Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 What wind speeds to change head sail
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Treads
Deckhand

Member Avatar

1 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/27/2017 :  21:30:33  Show Profile
Just wondering what wind speed do others change head sails. The reason I ask is I change from my Hank-on 155% Genoa to the 110% when I cannot hold 22 degrees or less heel as read on here. I am still new to the boat and I have a race tomorrow with forecast winds @ 10mph on the lake and would like to start with the correct sail rather than panic to change before or during. I have a tall mast, fin keel and would like to hear from others.

Neil

Bill Holcomb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
769 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2017 :  10:25:15  Show Profile
Hi Neil,
Full Mainsail and 155 should be fine for breezes to 10 kts... depending on the condition of your sails. If the sails are old and stretched, you won't be able to flatten them as the breeze increases. So, excessive heeling. You won't be able to point with others with newer sails either.
Bill Holcomb - C25 Snickerdoodle #4839
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2017 :  13:22:26  Show Profile
When you're cruising, the objective is to get to your destination safely, without damaging the boat, in comfort and quickly.

When you're racing, the objective is to get from start to finish safely and in the least amount of time. Comfort is of little concern, and you understand and accept the possibility that you might break equipment when you press the boat hard.

Most races have, at a minimum, a windward leg and a downwind leg. If you're racing with white sails, then on the windward leg, there is a premium on carrying the most sail area the boat can carry efficiently, without being overpowered. On the downwind leg, the goal is to carry as much sail area as possible.

Let's suppose you correctly conclude that you can sail the windward leg a bit faster by flying your #2 jib instead of your #1. Suppose that, halfway to the windward mark, the wind goes light. You're stuck with a small jib while all your competitors are flying their #1. The'll beat you to the windward mark.

Now, suppose, that all your opponents flew their #1 jib, the windspeed held up, and so you beat them with your #2 jib around the windward mark. When you sail the downwind leg, they'll be carrying more sail area than you, and they'll all pass you on the downwind leg. You'll lose the race.

My point is that the winner is not the person who sails the windward leg the best. The winner must sail both legs better, on average, than all the competitors. So, in any given race, you might decide to fly the #1, even though it might overpower the boat a bit on the windward leg, because the #1 will help you more on the downwind leg. In that case, you'll need to use sail trimming techniques to depower the big jib on the windward leg, and then, when you round the windward mark, power it up.

Choosing your sail configuration before a race is a judgment call. If you're right, you'll be competitive. If not, maybe you'll do better next time.

Sometimes it takes a long time to learn what a boat likes.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page