Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 new topping lift line
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zebra50
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/03/2016 :  16:09:03  Show Profile
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to feed a new line through the boom? Tried a fish tape but it won't come out the end of the boom.

Jay
Papa's Boat II
250WB #370
Blog:http://zebra50-boilingpoint.blogspot.com

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2016 :  20:33:51  Show Profile
C250 is rigged for topping lift line to enter from masthead into aft end of boom (around a sheave), then forward and around another sheave built into gooseneck, then back to a mid-boom exit. So running the entire length of boom is necessary.

If your fish tape isn't working, the brute force method is to remove your boom and remove both end pieces. That opens up the whole boom extrusion, and you can pass the line though easily without fish tape. If you lift one end of the boom, the weight of the line itself should be able to carry the line through.

While you're at it, you should check the condition of the sheaves. If they're in bad shape, you may have difficulty finding exact replacements, but there are some nice ball bearing sheaves that work well. Info at this link:

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29763

An alternate way is to stitch the new line onto the old line basically using the old line as a messenger line to pull the new line through. That's also how you can run new halyards without dropping the mast. However, you need to get to the masthead to replace your ENTIRE topping lift - the methods described here only do the part below the detachment shackle.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 08/03/2016 20:36:36
Go to Top of Page

solvasoncc
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
46 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2016 :  07:17:25  Show Profile
Same problem here. It was dusk and blowing 30 when I dropped the mast, so I just yanked mine out of the boom to worry about it later. Well, now its later and now I am struggling figuring out how to get it back in (or if the adjustment is even necessary). For those of you who trailer, what do you do with the topping lift?

Charles

Catalina 250 WK SR Hull #475
College Station, TX
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2016 :  14:55:08  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
My topping lift does not run inside of the boom. I have a shackle at the end of the boom with a Harken Bullet Block on it. I have a bowline tied in the topping lift about 20 inches from normal boom height. The line comes down through the bullet block, back up to the bowline and then down again to the bullet where I simply tie it off. Instead of a topping lift running through the boom, I use the three internal pulleys for First reef, Second Reef and Outhaul.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

TEM58
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2016 :  18:02:01  Show Profile
Charles, I lower and raise the mast with the topping lift attached but fully eased. Then I just lash the boom to the deck.

David, that is a great idea for adding the second reef. I have found the topping lift very difficult to use as it is originally designed; yours would be much easier. On my C25 I was able to use the jib halyard that was freed up by having a CDI furler. Not an option with the internal halyards though.

Tim M
“Perfect Match II”
2003 C350 #35
Cruising FL
PO "Wine Down"
2000 C250 WK #453
PO "Perfect Match"
1983 C25 SR/SK #3932
Lake Belton
Belton, TX
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page