Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Pop Top
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

d3klewis
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/19/2017 :  14:08:05  Show Profile
I have never had a boat with a "pop top". I have opened the one on our "new" C25 and it has made quite a racket and hit my head. My question would be," How do they stay Up?"

Doug L.
C25 #5751 SR SK

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2017 :  14:16:17  Show Profile
It pivots forward as you lift until the supports pass vertical and lowers against the mast. There is a bracket that slides in the mast slot to lock it in place. Some owners pass a line around the supports and mast for additional security. Do not sail with it up except in a virtual calm with flat water - essentially, don't sail with it up.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

VictorS
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Mexico
32 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2017 :  08:02:27  Show Profile
I missed the "pop top" on the C22, and now that I upgraded to a C25 it does not feature one, has anyone built it? thoughts about the idea? Thanks,

Victor Salcedo
1978 C25. #453. FK. SR. L.
CTYK0453M78C
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2017 :  09:04:47  Show Profile
If you are coastal sailing, you do not want to consider converting to a pop-top. It would be expensive, too, lots of cabin-top cutting involved. I'm 5'7" tall, and we only raised our pop-top once in the 5 years we owned Recess.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2017 :  09:15:53  Show Profile
Victor the pop top sounds like a great idea but unless you plan on doing a lot of camping with the boat you really don't use it. I haven't had mine up in over 5 years.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2017 :  10:08:50  Show Profile
I use mine very frequently, however would never consider converting a boat to have one. Just buy a boat with it in the first place.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2017 :  10:32:03  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
I've owned my boat less than six months, have used the pop top many times, haven't been camping once, and consider it almost essential.

Grilling at the slip.
Doing maintenance.
Light air sailing.
At other docks I pull up to.
At anchor, going for a swim.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2017 :  11:30:22  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Again,

My boat has a pop top and while I find it great for more head room and an increase in ventilation, I would never consider sailing with it up. However, you can see plenty of others doing so on youtube. Oh well. Here is a link to the pop top mast lock available from CD. Good sailing.
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/318_925/pop-top-mast-lock-assembly.cfm

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

d3klewis
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2017 :  12:01:33  Show Profile
I didn't have the mast up. That would explain why it just went down toward the front.

Doug L.
C25 #5751 SR SK
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2017 :  13:47:31  Show Profile
It also explains the racket. Did it do damage to the struts?

Edited by - islander on 07/20/2017 14:46:34
Go to Top of Page

VictorS
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Mexico
32 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2017 :  16:56:42  Show Profile
Thankyou all for your comments and advice about the pop top conversion, based on them I will put many sailing hours on my shoulders before thinking about it once again; it helps that interior height is not a problem for the wife. Thanks.

Victor Salcedo
1978 C25. #453. FK. SR. L.
CTYK0453M78C
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2017 :  18:31:45  Show Profile
Also, the conversion could be tricky... The factory model has a ridge molded into the cabin top around the pop-top opening, such that a lip around the edge of the pop-top goes down over the ridge, making it (theoretically) weather-proof and "green-water" resistant. I can report that it does resist green-water--I've had it come all the way over the cabin top into the cockpit.

Because the factory pop-top has inner and outer fiberglass moldings with a plywood core and the sliding companionway hatch, it's quite heavy. (The buyer of my boat hurt his back lifting it.) For that reason, CD offers a gas strut system to assist with maybe half the weight, and probably reduce some of the danger of an unexpected fall (which is why most folks here caution not to sail with it up). It is a hunk!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2017 :  18:42:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

Some owners pass a line around the supports and mast for additional security.

I'd like to emphasize this recommendation. The hut on the mast that you tighten by hand to secure the top against the mast tends to vibrate loose. I can't believe I didn't break my neck the day I was standing under the pop-top when it fell on my head.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2017 :  21:10:25  Show Profile
I like the pop top and I use it once or twice a season. It's nice to have. I would prefer, however, that the pop top was much better secured than two itty bitty dogs holding it down. I'd prefer something that would hold up in case of a capsize or a surprise squall.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

AUAE
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2017 :  22:52:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

I would prefer, however, that the pop top was much better secured than two itty bitty dogs holding it down.

My 1990 has 4 dogs. Was the earlier standard just 2 dogs?

That might answer a question for me. I had noticed that Catalina Direct says their gas strut assist mod is only compatible with 1988 and prior years. If it's just the two additional dogs that interfere with the pistons, I bet the dogs could be relocated. Is there a weight difference between the earlier and later pop-tops?

Kav Eldredge
1990 TR/WK #6001 "Ocean Liner"
Birmingham, AL

Edited by - AUAE on 07/20/2017 22:53:06
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2017 :  09:18:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AUAE

...Catalina Direct says their gas strut assist mod is only compatible with 1988 and prior years. If it's just the two additional dogs that interfere with the pistons, I bet the dogs could be relocated. Is there a weight difference between the earlier and later pop-tops?
Two questions CD could probably answer. There are maybe a couple of people here who've had both a pre-89 and a post-88.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2017 :  12:45:54  Show Profile
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

I would prefer, however, that the pop top was much better secured than two itty bitty dogs holding it down.

My 1990 has 4 dogs. Was the earlier standard just 2 dogs?

1987 #5541 has three dogs.

Seth
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2017 :  12:52:43  Show Profile
2 dogs or 4 Hmm. My 87 has 2. CD recommends to add 2 more towards the front if having 2 bothers you. I guess Catalina put 4 on in the final years? If I was crossing an ocean I would add 2 more but my top hasn't ever accidentally opened in the past 30yrs and like a keel falling off I've never heard of it happening to anybody else so I think I'll leave it with 2.
Seth, That's funny that yours has 3 and mine has 2 since mine was built after yours. Another mystery!

Edited by - islander on 07/21/2017 13:16:25
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2017 :  14:21:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Seth, That's funny that yours has 3 and mine has 2 since mine was built after yours. Another mystery!

Maybe the PO added the third, but all three are exactly the same. There's one on each side and one centered on the forward side.

Seth
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2017 :  17:00:31  Show Profile
Is the one that is centered on the forward edge a scalp scraper?

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2017 :  10:21:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Is the one that is centered on the forward edge a scalp scraper?
That would be the track for the folding door to the head.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2017 :  13:04:23  Show Profile
I have to apologise, I do have 3. Goes to show you how many times I open the top.

Go to Top of Page

MattL
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2017 :  14:58:04  Show Profile
I like my poptop for camper sailing. I have the tent cover too, great addition. Last year we went on an 8 day trip, staying in CA Delta marinas. 6 at night, 7 sailing during day.

Matt/Brigitte Loeffler
E.C. Rider 5411
Cat 25 86'
FK/SR _/)
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2017 :  07:49:29  Show Profile
At 6'4" I can't live without the pop-top. In mild conditions I always sail with it up! When the wind picks up, I immediately drop it. I find it not very heavy, since I am strong as an ox.

For safety considerations, since there are so many factors in all the situations one finds oneself, the use of the pop-top while under sail or motoring is merely a small part of the whole. If you think the C25 pop-top is a tedious inconvenience that requires inordinate strength to raise, secure, or lower, then I recommend never bothering with it. I added a wing nut over the circular nut that secures the pop-top slider, and it always stays in place.

In my opinion, knowing the weather forecast, observing the changing weather patterns, knowing the sailing venue, knowing the status of all your boat's equipment, wearing PFDs, knowing the traffic patterns on the water, knowing your own and your crew's limitations in handling the boat, and calculating the associated risks with all these factors makes your sailing adventure as safe as it can be!

For example, my friend and I sailed back on a beam reach and a broad reach from Block Island in pleasant 5' swells and 5-7 kt breezes to the Narragansett Bay in his 1980 C25 the week before last. We had the pop-top up. We were aware of all those factors and had a very nice time. With a new inflatable dinghy in tow we were safer than without it. I think the main risks we ran were encountering a 10' rogue wave on top of those swells, or perhaps a nuclear submarine surfacing underneath our boat. In such cases we were prepared to step up into the dinghy.

There are so many pleasures in sailing, like good company and the sights and sounds and smells on the water, and having sufficient headroom to move about the cabin safely is certainly one of them in my experience. I would like to have a big boat with lots of space, but the C25 with a pop-top fits my needs perfectly for the moment.

I do not recommend anyone else sailing with the pop-top up, however.

Fair winds and smooth sailing!

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2017 :  11:29:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by d3klewis

I didn't have the mast up. That would explain why it just went down toward the front.

ya think

Sometimes we should read the manual.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2017 :  11:31:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:

...Catalina Direct says their gas strut assist mod is only compatible with 1988 and prior years. If it's just the two additional dogs that interfere with the pistons, I bet the dogs could be relocated. Is there a weight difference between the earlier and later pop-tops?
Two questions CD could probably answer. There are maybe a couple of people here who've had both a pre-89 and a post-88.

The support legs on the 89 and 90 are shorter than the early models, the lift kit will not work on them, been there tried that.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page