Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Upgrade status?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/01/2015 :  10:53:40  Show Profile
Hello all -
I've been away for a few weeks (settling in to a new job) and I wondered what happened with the planned forum migration and the ability to search and retrieve archived posts? Seems like from the user perspective not a lot is different but I assume what we see here is just the tip of the iceberg.
Whazzup wit dat?

Oh yes, while I'm asking, can anyone suggest a current web-based platform that would be "free" or economical for a volunteer organization to set up with a WYSIWYG interface where folks could follow their own or favorite forum topics, and which could provide public discussion spaces but also security to prevent non-members reading about "private" forum topics [for an AdHoc professional organization].

I realize some Facebook pages can do that and maybe some Google+, Tumblr, Wordpress or Meetup apps, but I'm skeptical that we could achieve full utilization (adoption by Luddites) or security with any of those. This forum seems ideal but I realize that several very skilled IT professionals have volunteered countless hours to make it so. This ain't drag & drop configuration by any stretch.

Wondering what folks have set up that would work.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2015 :  07:23:06  Show Profile
HI Bruce,

The forums are still running on Snitz. We got a reprieve from being unplugged and have been working on getting everything converted to a phpBB forum. We are taking our time and getting it right vs rushing through it. Don't have a date for the change over but it should be fairly seamless when we do.

Take a look at phpBB. Its a good forum platform and has a lot of security options built in. That and its easy to install. The default editor is not a WYSIWYG, but there are mods you can plug in for that.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2015 :  19:50:12  Show Profile
Jeremy
Thanks for the update. Glad we got a reprieve on the current system.
Thanks also for the lead on phpBB. I'll suggest it to my colleague.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 08/11/2015 19:51:54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page