Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Forestay Length?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jduck00
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/15/2016 :  07:53:10  Show Profile
I know I've seen it before, but what should the length of the forestay be? I'm installing a new one, among other things, and Want to get the length as close as possible to what its supposed to be.

And yes, I used the search function first :)

I'm also installing a new foss foam balanced rudder, and new 4 spring motor mount. I could handle the old 2 stroke with blown springs on the mount, but this 4 stroke is too heavy for comfort.

BTW, Al at foss foam is awesome to work with. The plant is about an hour and half from my place so I just drove up to pick up the rudder. You couldn't deal with better people.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850

TEM58
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2016 :  10:34:36  Show Profile
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/pictures/pc17.gif
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/530_98/forestay-standard-rigbrc-25.cfm

These may help. May want to measure your current forestay as well.

Tim M
“Perfect Match II”
2003 C350 #35
Cruising FL
PO "Wine Down"
2000 C250 WK #453
PO "Perfect Match"
1983 C25 SR/SK #3932
Lake Belton
Belton, TX
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2016 :  10:47:57  Show Profile
I love my Foss rudder. Please do take the extra time to prep it prior to applying barrier coating and paint as well as to dimension/template where the holes need to go (make sure to overdrill all the holes, fill with epoxy and redrill. This is extremely critical). I also have some advice on locating where to drill for the tiller. Shoot me a PM if you'd like to discuss further so that I can share my experiences with you.

Thanks,
Rob

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2016 :  13:53:42  Show Profile
Manuals and brochures will have the length. You could measure yours when you remove it but it is probably stretched out.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2016 :  14:15:23  Show Profile
I ordered one from CD so I'm highly confident It will be right, but still want to check it before I put the mast back up. Ideally, I would like to get the length pretty much dead on when I install it. Trying to cut down on the post install tuning. Getting the mast standing where it should would save some of the tune - sail - tune adjustments.

Rob, Al at foss foam recommended over drill and epoxy or over drill and sleeve. I've got some stainless tubing the right size so I figured I would overdrill and epoxy the sleeve in. I'll send you a PM. I'll take some free advice :) especially on the tiller holes and prep. I was eye balling that and left it at "I'll figure it out later".

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page