Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Hull 922 - Nicro Day/Night Solar Vent - Where?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carl in LA
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/27/2017 :  17:26:21  Show Profile
Hi All... New topic for Hull 922...

I'm adding a Nicro Day/Night Solar Vent...

Is there a consensus on where to install?

Thinking either just behind the mast in the flat part of the mast step...

Just in front of the mast on the mast step flat part...

Or on the forward hatch (not flat - curved surface)

Thoughts?

Carl

Catalina 250 - Pretty Good Boat

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2017 :  18:26:32  Show Profile
on the forward hatch.
that's were most are located.
DB.
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2017 :  22:05:13  Show Profile
Is your hatch fiberglass or acrylic?

If the former, it's a good spot. If acrylic, you might regret the lost view. And acrylic can be difficult to cut without causing cracks that could result in leaks.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2017 :  06:22:50  Show Profile
I suggest you do a search on the reliability of the Nic. Vents. Many have had problems with them and others not. Try the search function here and other forums.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2017 :  06:28:24  Show Profile
Rick... the forward hatch is fiberglass apparently of the nice quality of the remainder of the boat. The hatch is a curved surface complicating mounting.

Also... with limited deck space on the 250 walking/standing on that hatch is pretty valuable - so giving it up to the solar vent is being considered with caution.

quote:
Originally posted by TakeFive

Is your hatch fiberglass or acrylic?

If the former, it's a good spot. If acrylic, you might regret the lost view. And acrylic can be difficult to cut without causing cracks that could result in leaks.

Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2017 :  06:36:08  Show Profile
Hi Scott...

I may have searched here and I did google search other sites. Agree there are mixed results on lifespan. That said - moving air is a valuable drying method. Solar is attractive as No. 922 will be sitting on its trailer without power for the vast majority of my ownership.

Also went through the logic that for the price of one nicro I could buy three lower cost units.

A lesser of two evils area (including where to mount that thing...)

quote:
Originally posted by islander

I suggest you do a search on the reliability of the Nic. Vents. Many have had problems with them and others not. Try the search function here and other forums.

Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2017 :  08:07:25  Show Profile
Glad your hatch is fiberglass. A few later boats had acrylic, which provides a nice view, but IMO is a slip hazard.

My boat had a cutout in the hatch for a vent, but it was blanked off. Reason is probably tripping hazard, as you mentioned.

I always avoid cutting holes wherever possible. Nicro vents create a special problem because they need to be horizontal for sun exposure, plus the reliability issues.

Here's my suggestion: Put a 12v computer fan in the companionway hatchboard, with a separate very small solar panel to power it. (Doesn't take much power.) Make a temporary hatchboard for this if you don't want to cut into your original one. Put a cowl vent or similar over the fan to prevent rain intrusion.

I always hated Nicro vents (still do), and instead opted for a Peltier dehumidifier that drained into the galley sink. It ran off 120v power brick which put out 5-6 amps @12v. In theory you could run one of these off a solar panel, but it needs a pretty beefy solar panel for that.

[EDIT: Hate is too strong a word. I've just been poorly impressed by failures in the field and general reliability problems. My new boat came with one in the hatch, and it has leaked more water into the boat than it's ever removed. If there wasn't a big hole in my nice acrylic hatch, I would remove it.]

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 01/28/2017 09:57:28
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2017 :  10:27:36  Show Profile
Edit noted...

Best,

Carl

quote:

[EDIT:]

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2017 :  13:24:11  Show Profile
quote:

Here's my suggestion: Put a 12v computer fan in the companionway hatchboard, with a separate very small solar panel to power it. (Doesn't take much power.)...
However, the primary objective of the Nicro is for the rechargeable battery to power the fan at night in order to pull out the daytime moisture that condenses on everything as it cools. The cooler outside air that's pulled in has already dropped much of its moisture as dew. I don't know what other electronics are needed to rig a rechargeable battery into the mix--I recall seeing something in my Nicro...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5238 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2017 :  22:30:51  Show Profile
If I could do it over again I would NOT go with a solar-powered Nicro vent. Not that it's not an awesome idea. Using a small, built-in 1/2W solar panel to charge a single C-size NiMH battery and running a very light motor and fan overnight as DaveStinkpotter says is brilliant. The problem is that the motor eventually seizes up and the unit becomes inoperable. The manufacturer graciously offers replacement motors depending on the age of the unit. But it eventually becomes a losing battle.
I would instead purchase a passive cowl-type ventilator and buy a computer fan or a 3" USB fan I found at WestMarine. I took the guts out of a solar light with a LiFe 3VDC 600 mAH battery and it works fine. I haven't figured out where to place the solar panel, that's all. It would be amazing if the original unit worked for, say 10 or more years.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2017 :  22:00:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Carl in LA

Hi All... New topic for Hull 922...

Just in front of the mast on the mast step flat part...

Or on the forward hatch (not flat - curved surface)

Follow-up... what material is inside the core? Is it plywood or some synthetic board?

I have not yet drilled through the deck...

Carl

Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2017 :  22:36:55  Show Profile
My cabin top was end-grain balsa around the chainplates.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2017 :  05:48:50  Show Profile
Thanks Rick...

quote:

My cabin top was end-grain balsa around the chainplates.

Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2017 :  16:38:08  Show Profile
I ended up locating the Nicro under the boom...

But I started with a vent aft as a source for air to come into the boat...

Then went forward for the install.

Centered the device and left enough room to work the canvas buttons behind...

Then the hole saw did its job... (about that hole saw... be careful to really read the instructions, as the first hole size in the instructions is for mounting in a plexi hatch - and it calls for a 4-1/2 inch hole... but if you are mounting through the deck - and want to use the trim ring on the interior - you need to use a 4-3/4 inch hole... I did not read the instructions that closely and used a 4-1/2 hole saw, which did not accept the trim ring - so I had to cut the trim ring to just cover the bottom of the unit - but not slip up into the hole as intended)

Next set the base plate with sealant around the hole, the gasket the device came with, and then a bead of sealant around the outer bottom edge of the plate.

Then the unit just screws into the base plate.

Then the trim ring (with the above consideration)...

Hope it lasts a long time.

Edited by - Carl in LA on 03/17/2017 16:47:37
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2017 :  17:52:47  Show Profile
Nice job!

1998 250WK #331
CILCIA
Steve
Pensacola, FL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page