Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mainsheet Location
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/29/2015 :  15:42:04  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Everyone,

My original main sheet traveler bar is still installed on the transom. However, I also have a main sheet traveler mounted at the far forward end of the cockpit. The po told me that the forward setup is the one that has been currently,( or most currently) in use. He also informed me that he no longer had the cars and controls for the original setup. I am envisioning trying to get in or out of the cabin while under way with this setup and not liking it.
I am thinking of returning it to the original stock transom location. My question is this. Which setup is better and why ? If it were me who had done this modification I would have chosen mid cockpit sheeting rather than right up against the hatchway threshold. I have no plans on racing the boat, I'm just looking for ease and comfort of main sail handling. Thanks.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2015 :  16:55:39  Show Profile
Many C-22 owners who race have installed a barney post mid-cockpit to bring the main sheet control forward. The C-22 cockpit is about 6" longer and a bit wider than the C-25 cockpit. The C-25 cockpit is a little bit short and narrow for mid-cockpit sheeting and still moving around in the cockpit for my liking. I wonder why the PO no longer has the cars and controls for the forward setup. Typically, what would happen is that an owner not happy with the transom traveler arrangement, myself included when it is very windy, would install another traveler forward so his/her mainsheet hand is in front of the tiller hand, and keep the main sheet running through the transom traveler to be class legal. If you plan to single-hand a lot, it might be useful to complete the forward traveler set-up. This also puts you in the center or slightly forward of center in the cockpit. If you will always or most always have crew to handle the headsail sheets, you might want to use only the transom traveler to allow more room for crew movement.
When sailing to windward, you will usually have the forward traveler set to windward and the mainsheet will be out of the way of the companionway. At anchor, also move the mainsheet block to one side.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2015 :  18:05:47  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
I guess I wasn't clear enough in my post. The car and controls on hand, available, for use now, are the ones foe the forward mounted traveler. It is the transom travelers gear that is missing. Thank you for your response.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2015 :  19:34:11  Show Profile
Briefly, we installed a Harken traveler track and roller car just aft of the companionway. This is one is one of the best modifications we've made. No more getting twanged by mainsheet under the stock set-up. The sheeter no longer has to step over the tiller and duck around the mainsheet to maintain a seat in the rear of the cockpit. I feel I have better control of the mainsail and mainsail shape. As for entering and exiting the cabin while underway - it's a non issue. If I want to participate in an official race, I simply move the mainsheet aft to the stock position/hardware.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 07/29/2015 19:36:01
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2015 :  21:14:19  Show Profile
As with most mods of this sort, I suggest sailing with what you have before making changes. The stock end-boom sheeting was intrusive in the cockpit--especially when standing at the helm, and sometimes made me feel like I could be decapitated by an unexpected jibe. I considered installing a traveler at the companionway and mid-boom sheeting, and then went over to the dark side instead. However, I suspect it wouldn't have worked with my bimini, which extended over the companionway. Then again, it would allow a bimini to cover the rear of the cockpit better.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2015 :  03:49:49  Show Profile

This is how mine is rigged. I can get the sail over center and still have good access to go below. Takes some getting comfortable with as you have two main sheets.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2015 :  05:53:48  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
I agree, love the front cockpit traveler. more adjustment, no more getting hit by the sheet, and some one else can trim the mainsheet without getting in the way. It doesn't really get in the way to get in the cabin. If it did, I just drop the traveler a little bit and clear the entire cabinway.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2015 :  06:15:54  Show Profile
There are lots of alternative ways to rig the mainsheet and traveler, and, IMO, there is no best way. It depends on how you want to use the boat, and what works best for you. I always found the factory system fully functional for racing or cruising, either with crew or shorthanded. Regardless of whether the mainsheet is moved elsewhere, you still need to caution your crew and guests where to sit and where not to sit, and how to duck their heads when tacking or gybing. I agree with Dave's advice - sail it as it is for awhile, and get to understand the benefits and detriments of it before you decide to change it.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2015 :  07:32:52  Show Profile
One other consideration is that to be "class-legal" for racing, the mainsheet has to use the factory traveler on the transom. But I suspect the only time you would be challenged on that is at the C-25 National Championship Regatta, which seems to have faded into history (unless you want to host one). I doubt that a PHRF race committee would take note of a mid-boom sheeting arrangement, but one never knows...

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2015 :  09:39:49  Show Profile
You can replace the transom gear from Catalina Direct. Although I imagine it's tough accessing the void in the transom from inside.

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2015 :  10:03:41  Show Profile
I misread the original post, sorry. Since you have the original traveler bar in place, there is not much other equipment needed to make it functional to try it out. Look at the parts diagram under Manuals and Brochures. You will need a single swivel block (59mm) with becket for the end of the boom, a swivel fiddle block with cam cleat and shackle, and the traveler car (from Catalina Direct).
The most expensive item will be the fiddle block. Maybe you can find a decent used one.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 07/30/2015 10:09:06
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2015 :  10:09:12  Show Profile
On our original C22 the traveler had rotted off! I installed a mid-cockpit traveler and although it was wonderful for racing it was a pita - we were always barking our shins on it.
On the C25 (the very lamented "This Side Up" I brought the traveler control lines to mid cockpit (the set-up is in the archives somewhere) which allowed the crew to control the traveler leaving me to just sail the boat! Rather than moving the traveler, I would suggest doing this.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2015 :  11:09:49  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello again,

thank you all for your opinions and ideas. you have provided a lot to think about. Most of you seem to agree that the stock location at the transom is bothersome and could even lean toward possible injuries if circumstances allowed.
In our tech tips area I saw a coach roof setup by Harkin that I really liked. Near the top of the list,"Bon Bon". Provided that my boom is strong enough for it. I have no plans on ever using my poptop so that would not be an issue. In fact, I am considering permanently sealing it down. One less place for water to come in. What do you think ?

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2015 :  11:47:13  Show Profile
In Bon Bon's case he mounted the traveler outboard of the pop top. Nothing wrong with this except the mounts are blocking any lines and clutches you might have or plan to have running to the cockpit. I think you are thinking about possibly mounting the traveler to the pop top. I'm not an engineer but this might be risky, I don't know and I don't know if anybody has ever done that. I don't like customizing a boat to specific to ones self. Some day you may wan't to sell the boat and the potential buyer just might want the pop top, Or a working plumbing system, Or forward sinks etc. That said The pop top is a very heavily built piece.The original traveler bar mounted on the transom is just held by 2 studs with a washer and a nut and is only maybe 1/2" SS tubing. To me its certainly not overly built yet holds up to the forces. Maybe by adding many more hold down clamps on the interior of the pop top it would then be able to take the forces of the traveler without eliminating the pop top feature. As I said, I'm no engineer, Just thinking.
P.S The pop tops are very water tight, Never heard of anybody's leaking. Now those aluminum framed windows....Thats another topic.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 07/30/2015 12:09:38
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2015 :  12:03:29  Show Profile
The pop-top has proved to be an invaluable feature of the boat. Especially if you're taller than 4'-2". It never leaks either.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2015 :  12:59:51  Show Profile
I would leave it. If you don't already have a bimini, you could design a MUCH better bimini with the mainsheet out of the way. The stock location forces the bimini too far forward, leaving the rear half of the cockpit in the sun.

My fathers H28.5 has the traveler at the companionway. You get used to leaving it to one side.

1989 C-25 TR/WK #5894
Miss Behavin'
Sittin' in LCYC on Canyon Lake, Texas
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2015 :  13:08:51  Show Profile
quote:
The stock location forces the bimini too far forward, leaving the rear half of the cockpit in the sun.

True but 1/2 is better than none besides if the Bimini was farther aft, At 6'3" I would be bent over everywhere on the boat except the forward deck.

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2015 :  18:37:38  Show Profile
Yup--I looked over the bimini when standing at the helm, and under it when sitting--useful options. It also covered the compaanionway, reducing rain intrusion through the hatchboards. My pop-top never leaked--mostly because of the ridge on the deck inside the edges of the top--but I never rolled the boat 180-360 degrees (which I believe to be essentially impossible except in huge breking seas.) I would have hated to not have it. (I suspect it was no accident that a huge majority of C-25s were sold with pop-tops.) Again, I recommend using the boat before substantially changing it.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/30/2015 18:50:08
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2015 :  11:58:02  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Everyone seems in agreement that the pop top never leaks. If that is the case then I see no good reason to permanently seal it. Evan should I decide never to use it, at least it will remain usable for the possible future owner. Thanks again everyone.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2015 :  06:04:25  Show Profile
quote:
Everyone seems in agreement that the pop top never leaks.

What does leak is the crib boards, Usually in the upper corners just under the sliding hatch. You get a puddle on the floor by the companionway steps. Also if I wash the boat I keep clear of shooting a direct spray at the sliding hatch. By the way Catalina only made the 'L' shaped interior that you have for the first few years then dropped it. IMO I always thought that it was the nicest.

Edited by - islander on 08/05/2015 06:08:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page