Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Anyone Use a Spinnaker Sock?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/31/2017 :  11:47:10  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
I'm trying to rig my spinnaker sock and have a couple questions:

1. What length should the main sock control line be? (I know the small lines inside the sock need to be the length of the sock)

2. Where do you keep the control line for the sock when it's flying? I was thinking of tying it to the spinnaker pole ring.

3. How do you gibe? Seems like the control line would go to the lee side after a gibe and you'd have to grab it with a boat hook or something... ?

Thanks!

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2017 :  10:10:17  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
Well I'm trying it out tonight for the first time. Here's the plan:

1. I chose 35' control line for a 31' luff asym.

2. Plan on tying the control line to the spin pole ring.

3. Plan on doing inside jibes to keep the control line on the same side of the sock. Douse, jibe, un-douse.

Will let y'all know how it goes.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2017 :  11:52:48  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
My boat came with an asym with a sock. Ive used it a few times. i ran the control lines through a double block at a stanchion base back to the cockpit. I bought a symmetrical spin without a sock on ebay and saw that the sock on a boat of this size is a waste of time. the spinnaker is really not that large, and the control lines just add complexity.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2017 :  12:09:58  Show Profile
I love having a sock for my assym. I can have it laid out and rigged and when the time is right, pop it up there and enjoy.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2017 :  12:13:58  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:

3. How do you gibe? Seems like the control line would go to the lee side after a gibe and you'd have to grab it with a boat hook or something... ?

Thanks!

on mine the control line was inside both the sheets. i just let the sail fly forwards and sheeted it in on the other side.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2017 :  12:31:53  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
David, how do you handle jibes? Walk the sock and control line around the forestay? Or do inside jibes?

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2017 :  09:04:28  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
Here's how it went:

1. 35' of control line worked out to be just about right.

2. Wrapping the control line around one of the halyard cleats on the mast worked out better than trying to tie it to the spinnaker pole ring.

3. Inside jibe works great by dousing, jibing, deploying. Just make sure the jib halyard is brought back and clipped onto the spinnaker pole ring.

Note on Dousing: If the wind is strong, it will be difficult to pull the sock down without luffing the sail a bit.

The spinnaker is a cruising asym with 31' luff. I tacked it 18" above the stem fitting. The tack of the spinnaker hanked onto the forestay and I ran the tack line to a bow cleat.

With just the spinnaker flying, we were able to make about 5.5 kts in 9 kts of wind up to about 110 deg TWA.

Because I wanted to leave the genoa hanked on to the forestay and because I was doing an inside jibe, I had to tack the spinnaker to the forestay above all the genoa hanks. If I did an outside jibe (need to install the spinnaker crane) I could tack the spinnaker about a foot lower and probably point up to 100 TWA.

What didn't go so well: I used vectran for the first time. I used it to attach the spin blocks to the stern cleats, to attach the spinnaker head to the becket on the sock control line block, and to attach the clew to the spin sheets. I tied a bowline in the vectran to make these attachments. One at a time, each of these tie points either broke or the knot slipped. I'm guessing the knot slipped. I re-tied each of the points as they broke by doubling up the vectran and using a square knot, they never let loose again. Need to research proper knots for vectran, best and most effective ways of whipping it, and probably need to make some soft shackles out of it.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page