:36  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
Here are some shots of my bimini. I did move the mainsheet forward about a foot. Easy to do. Just drill a hole in the bottom tab of the boom. The bimini is mounted reverse of 99% of the installs.

• It does not cover the catbird seats. However, I like it as is.
  • I can sit in the cat bird seats and see over the top of the bimini.
  • I can stand in the cockpit semi upright.
  • I have easy access on and off the boat between the bimini and stanchion.
  • I have easy access on and off the boat coming up the ladder.
  • I have easy access to go forward.

These photos are from my recent Door County, Wisconsin trip. The bimini was up in the entire week without any problems.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2016 :  09:40:08  Show Profile
Thanks all for these ideas and PHOTOS. Really helps me visualize what can be done. I'm thinking more along the lines of the aft bimini (aft of the boom) like Rich and Charles are showing. I think that setup will work well for us. I'll start working out the details, a good Fall project when I take the boat off the water.

Thanks!

-Richard

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page