Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 installing/rigging adjustable backstay
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dalelargent
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/16/2016 :  21:37:39  Show Profile
Hi all,

I pulled the tarps off today and started seasonal prep. This is the year I add an adjustable backstay. Can't wait! I do a lot of down wind sailing and it seems like a great addition.

I have a split backstay that already includes the rollers/ring. I do not have a dedicated chain plate available for the new adjustable rig.

Three questions:

1) I intend to run an 8:1 attaching a line to starboard, up through a block dangling from the roller ring and down to a fiddle block. That would have a line going to a fiddle block/cleat (like my main sheet rig) attached to port. Sound good? Can I remove the back stays from their respective chainplates, add a shackle to the chainplate, and shackle each of the terminal points of the adjustable rig AS WELL AS the stays? That is my big question. Any reason not to? Will the adjustable and stay shackles "fowl" each other?

2) Any tips on adjusting the rigging? In other words, it seems I need to introduce play into the system so that when I ease the adjustable when off-wind, the back stay allows the mast to pitch forward. How much play in the backstay turnbuckles should I introduce at first (and then adjust with experience)? I will already be adding an inch or so to the stay length with the addition of a shackle on each chainplate. Is that approximately enough given the geometry? Will I likely need to loosen the aft lowers?

3) When turning upwind and wishing to return the mast to its "normal" position, how do you know how much to haul in? Especially if single-handing and you don't really want to go forward to sight the mast column? DO you figure it out one day and mark the line as a reference? Do you simply tune the adjustable based on helm?

Thanks in advance! Tomorrow is washing and waxing...

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2016 :  03:56:11  Show Profile
I think I'm following your logic...

Its going to be one or the other. Either the squeeze type with split backstay that you have now or one like the kit that Catalina Direct sells.

The 8:1 is a combination of a 4:1 fiddle block times a 2:1 for the pulley at the end up of the upper backstay. I just ordered part of the CD kit and will be putting it on this week. I'll post some pictures. If you already have the fiddle block you can save a few dollars and just order a partial kit. That's what I did.

But yes, you can add a shackle to the chainplate. I've got a shackle that goes over my stays. The shackle pin runs through the stay and the chainplate. Tight fit but it works. Doing it the way you are describing, you could order the parts from CD and reuse your 4:1 blocks cheaper than you're going to be able to put together an 8:1 that will hold any kind of tension.

As far as adjusting goes, I pull the backstay as tight as I can and then tune the rig like its not there. That allows me to let the pressure off or put tension on up to a tightly tuned rig. That's just the way I do it.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2016 :  21:40:47  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Again,

My boat has the adjustable backstay from CD. My mast is currently up so I can take some pictures when I get back if that would be useful. I do know that there are no turnbuckles involved back there. All tensioning is done by the block system. I can't help with how to properly use it or tune it yet as I haven't sailed her yet. Good luck.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2016 :  05:06:32  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
here is mine at 24:1 take out the cascade and it is 12:1

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page