Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Either this isn't normal or C25's aren't for me
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LakeFall
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/27/2017 :  19:06:14  Show Profile
I was excited about getting this boat today but I saw this and got spooked. Is my tolerance for deck/core issues too low with these boats?

https://imgur.com/a/Rxj4G

Edited by - LakeFall on 10/28/2017 04:48:59

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2017 :  21:40:40  Show Profile
I'm getting invalid certificate errors viewing your photos.
Perhaps "chickencam" is not the best host.
Please re-post your photos on another server, hosted in the USA, or we will remove your links.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2017 :  05:00:17  Show Profile
I suggest people not click on those links. When I did, my software warned me that the website presented a risk to my passwords. I did a google search for "chickencam synology me" and it seems to be unknown online, but a search for"synology" took me to a company that makes computer devices that "can store surveillance video from IP cameras on your network." The company claims they're used by large chicken ranchers to monitor their chickens, thus, "chickencam." I can only speculate that, by clicking on those links, someone might be able to take pictures of you and your family. That leads me to wonder why LakeFall, a newcomer here, would post links to such a website.

LakeFall should furnish a web address to a website that explains the function of "chickencam synology me".

[Edit: The links in question have been deleted, but an explanation of them would still be in order.]

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 10/28/2017 05:05:24
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2017 :  05:05:25  Show Profile
Because of the shadow it is hard to tell what is going on in the photo. I have been on several Catalina 25's and not seen this before. My guess would be that sometime in the past something was spilled/dropped on the deck. All boats are subject to damage from water intrusion if not properly maintained. Mine developed a leak under the mast step and I was lucky to find it before there was much damage. For the most part I have learned that Catalina 25's are very good boats.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

LakeFall
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2017 :  05:39:56  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

I suggest people not click on those links. When I did, my software warned me that the website presented a risk to my passwords. I did a google search for "chickencam synology me" and it seems to be unknown online, but a search for"synology" took me to a company that makes computer devices that "can store surveillance video from IP cameras on your network." The company claims they're used by large chicken ranchers to monitor their chickens, thus, "chickencam." I can only speculate that, by clicking on those links, someone might be able to take pictures of you and your family. That leads me to wonder why LakeFall, a newcomer here, would post links to such a website.

LakeFall should furnish a web address to a website that explains the function of "chickencam synology me".

[Edit: The links in question have been deleted, but an explanation of them would still be in order.]

It was on my home server. I thought the link would work but it didnt. Posted to imgur instead. Nothing malicious here I assure you
Go to Top of Page

LakeFall
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2017 :  06:12:08  Show Profile
https://imgur.com/vwp4HGz
It looks as though the years of UV have degraded the fiberglas and it became brittle. I also saw this in the cockpit as well. In fact the aft starboard corner of the cockpit was a little soft. I looked at this like rust on a car- it never gets better.
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2017 :  06:25:04  Show Profile
C25's are solid boats. I would pass on this one and look for another. There are many for sale at any given time (just check Craigslist, Yachtworld, and our swap forum) and most are in good, solid condition at reasonable prices. Best to get a professional survey if in doubt or the cost is on the higher side.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

LakeFall
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2017 :  06:56:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

C25's are solid boats. I would pass on this one and look for another. There are many for sale at any given time (just check Craigslist, Yachtworld, and our swap forum) and most are in good, solid condition at reasonable prices. Best to get a professional survey if in doubt or the cost is on the higher side.

Thanks for advice. Just wanted to make sure my expectations are realistic for an old boat. Wish I could find one as nice as the owners. Both boats I've looked at are owned by stand up guys.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2017 :  11:42:30  Show Profile
Am I right that we're looking at an area on the cabin-top forward of a hand-rail (upper left) and by a deck organizer block? Blowing up that one spot in the light, it looks like the remains of some glass mat that was covering woven roving that appears to be visible there. That particular spot looks like the non-skid gelcoat and some of the mat was chipped away--the smaller, oval spots are more mysterious (and less visible). It appears something hard was abusing that area, like a shackle on a jib sheet, a whisker pole, or something.

The cabin top is cored with plywood, and damage like that could potentially allow moisture to migrate into it, although it would have to get through several layers of roving and resin. The cockpit sole is probably more worrisome. I'd keep looking, and I always recommend a professional survey--it can be the best few hundred $$ you spend on a boat--even (or especially) if you end up not buying it due to the survey. The purchase and price can be contingent on it--like a house--and you can attend and ask questions.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/28/2017 11:45:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page