Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cleaning a Pop-top
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/07/2017 :  17:32:04  Show Profile
I just received a Pop-top for my '82-SK TR. It is in good shape. However it has a few small stains from snaps. I am not sure what the material is for the top. It appears like canvas with a vinyl coating. The windows also need cleaning, some rust colored stains. The snaps and zippers are in good shape. I believe it was stored for a long time. Any suggestions on cleaning the fabric and plastic windows?

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2017 :  09:28:06  Show Profile
I have never had much luck removing rust stains from gelcoat, and generally recommend ignoring them. They'll fade in a year or two. The rust stains on your vinyl coated cover are probably equally resistant to removal.

A treatment that is often recommended for rust stain removal is to apply citric acid to it. You might try cutting a lemon in half and rubbing it on a stain, to see if it helps. It might lighten it. It probably wouldn't hurt the vinyl fabric, but I don't know about the vinyl windows.

I don't usually put anything on any type of plastic window other than water, and I wipe it gently with a sponge. In a bad case, I might use a gentle dish soap. I would never clean plastic windows with anything that contains ammonia.

Sadly, my best suggestion for dealing with rust stains on vinyl is try gentle cleaning. Hope you can lighten them. Then ignore them.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2017 :  09:43:40  Show Profile
WM has a variety of vinyl cleaners and vinyl window cleaners--some of which say they leave a "protective coating" that might immortalize your rust stains if you don't fade them out in advance. I haven't tried them, but probably should--I have some slightly foggy vinyl windows on my side-curtains.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/08/2017 09:44:53
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2017 :  10:19:13  Show Profile
Yep, You could go to an auto parts store and get plastic window Cleaner/Polish for half what WM wants.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2017 :  13:12:47  Show Profile
wipe with distilled vinegar and water solution 50/50 mixture. will clean everything except rust and prevent mildew and mold after drying and folding.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2017 :  14:11:34  Show Profile
Thank you all. I tried WM earlier today, they wanted $25.00 for an all purpose cleaner?

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2017 :  08:25:11  Show Profile
Ya, you don't need "marine quality"--you just need something that's meant for vinyl, like car seats... Some UV protection is probably not a bad idea, although you might not be exposing it to that much sun.

I can get WM to match Defender's prices (about 40% lower), but that's because Defender is just 15 minutes away.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page