Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Water Tank Removal
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/28/2015 :  11:34:39  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello All,

I'm pretty sure that my fresh water tank is leaking. I think it is a 14 gallon tank, blue poli under the starboard settee. Does anyone know how to get this tank out for inspection, repair or replacement without cutting up the settee ? Thanks, looking forward to your comments.

Bladeswell

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2015 :  16:02:02  Show Profile
Well for your fist question you came up with a doozy... I've often looked at the water tank and wondered if it was possible to get it out in one piece without cutting the fiberglass two top pieces that the wood hatches fit into. Hopefully someone here has gotten it out without to much destruction because I sure would like to know also. Seems to me that Catalina built the whole boat around the water tank.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2015 :  17:44:03  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Scott,
Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2015 :  18:39:08  Show Profile
I wouldn't cut up the boat... I'd cut up the tank, toss it, and install a flexible one in its place. Check out the Plastimos in WM--simpler maintenance, and less air to support evaporation of chlorine and growth of other stuff.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2015 :  18:51:53  Show Profile
I was able to pull my tank out without cutting anything. I just had to lift the wooden seat. Is your settee different from mine? I have an 87' with the traditional interior.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 07/28/2015 18:53:13
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2015 :  19:06:37  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks Dave,

Good idea if I were certain it is leaking. I will have to test to be sure. I will check WM for the bladder tanks. Seth, My C25 is neither a traditional nor a dinette. It is an "L" shaped Dining area. However, my starboard settee should be the same as everyone elses. Except that the tank will not come out thru the settee storage boards. Nor from either end. Wish it were that easy. Thanks.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2015 :  03:54:47  Show Profile
Good question, I wondered the same as well. Do you have a wooden vertical support just forward of the tank? I would surmise if you can remove that, then you could rotate/move the tank enough to pull it out. Good Luck, and take pictures.

As for replacement, one that fits in easier may reduce tankage a little, but would be easier to install. I would prefer a rigid versus bladder tank personally.

s/v No Worries, O'Day 28
PO Moe'Uhane - C25 SR/FK #1746
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2015 :  06:08:02  Show Profile
My tank also came rite out. Later i moved the bulkhead and turned the space into storage. I installed a rectangular tank in the bow and so far we really very pleased.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2015 :  06:52:35  Show Profile
My tank also came right out after taking off the wood seat support. Are there differences in the seats between years?

1989 C-25 TR/WK #5894
Miss Behavin'
Sittin' in LCYC on Canyon Lake, Texas
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2015 :  07:21:43  Show Profile
quote:
Are there differences in the seats between years?

After reading these replies I'm starting to think so. To make sure we are on the same page we are talking about the fresh water tank under the starboard settee right?

Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2015 :  07:49:22  Show Profile
Yes, but the OP has a 79. Catalina learned and fixed a lot through the years. Apparently this was one of them.

1989 C-25 TR/WK #5894
Miss Behavin'
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2015 :  08:36:29  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello again,

I have a partition immediately forward of the tank and immediately aft of it. yes, it is the fresh water tank under the starboard settee.Thanks for all of the responses and ideas.

Bladeswell
Fresh water tank

Go to Top of Page

mrapkins
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2015 :  08:45:30  Show Profile
You have to remove the wood partition to get the tank out. That's what I did. Yours is leaking so your tank should be empty. I disconnected the output hose before checking to see if the tank was empty!!!
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2015 :  10:22:31  Show Profile
Yours is different than mine was. In my 84 boat, the space under your blue bucket was the battery compartment. The water tank was more forward next to the main bulkhead. And the tank was white plastic, not blue.
Looks like you will have to remove the aft partition in order to remove the tank.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2015 :  12:33:25  Show Profile
quote:
the space under your blue bucket was the battery compartment.

There are some differences, My Battery compartment is in the area aft of the aft wood partition, I also have a white poly tank but my tank runs the full length from the aft partition up to the main bulkhead or close to it. The fitting for where the water is drawn out of the tank extends through a hole in my aft wood partition into my battery compartment. You can see in this photo how the fitting comes through the partition and the hose connected to it then to the water pump.

Go to Top of Page

tpothen
Deckhand

Members Avatar

17 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2015 :  15:20:46  Show Profile  Visit tpothen's Homepage
I don't have any pictures handy but I have a '77 C25 and it looks identical to Islanders '87, white poly tank with the outlet coming through the wood partition into the battery compartment so I don't think anyone can go by just the year of the boat. Maybe it depended on the day of the week.

"Myasis Dragon" 77' C25/SR/SK/Din.
www.svmyasisdragon.com
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2015 :  15:24:25  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
And my batteries are under the port settee. Go figure.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2015 :  11:09:28  Show Profile
My batteries are behind the ladder in a molded compartment.

My tank is half the width of the starboard settee under a wooden platform that screws into the bench. So when you take it off, there is tons of room to remove the tank. It's not the smaller panel like the other compartments.

1989 C-25 TR/WK #5894
Miss Behavin'
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2015 :  21:35:24  Show Profile
I thought my water tank was just a wee bit too big to come out but then I noticed the filler hose, the air release hose and the head sink hose were routed next to the outer side of the forward end of tank. When I pushed them all out of the way, there was just enough room to move the forward end of the tank up out of the settee. I wedged it little by little, then removed the hose clamps and freed the aft end. lo! The tank was freed! I pulled it out and opened the inspection port and was able to get a long handled brush inside to clean out the green, grey and brown gunk. I swished it out with full strength Clorox, then white vinegar, then dish soap and finally rinsed it with clear water. I took out several hoses and did the same to them, but pushed a coat hanger wire thru with a wad of bleach soaked rag on the end. After finally putting it all back together, I filled the tank with a gallon of water and bleach and pumped it thru the sink pump handles and emptied the tank. I finally put about 5 gallons of water with a cup of bleach in and I have been using the water to wash hands for awhile. So far so good. The water's stayed ok - it hasn't gotten funky yet.
Getting the tank out of my dinette style interior was tricky and took a lot of finagling but it was possible. I just got lucky I guess.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2015 :  13:31:37  Show Profile
As we are finding out, Catalina didn't use the same tanks through the years. This is good to know if and when a question about the tanks comes up again. By the way this is my tank in an 87 soooo You can see my bewilderment when others have said that it simply lifts out. Looks and is shaped totally different than the photo above.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2015 :  16:42:50  Show Profile
Scott
Your tank and my tank look similar however the settee is on Passage is constructed quite differently. No wonder you say it's "built-in".

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2015 :  06:59:23  Show Profile
quote:
the settee is on Passage is constructed quite differently.

I don't know how that could be. The settee is part of the liner and mine is the same as Bladeswells 79. As far as I can tell the settees are all the same through the model years except maybe the last 2yrs. The difference is the tank size/configurations and partitions inside the settee frame.

Edited by - islander on 08/04/2015 07:01:36
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2015 :  07:56:42  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
It looks to me as well that the settes are all the same, but that the partitions are just located differently. I was guessing my tank size at 14 gallons, but according to Catalina it is 16 gallons. Thanks again for all of your help. I believe the best bet for removal will be to remove the aft partition and reinstall it in such a way as to make it easily removed in the future. After I determine if my tank is where the water is coming from. Again, my thanks.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page