Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Hurricane prep
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

stang9150
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/07/2017 :  12:31:32  Show Profile
In Jacksonville Florida and will be prepping again for this storm. My question is, should I remove the rudder or leave it on? I already stripped the main and motor off the boat,the lines are all where I think they need to be for surge like last year.

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2017 :  13:00:08  Show Profile
Well When I prepared my boat for Sandy I assumed that the boat was going to be trashed so I removed everything that I thought I could sell after. I'd say yes, Why not.Take many photos of the boat all prepped to show the insurance that you did everything you could in preparation. Good luck.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 09/07/2017 13:06:40
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2017 :  13:03:35  Show Profile
Yeah that was pretty much what I was thinking. During Matthew last year surge was about 6 feet and maybe 60mph winds. I feel this maybe a lot more in the wind department.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2017 :  14:06:04  Show Profile
If you have roller furling, remove that sail too. Irma is forecast to be a Cat3+ (130+) going by Jacksonville (or through it)--you want to minimize your windage, and that kind of wind can get into a tight wrap and shred the sail. Take off the boom, too--mine stored easily in the cabin.

Double up your dock lines, with the secondaries just slightly looser than the primaries. (Twisted Nylon is preferable to braided Dacron--it absorbs more shock.) Tape all seams in your companionway hatch, and make sure all other hatches are pinned or locked so they can't be popped open. Spiral-wrap your halyards around the mast make sure there's some tension on them.

If you have a sailboat in a slip next to you, try to position yours so if both are rocking, the masts won't clash and and the shrouds won't get caught. Sometimes that means turning yours around in the slip.

Good luck! Looks like you'll need some...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/07/2017 14:09:18
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2017 :  14:58:47  Show Profile
Yeah with the way the track is shifting to the west things are looking worse than before. Good tips on taping the seams ,did not think of that one. No roller furling so good there. I will look into taking off the boom. Both the boats next to me one is backed in one is bow in so not so good there. Both of these boats have owners I have not seen in months :(
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2017 :  16:07:30  Show Profile
Much also depends on how well the marina is built and the direction of the wind. If all the boats face the wind like mine did in Sandy it takes a lot of the pressure off the docks. Then there is the storm surge lifting the docks off their poles or pulling out anchors. Once that happens it just a domino effect with boats still tied to the fingers slamming into others thenThey give way and so on.

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2017 :  20:32:45  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello all,

Just wishing everyone out there on the east coast the best of luck. I'm sure the rest of us are praying for you and your boats. Do your best but be safe.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2017 :  20:55:11  Show Profile
Many peoples' boat insurance will pay for a haul, at least part of the cost. But, if your yacht yard is only a few feet above sea level, it's likely that the yacht yard would get flooded in any storm surge.

Others think that a hurricane hole is a safe refuge. But think about 150 kt winds - an F1 tornado blows with the same force. How would any ground tackle deal with that?!?!

Some people tie off to trees in a hurricane hole. It's possible the trees will survive...

This storm will be worse than anything we've yet seen.

And I was in Homestead two months after Hurricane Andrew. There were only foundations left, no houses.

If you can get out, GO. Your boat will have to fend for itself.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2017 :  21:45:34  Show Profile
Going to do what I can in the next few days then she is on her own. It looks like the wind will start coming from the east which will put it right on the bow. Then it will clock around. The marina is in a bay protected on three sides by land. See what happens this track is moving side to side like windshield wipers.
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2017 :  04:34:23  Show Profile
Good luck to you Sir. I hope you make it out safe and with minimal damage.

quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Others think that a hurricane hole is a safe refuge. But think about 150 kt winds - an F1 tornado blows with the same force. How would any ground tackle deal with that?!?!

Here is Tortola's (BVIs) hurricane hole "Paraquita Bay" before and after Irma...

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053

Edited by - DavidBuoy on 09/08/2017 04:35:41
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2017 :  06:10:27  Show Profile
What was holding them in place in the "before" shot?? That looks like a recipe for disaster!

Here's one of several preparation articles.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/08/2017 06:12:30
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2017 :  06:13:58  Show Profile
One thing about removing the boom: I did it with the sail and cover still on--easy-peasy! If you have the sliding gooseneck, you just lift it out of the slot. If fixed, you just remove a clevis pin. (...after disconnecting the mainsheet and vang.)

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/08/2017 06:19:57
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2017 :  06:24:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by stang9150

...Both the boats next to me one is backed in one is bow in so not so good there. Both of these boats have owners I have not seen in months :(
Can you adjust your fore/aft position so your mast isn't right next to the other one?

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2017 :  08:41:55  Show Profile
What's with that Marina, They only allow blue boats all the same? Weird.

Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2017 :  10:24:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

What's with that Marina, They only allow blue boats all the same? Weird.

That's the majority of the British Virgin Islands charter fleet - Moorings, Sunsail, etc. Hopefully you don't have a trip planned.

That is Paraquita Bay, a well known safe haven for big storms and if that is the most protected harbor, then you can image the power of Irma.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053

Edited by - DavidBuoy on 09/11/2017 04:35:27
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2017 :  12:29:27  Show Profile
Powerful, no doubt. But those boats appear to have been held rub-rail to rub-rail by some fore-and-aft moorings--no docks and pilings, or even moorings where they could swing with the wind direction. Not too surprising for some large charter fleets--i.e. not for customer access. Looks like a game of dominoes as played by 2-year-olds.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/08/2017 12:30:41
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2017 :  13:32:02  Show Profile
Moved my two boats to larger slips and spider-webbed them last night, final check in daylight this morning, added a couple lines, and anti-chaffing leather on a couple of lines. Mostly finished at the house, we're going to stay and hunker down. This western trend is helping us FL east coast folks out, but at the expense of my buddies on FL's west coast. Hope all stay safe. We have (or had) a charter through TMM in Tortola scheduled for mid-October, from the pics I'm seeing, I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen (and glad we paid for the trip Insurance).

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2017 :  15:54:07  Show Profile
Check and double check your standing rigging. One of my previous boats went through a category 2 hurricane on a mooring. When I went out after to check her out, to my surprise two of the turnbuckles had snapped the rings (vs cotter pins) and the only thing holding the mast in place was force of habit!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2017 :  21:02:49  Show Profile
Capt Rob, Any way to post a smaller image? Looks like it's 4000 x 2000, so it's making all the comments look like the fine print!

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 09/08/2017 21:43:15
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/09/2017 :  14:13:03  Show Profile
And periodically people on the coats wonder why they should have a trailer... do you understand now?

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 09/09/2017 :  15:58:33  Show Profile
Honestly from what I've seen hitting the highway is a nightmare that you might regret. Also towing a boat and getting lousy gas mileage could really compound your problem with no gas available and if it is then your faced with massive lines and rationing. Hellava choice. Before Sandy it was panic shortage of gas with everyone trying to fill up at once then after none was available due to no electricity to run the pumps. Everyone was on the hunt for gas for weeks and it got ugly. If you did find a station that had power they couldn't get a truck delivery because the supply terminals were damaged,Flooded and without power.

Edited by - islander on 09/09/2017 16:13:53
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 09/10/2017 :  05:36:57  Show Profile
Mouth of Tampa Bay........

We stripped everything of value off the boat. All sails, electronics, dinghy, almost everything that could come off.

The marina hauled, blocked and strapped down the boat on Thursday.

The marina put as many boats on the hard as they could, probably about 60 yachts, all strapped down. If everything survives the wind, will be watching the storm surge. The boats are only about 7-8' above sea level.

Sitting in South Carolina, probably won't be able to get back until Wednesday or Thursday.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 09/10/2017 :  09:08:56  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by stang9150

In Jacksonville Florida and will be prepping again for this storm. My question is, should I remove the rudder or leave it on? I already stripped the main and motor off the boat,the lines are all where I think they need to be for surge like last year.

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 09/10/2017 :  09:17:09  Show Profile
I pulled Enchantment II on my trailer and stripped the boat of all moving parts. Lowered mast, removed rudder, and placed jack stands, under trailer on pieces of 2x8. It was a days work, but I feel comfortable with the preparation. Orlando, FL

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 09/10/2017 :  10:42:49  Show Profile
Wow, this morning as the storm first made landfall in South Florida, the winds were blowing offshore of the West Coast/Gulf Coast.
So most of the bays and the beaches experienced one of the lowest low tides they've seen in a long time. Kinda like th prep before
a tidal wave...
So, once the eye passes north of each of the towns: Naples, Ft Myers, Tampa, the wind will back around and will flood the same areas.
Boats that are tied down here are likely to float - because that's what boats do - so strapping down your boat may not be as good as throwing out an anchor.
It's a crap shoot no matter what...

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/10/2017 :  11:02:44  Show Profile
Before Ike my boat was at a marina with old fixed docks located in Clear Lake off of Galveston Bay. Not trusting those old docks I moved my boat up the lake to a
marina with floating docks and high berms around all sides except for a 150' wide opening to get in and out of the marina. I was able to get a 14' X 40' slip and
I tied the boat up in the middle of the slip with fenders on all sides. This big slip also gave me plenty of room for the mast to swing side to side. I removed the rudder and
the boom and anything of value from the boat thinking I could at least recoup some of my money if the boat sank. I tightened down the rigging so there was no
chance of the mast pumping. Taped up all the hatches and any other openings where water might get in.

The only issue I had was the rear starboard lower shroud backed out of the turnbuckle and was swinging in the wind. No damage whatsoever despite a 12' storm surge!

Only one boat out of the 800 or so in the marina sank or had damage and that was because an old exhaust hose let go. They said the boat was about to sink before the
storm due to neglect.

At my home marina things were quite different. The fixed docks were all waded up and destroyed. Boats were either on the bottom or were sitting on pilings with holes
thru the bottom. I never saw the boat that had been next to mine before the storm on the starboard side. Assume it blew away in the storm. The boat that had been across
from me was driven through the dock and was sitting on the bottom in the vacant slip next to mine. The C30 next to me ended up in my slip and was the only boat
on the entire dock that didn't sink. All the other boats were destroyed.

Many of the bigger boats had pulled the pilings out of the bottom (they were buried a minimum of 10' into the bottom) and were piled up onshore in the marina.

Most of the boats that had been pulled and were sitting on stands on concrete in the marina yard had either blown over or floated off the stands and were heavily damaged.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 09/10/2017 11:06:49
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page