Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 non sailing- A great world figure is dying
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/01/2005 :  22:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
Regardless of who ever or what ever you hold sacred please say a prayer of thanks for the world having had such a great man. Thank you.

Edited by - on

Charlie Vick
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
423 Posts

Response Posted - 04/02/2005 :  00:21:41  Show Profile
Frank, I'm not really a religious person, though I was raised in a Catholic school being an Episcopalian, I still have great respect for the Pope and what he stands for and am sorry for his passing.
Though it may not affect our lives directly, the world will be a lesser place without him.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Gloss
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1916 Posts

Response Posted - 04/02/2005 :  10:23:47  Show Profile
As a former Catholic (my knuckles are still sore from being whacked by the nuns), and of polish descent I respect what the Pope did to help free eastern Europe from the grips of Communism the most.

I hope there are some good hiking trails in heaven for him to enjoy, that's what he did when young.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

lcharlot
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Antigua and Barbuda
1301 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2005 :  08:18:33  Show Profile
With the passing of this Pope, we also lose another eyewitness to the horrors of WWII in Europe. America's WWII vets are passing at the rate of about 7000 per week this year. Soon, there will be none left. As Tom Brokaw wrote, they were "The Greatest Generation".

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Brooke Willson
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
983 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2005 :  21:14:46  Show Profile
With all due respect to my father and his generation of veterans, it's hard for me to single out one "Greatest Generation:" the Founding Fathers and their peers were pretty great; Lincoln, Lee, and the generation that died in the Civil War were amazing; those who died in a war of far more questionable virtue in SE Asia were brave and heroic; my children and their friends are idealistic and committed and trying to build a better world than the one their selfish and greedy parents are leaving them. I believe the greatest generation, and our greatest days, are yet to come.

That being said, John Paul was a remarkable, courageous man. I especially admire his great passion for youth. I agree with his politics more than his ecclesiology; his successor will have to deal with how to distinguish between that which is truly essential and enduring and that which is not. Since John Paul and I share vocations, I have great sympathy for the difficulty, the loneliness, and the glory of his work. Rest in a well deserved peace, servant of God: may eternal light shine upon you.

Brooke

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

cathluk
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
513 Posts

Response Posted - 04/05/2005 :  20:56:33  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Rest in a well deserved peace, servant of God: may eternal light shine upon you.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Amen.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page